All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

mevi Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 AM

mevi Questions

Hi i was interested in getting a mevi because i have all the bolt-ons and am not satisfied with my performance. I know everyone on here prefers the 00' VI but i don;t want to buy a throttle body and do a bunch of modifing. I want a bolt on. I know that courtesy nissan has a kit do you get everything need for install? Like gaskets and things like that? And since ecu reprogramming isn't for 99's i would probably have to manually shift to get the benefits of higher than stock redline? And what benefits do a mevi give you becides it pulls harder top end ie; more power, faster 1/4?? I know i have alot of questions but i want to know b4 i buy one. THANKS!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 AM
I like Maximas

check if your 99 is a cali-spec first, then you'll know if you need MUCH more to get it to be faster.

99 calis have extra emissions equipment like: sh!tty headers, pesky swirl valves in lower IM, and 2 rear after cat sensors.

you will definitely need to manually shift to use extended redline, the auto also shifts crappy in the 2-3 shift at 6100-6200rpm;

not cool i know i have one.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:27 AM

It says calif on my palm dyno scan but i only have 1 02 sensor on the cat? And I was reading about the swirl bypass on the ca models, do you know if there are any gains there low end? Or how to do this?
thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I like Maximas

some 99's came fed spec.. but if you have the huge Vacuum actuator on the Lower IM, then you definitely have those swirl valves.
99 cali's have 4 o2 sensors lined next to each other in front of the valve cover, that's an easy way to identify. also if you have an oxygen sensor in the front header, as opposed to the front y-pipe inlet, then you most likely have cali emissions.

but a sure way to tell is to check on the silver plate on the firewall
on the long line of letters (second line?) BHUL.... if the 12th letter is a V then california it is.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:45 PM

i just hate the thought of losing hp, or transferring it to upper end and then paying another 500 for an ecu to make up for lost horsepower.
but i was interested in the mevi as well...its just the losing horsepower thing that would break my heart.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Subzero
i have all the bolt-ons and am not satisfied with my performance

Automatic has to go.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by chilled
Automatic has to go.
You wanna feel the power your motor REALLY has? 5spd swap
Old 01-06-2006, 04:40 AM

What do you guys really think the hp difference is betwen auto and manual.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:52 AM
SLOW

Its not a HP difference so much its a gearing difference. HP difference is only around 10hp at the power levels talked about here. With any given set of boltons an auto is usually .6-1.0 seconds slower in the 1/4.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:23 PM

If i wanted to spend $2000+ on a manual swap i would just spend a little more and buy a supercharger kit. Or better yet buy a faster car.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:59 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
Man, good point.
"5 speed swap" is pestering to read so repetitively, give it a break guys.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:40 AM
SLOW

Yeah have fun with that used, bare bones SC kit on your stock auto. The guy who spent $2000 on the 5spd swap instead of spending $3000 on a USED 6lb SC on an auto is still going to have the faster car, oh and he'll be getting better gas mileage as well. Oh yes and he won't need to do a DR or VB mod in order to keep his trans from frying itself in 6 months like the bare bones $3000 SC auto guy will either... The guys saying "5spd swap" aren't talking out their *****.

You asked about making your auto faster. The fact is that one of the most straightforward ways to do it is to put a 5spd in it, or buy a 5spd and sell the auto and put your mods on the 5spd. If you aren't willing to do that you're always going to be playing with less than a full deck.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:44 AM

The point is, its not an option. And its annoying that everyone acts like they have some golden information when they keep saying "5 speed swap". I can't imagine that there are actually people oblivious to this option.
Anyway, I don't want to argue about it. And I was not comparing the 5speed to a sc or tc. I dont care for those kits.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:49 AM

And there's always gonna be someone faster.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So does that mean we should all stop modding?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
So does that mean would should all stop modding?
what the hell? english
Old 01-07-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by s0ber
what the hell? english
Fixed fegtard...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Yes that's exactly what I was saying. You hit it right on the head.
Give me a break.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by chillin014
Yes that's exactly what I was saying. You hit it right on the head.
Give me a break.
So what's your point then?

If the object of modifying our cars is to make them faster then a 5-speed swap is no less of a worthwhile mod than a y-pipe is.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Sorry, I've got better things to do than argue.
my point was pretty clear.
Ill be on later.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Custom User Title

1. Shifting manually is bad, it won't get you any higher than stock redline. (Not that I haven't tried doing it)

2. I actually went .2 sec slower with the MEVI vs. W/O when I had my 99. (due to no ECU)

3. 5Spd swap can be done for more around $1200.

5. Doubt that adding a MEVI alone will "satisfy" your performance.

And there's always gonna be someone faster.
I did not know that.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:44 AM

Ill be on later.
No, your point wasn't clear. Break it down for us. Are you for or against 5-speed conversions?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 AM
SLOW

Ill be on later.

