Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Put an other car 4 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Put an other car 4 brakes?

Hi,

I recently bought an Infiniti I35 with 46 000km on it (a real deal, one owner, an old lady,...). It's an amazing car, but the brakes will need to be changed in the futur. I'm looking at my option to improve the braking power and I've seen a lot of options for the front, but for the rear...

I did a lot of research and I realized that the front is easy to do because the parts are almost the same, but the rear on the fifth gen has the hand brake with the caliper compare to the other cars with the hand brake in the disc.

My question is: there are so many people in this forum, I'm sure some people installed upgraded brake that aren't blehmco Z32 rear big brake or Fastbrake?

Also, I read about the Bias and I was thinking about installing something like the brake system of a G35 (front and rear) that won't mess too much with the Bias, but I would lose the hand brake... Does anyone did something like that?

Thank you very much!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is anyone ever tried to installed the Z31 87-89 rear brake? It uses the caliper hand brake, but with a 43mm piston instead of the 34mm and the rotor is vented, thicker and a little bigger!

It could be an easy swap, no?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:16 AM
^ Jeff™

All 4 from another car?...not an easy swap.

Also using an '89 Z rear caliper will almost no doubt require a bracket...not worth the time/effort for a minimal size increase and still utilizing the damned screw-in piston. Blah. Also, the actual mechanism for the hand brake is set up differently as far as I can tell from pic differences.

Best thing IMO is to utilize a newer Z33 rear caliper and fabricate a hydraulic system. At least you will have better calipers along with larger rotors. Good luck buying Blehmcos...I don't think he's had time to make them for a long time now. Nothing on Matt, he's a great guy, just know he's busy.

Just my opinion, I have stock calipers but on the fastbrakes 12.3" rotor kit which moves the caliper out a little. I really don't like the stock calipers but other rear choices require more work than I can handle right now. Too many side projects currently.

Last edited by MrEous; 06-10-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MrEous
All 4 from another car?...not an easy swap.

Also using an '89 Z rear caliper will almost no doubt require a bracket...not worth the time/effort for a minimal size increase and still utilizing the damned screw-in piston. Blah. Also, the actual mechanism for the hand brake is set up differently as far as I can tell from pic differences.

Best thing IMO is to utilize a newer Z33 rear caliper and fabricate a hydraulic system. At least you will have better calipers along with larger rotors. Good luck buying Blehmcos...I don't think he's had time to make them for a long time now. Nothing on Matt, he's a great guy, just know he's busy.

Just my opinion, I have stock calipers but on the fastbrakes 12.3" rotor kit which moves the caliper out a little. I really don't like the stock calipers but other rear choices require more work than I can handle right now. Too many side projects currently.
Thank you for your reply!

The rear Z31 caliper ins almost a bolt on mod for the S13-14 guys, and really easy to do on the 3rd gen maxima so that's why I taught it wouldn't be too hard to do on a 5.5gen.

If I decide to go with a caliper that doesn't include the hand brake, I'll use the Z32 brake for the look and I'll cancel the hand brake... But I don't know how hard it would be... Maybe the Z31 rotor with a Z32 caliper, because the Z31 rotor look more like the A33 5.5 rotor then the Z32...

I wrote to Matt a PM but he never wrote me back. Same with his E-mail...

I also wrote to fastbrakes.com, because I read that they stop making big brake kit and they still make them but for the reat kit, it's 179$ for 2 rotors to have replacement... It's expensive but it's not my biggest concern, I hope keeping the car for 10 years, what garanty I have that in 10 years they will still make the rear disc for the big brake kit? But if I can use parts that I could find anywere I would know that in 10 years I'll still be able to get parts! Like the fastbrake big brake front kit with the Z32 caliper, it's 300$ and I have to get the pads, the rotors and the calipers! I know that thoses parts I could find them in 10 years without problem!

So that's why I'm trying to figure out what could be installed in the rear!

Thank you!