Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

3rd gen Tokico adjustable shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

3rd gen Tokico adjustable shocks

Has anyone with a 3rd gen adjusted their Tokico shocks from mid firm to max firm?

When I installed my Tokico's 12-13 years ago, not knowing what to expect I remember adjusting the shocks to mid firmness. I'm planning on changing my tie-rods soon and I've been toying with the idea of disassembling all fours struts to re-adjust the shocks.

So, has anyone ever adjusted their 3rd gen (or any other gens) Tokico shocks from mid to max firm and notice a difference? I'm trying to determine if it's worth the hassle
Old 10-03-2014, 05:13 AM

After 12 or 13 years, you probably don't have as much damping as you originally did at the mid settings, so part of any upward adjustment would only be restoring what you used to have.

I didn't realize that for the 3rd gen you'd have to do any disassembly. The Tokico Illuminas on my 5th gen use a simple 5-position screwdriver adjustment right on the tops of the strut shafts.

FWIW, Tokicos seem to be among the harsher-riding shocks/struts, but as you adjust them firmer the rebound control at least improves faster than the bump damping harshness gets worse.

Sorry for the late response, but with the Max in "spare car" status I don't drop in here as often as I used to.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-03-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

toks were never adjustable for the 3rd gen. Koni was the only game in town in regards to adjustment for struts/inserts.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by DanNY
toks were never adjustable for the 3rd gen. Koni was the only game in town in regards to adjustment for struts/inserts.
My bad, I meant to say Koni's