All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Other Displacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Bacon Lover

Other Displacement Options

This mostly pertains to the VQ35, I'll say that right off the bat. I just wanted to discuss extra displacement options beyond 3.5L. I know in the 3.5L swap thread, AEBS's stroker stuff was brought up. However, that stuff is pretty expensive all said and done, right? But, as we know, it's all custom-to-order so you can get whatever parts you want. So I see the following as options:

-Stroker and/or Piston items from AEBS
-Stillen Stuff

That seems to be about it. The VQ40 is out because it's entirely due to the stroke of the engine that requires the new, taller block. I mentioned the Stillen stuff because they do make VQ35 pistons that are 0.5mm overbore, however I don't see that as being worth the price for a measly 37cc increase in displacement ($900), not to mention the severe lowering of the compression ratio. I doubt Stillen is willing to cooperate to do anything other than those specific pistons, either.

As far as AEBS...has it been done to a FWD VQ35-powered car yet? I know it can be, just wondering if a Maxima or Altima has done anything with their parts. Their stroker stuff is starting to interest me, since there's lots of room to increase the stroke in comparison to boring out the block, plus it's a huge (370cc) increase. Does this stroker work on the stock block, or is that something they have to modify as part of installing the whole stroker kit? I can also assume that it's going to be pretty costly for just the rods and crankshaft...or can the stock rods be used?

Feel free to share any positive or negative thoughts, or other options. That's what this thread is here for...

EDIT: Also, while I'm at it: are there any OEM or aftermarket VQ35 performance products like cams, cam gears, etc. that would work on the Max's version? For example, is there anything better about the stock 350Z cam gears, or are there aftermarket ones available for the 350Z that would work for us?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can't provide much on the technical side but I do know there is quite a few engine components available for the Z that we could use including rods, pistons, cams, heads, valvetrain components and more. Check out this link...

http://www.z1auto.com/submodel.asp?m...50z&cat=engine

What I would like to know is if there is a way to build a budget stroker engine. I don't think I really need a race ready crankshaft like AEBS provides
Old 10-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Bacon Lover

Yeah, I've seen that page also. Problem is most of those pistons and stuff are either really low compression or not overbore, so neither is really useable for this instance. So I'm guessing Stillen pistons would be the only semi-affordable overbore option, and they aren't worth it at all. As far as a poor man's stroker kit, that would be extremely nice. One thing I've taken notice to is that the VG30/VE30 both have a slightly longer stroke than the VQ35 (83mm as opposed to 81.4) which is good for another 69cc of displacement. Does anyone know of the VE or VG rods could be used in the VQ35 as a cheaper alternative to gain another 0.1L? I'm assuming the VE parts would be a better choice since they're probably lighter, right? Or are they the same?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Wow great link finally some good parts out there. pricey but oh well
Old 10-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Yeah, I've seen that page also. Problem is most of those pistons and stuff are either really low compression or not overbore, so neither is really useable for this instance. So I'm guessing Stillen pistons would be the only semi-affordable overbore option, and they aren't worth it at all. As far as a poor man's stroker kit, that would be extremely nice. One thing I've taken notice to is that the VG30/VE30 both have a slightly longer stroke than the VQ35 (83mm as opposed to 81.4) which is good for another 69cc of displacement. Does anyone know of the VE or VG rods could be used in the VQ35 as a cheaper alternative to gain another 0.1L? I'm assuming the VE parts would be a better choice since they're probably lighter, right? Or are they the same?
VE and VG would not have a chance in working in a VQ
Old 10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by TILLEYS99
VE and VG would not have a chance in working in a VQ
Well, that cleared that up
Old 10-21-2004, 04:59 PM

Check out this link to this group buy:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=85958

(You'll need to be a member) I'll cut a paste a part of it.

After posting the feeler in the F/I section of the forum, there is clearly great demand for this group buy. Before I get into the details, let me just tell you, that unlike most group buys, I am not making any money or gaining personally from this group buy. As you know, I am an avid poster on the forum, and I am doing this so we can ALL get the best prices on these products. I will pay the exact same price as everyone else...PERIOD...you can call Pauter and Arias directly if you'd like to double check that.

I am telling you this in the spirit of full disclosure, and becuase I want you to trust me that I will follow through with this group buy. I have a full time job, house, etc...and have no need to rip people off, or misrepresent what I am doing here. I am a 350Z enthusiast just like everyone else here. That said..lets get this group buy going!!!

Please read the entire group-buy outline slowly and carefully. It is extremely important that this process is adheared to in order to make this group-buy work.

This is a group buy for a set of Pauter forged steel rods, and Arias forged aluminum pistons. These are the best internals you can buy for your 350Z, both for F/I and N/A applications. Pauter Rods are flawless out of the box, and ready to install, unlike many other rods that require machining and adjusting. Arias has a long standing tradition of quality pistons in the sport compact world, and their reputation speaks for itself. The rods and pistons are the weakest link the 350Z engine, and several recent members have destoryed their engines with F/I due to this. Most of the TT people are getting 8.5:1 compression, and the SC people are leaning towards 9.1 to 9.5:1 compression. This will be the only chance to get these pistons and rods at a HUGE savings...

TIMING: This group buy will run for exactly SEVEN days and end on Monday, August 9th at midnight local time.

Price: Pauter Forged Rods (4340 Chromoly Steel) with rod bolts: $927
Price: Arias Forged (4032 Forged Aluminum) Piston (complete set with rings, wrist pins, and locks...complete) 8.5:1 compression (either stock bore or .020 overbore: $555
Price: Arias Pistons (Complete Set) custom Compression ratio of your choice, and choice of either stock bore or .020 overbore: $665

Complete Forged Pistons 8.5:1 and Rod Set Price: $1482
Complete Forged Pistons Custom Compression Ratio and Rod Set: $1592
Old 10-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

I already have 8.5 to1 pistons and I have a shop so I get cost so those prices arent even that great.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:03 PM

That group buy is over, but it shows there are many options.

Here's a link to another place that sells several interesting products and does custom engine building and head work.

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-sto...ctronics4.html

www.sgpracing.com
Old 10-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Bacon Lover

Unless that stuff has to do with stroking/boring the engine, it has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked. Forged pistons are not a concern of mine, nor are the rods. All those are is lower compression, which would hurt NA performance. Or am I missing something?
Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 PM

Well, this question was part of your original post. I thought the info I posted was relevant to this part of your post.

Originally Posted by Tatanko

EDIT: Also, while I'm at it: are there any OEM or aftermarket VQ35 performance products like cams, cam gears, etc. that would work on the Max's version? For example, is there anything better about the stock 350Z cam gears, or are there aftermarket ones available for the 350Z that would work for us?
As far as the other stuff I posted, it did include info that Arias makes pistons for the VQ35 in whatever compression ratio you want in either stock bore or .20 over.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Bacon Lover

Alright, alright, understandable. But I was referring more to other things besides internals. Also, with those overbore pistons, I'm assuming it's 0.20", not 0.20mm?