Your point is not clear in the slightest... you haven't given a single reason as to why you posted what you did. Why is it not an option? Why should we all stop modding? Why are you so against 5spd conversion when it is FACT that it is one of the best mods an auto owner can do for performance?

You haven't made a "clear point" in this entire thread. All you said was "give it a break" and "there's always someone faster." You haven't given a single reason to back up your position. If you don't want to argue about it that's fine and I can understand that sentiment, but you didn't make a clear point as you seem to think you did because no one has a clue where you're coming from or why you posted what you did. At this point it just seems like you are denying the simple fact that a 5spd swap is a very effective way to make your auto faster.

If you're so against modding what are you doing hanging out in the all motor forum? This isn't the $50 intake and $150 ypipe forum, this forum is for those serious about making their cars faster, and those willing to spend the money to do so.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:41 AM

Some people are not ready for the truth
Old 01-07-2006, 12:12 PM

Oh you guys forgot i said i was going to save the swap money a 5 speed swap spending that much for such little gains, my auto now runs 15.1 what am i going to shave off .75 off 1/4 mile?, i plan to buy a WRX STI this summer, Even the most modded maximas on here could not touch them with the boosted launches. Unless they have more money into the engine than it is worth like most people around here. This way I will have a fast car that holds its book value and won't have to drop major money into it to make it fast. I got nothing against modding i love to do it, but lets face it when its time to get rid of the car you lose all your money.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:21 PM
SLOW

Oh you guys forgot i said i was going to save the swap money a 5 speed swap spending that much for such little gains, my auto now runs 15.1 what am i going to shave off .75 off 1/4 mile?, i plan to buy a WRX STI this summer, Even the most modded maximas on here could not touch them with the boosted launches. Unless they have more money into the engine than it is worth like most people around here. This way I will have a fast car that holds its book value and won't have to drop major money into it to make it fast. I got nothing against modding i love to do it, but lets face it when its time to get rid of the car you lose all your money.

All cars are a poor investment, unless they are a collector car - you're always going to lose money.

.75 seconds is not unreasonable at all to expect as gains from a 5spd swap. About .6 to 1.0 seconds on average is how much quicker a 5spd is with similar mods than an auto. There are 5spds with your mods running 14.2-14.4s.

If you are saving for another car I can understand, but like you realized you didn't mention that before. You (and mostly chillin014) just said basically "don't tell me to do a 5spd swap because I don't want to hear it" which doesn't make any sense in and of itself without some reasoning behind it. If you are planning on buying an STI in the summer though why are you considering dropping $400-500 on an MEVI at all...? I sure wouldn't if I were really getting a new car in 5 months.

Fast is really a term based on ones perspective though - I don't consider a WRX STi fast, then again I do have more money put into mods on this car than it's worth surely. The guy next to me in the Enzo doesn't consider my car fast, the dude in the 7 second rail car doesn't consider the Enzo fast, etc.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
All cars are a poor investment, unless they are a collector car - you're always going to lose money.

.75 seconds is not unreasonable at all to expect as gains from a 5spd swap. About .6 to 1.0 seconds on average is how much quicker a 5spd is with similar mods than an auto. There are 5spds with your mods running 14.2-14.4s.

If you are saving for another car I can understand, but like you realized you didn't mention that before. You (and mostly chillin014) just said basically "don't tell me to do a 5spd swap because I don't want to hear it" which doesn't make any sense in and of itself without some reasoning behind it. If you are planning on buying an STI in the summer though why are you considering dropping $400-500 on an MEVI at all...? I sure wouldn't if I were really getting a new car in 5 months.

Fast is really a term based on ones perspective though - I don't consider a WRX STi fast, then again I do have more money put into mods on this car than it's worth surely. The guy next to me in the Enzo doesn't consider my car fast, the dude in the 7 second rail car doesn't consider the Enzo fast, etc.
Sti's are easy to mod and it doesn't take much to make it run 11-12 second 1/4 mile which with our cars they are harder to make faster for the money.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:22 PM
SLOW

Sti's are easy to mod and it doesn't take much to make it run 11-12 second 1/4 mile which with our cars they are harder to make faster for the money.
I know, what's that have to do with the conversation we were having about MEVIs and 5spd swaps though lol?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Custom User Title

Cheaper than buying an STI...
Old 01-07-2006, 04:29 PM

Give me the underdog status of the maxima any day. STi's are like camaros and mustangs IMO. No 11's or better no care.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:42 PM

alright i'm back.
maybe i didnt make a point, instead i just stated my opinion. which is that its annoying how there's always a couple people who feel the need to post "5 SPEED SWAP" in threads with subjects irrelevant to that. i do understand, he was asking about performance, but im referring to other threads too.
i am NOT against 5 speed swaps. and i'm also not denying that its a great performance gain.
i guess since now i'm taking a "position"(look what i've gotten myself into). my stance is that its not as simple as just swapping it out for most people. this point has been made before, and some people just want to gain performance with what they have. there is reasons to keep the auto (for daily drivers). and i've thought about it alot, i'd rather have my auto, and i know i'm not the only one.
but like i said, this subject of auto vs. manual is exhausted. you can argue until your blue in the face, but i simply dont care, because i'm HAPPILY staying auto no matter what anyone says.
im very satisfied with my cars performance.
so i was basically trying to say, before i knew i'd be interrogated, that i think it is annoying when people throw that out there constantly. okay? thats all i was saying.
and i'm OBSESSED with modding. i'm ALL FOR getting the best time you can get on the track, and whoopin' up on other cars. but someone saying "your cars potential is being restricted by your transmission, so your slower than so and so" doesnt help anyone who's trying to make due with what they have.
and for those of you who dont think there is anyone faster than you. puff puff pass me what your smokin'.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Give me the underdog status of the maxima any day. STi's are like camaros and mustangs IMO. No 11's or better no care.
im with you on that one too. that defines my obsession with the maxima.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:36 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

i guess since now i'm taking a "position"(look what i've gotten myself into). my stance is that its not as simple as just swapping it out for most people. this point has been made before, and some people just want to gain performance with what they have. there is reasons to keep the auto (for daily drivers). and i've thought about it alot, i'd rather have my auto, and i know i'm not the only one.

but like i said, this subject of auto vs. manual is exhausted. you can argue until your blue in the face, but i simply dont care, because i'm HAPPILY staying auto no matter what anyone says.
"there is reasons to keep the auto (for daily drivers). and i've thought about it alot, i'd rather have my auto, and i know i'm not the only one."

Automatics can be great - I upgraded to a '99 Infiniti VLSD auto 'cause I got tired of spinning just one tire, and have used the DR-mod for hard shifts for two years. A good tranny cooler (B&M 16GVW) and Mobil1 oil makes it good - 2.0 60' and 13.6's on spray last year.

I just got back from road-testing my Edge 3000-stall torque converter - d*mn, I can launch harder now - you'd think it was a 5-spd, except it shifts faster.

Oh, "Hi i was interested in getting a mevi because i have all the bolt-ons and am not satisfied with my performance. " where this thread started - I have a MEVI w/custom controller, and it works as advertised - HP curve stays high at redline....
Old 01-07-2006, 05:53 PM

Thank you man.
I got a friend that complains about the 1 wheel thing haha.
I'm waiting to hear from another org member about the highstall converter, I'm interested in that. You put it on your daily driver?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:23 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Thank you man.
I got a friend that complains about the 1 wheel thing haha.
I'm waiting to hear from another org member about the highstall converter, I'm interested in that. You put it on your daily driver?
Yep - I can drive it anywhere - It's a pretty good sleeper on the street. With normal throttle, you forget it's there.

Call/Email Andre at Edge and ask about converters for Maximas - the man knows his stuff. I can brake the car, bring the engine up to 2000 and release the brake and floor the throttle - the car feels like you just dumped the clutch on a manual. Lots of tire spin and other drama. Gonna take some practice at the strip. I'm going to re-connect the dual-stage NX setup tomorrow if the weather holds and see how the Edge works. Heh, heh...
Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM

thanks man, ill check it out.
I remember someone saying something against the high stall torque converters but ill have to recheck it, they might have been talking about torque breaking.
Some thread in the 4th gen forums.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:36 PM
SLOW

alright i'm back.
maybe i didnt make a point, instead i just stated my opinion. which is that its annoying how there's always a couple people who feel the need to post "5 SPEED SWAP" in threads with subjects irrelevant to that. i do understand, he was asking about performance, but im referring to other threads too.
i am NOT against 5 speed swaps. and i'm also not denying that its a great performance gain.
im very satisfied with my cars performance.
so i was basically trying to say, before i knew i'd be interrogated, that i think it is annoying when people throw that out there constantly. okay? thats all i was saying.
and i'm OBSESSED with modding. i'm ALL FOR getting the best time you can get on the track, and whoopin' up on other cars. but someone saying "your cars potential is being restricted by your transmission, so your slower than so and so" doesnt help anyone who's trying to make due with what they have.
and for those of you who dont think there is anyone faster than you. puff puff pass me what your smokin'.

There we go, NOW it's clear where you're coming from and I understand.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
There we go, NOW it's clear where you're coming from and I understand.
whew, thank you. haha.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:23 AM

whew, thank you. haha.
You should still get a damn 5-spd swap...

lol j/p.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:41 AM

lol, i could kill someone. just messin.