All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

trouble with plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

trouble with plugs

UPDATE: see post below

Hey guys, I was changing my plugs the other day when I found that the first coil I pulled from the rear bank was covered in oil, so I didn't change the rear spark plugs. I figured it was the seal on the valve cover so I called Dave B. and ordered a new VC and gasket and now I'm going to change out the rears.

Well, I already changed the rear VC but now I'm having trouble getting the oil out of the chamber (on top of the spark plugs). Anybody have any suggestions? I can't fit very many things down there, and I got some of the oil out, but there's still plenty in there. I almost said to hell with getting the oil out and I was going to remove the spark plug, but now I found that I can't even do that! It's almost as if there's no head on the spark plug that my socket will catch on, or something is in there blocking my socket from going deep enough to catch....

I got the other two off fine and replaced them, but cylinder 5 (of course, the one closest to the center of the car ) is the one I'm having trouble with.

CLIFFS: I can't get the spark plug out of cylinder 5, and it seems like theres somthing in there blocking my socket from making contact with the head. Any suggestions?

EDIT: oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that I found this piece inside my deep well socket when trying to remove the spark plug out of cylinder 5. what the hell is it?? The #5 coil looks just the same as the other two and there's nothing missing from the head...what the hell?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:39 AM

UPDATE: Ok so I got the plug out..it seems there was some foreign material surrounding the plug, so I got enough of it out to be able to catch the head with the socket and I was able to get it out. When it came out, most of the oil came with it, but just a little bit flowed down the sides and caught on the small lip...I'm going to use my pliers to hold a q-tip to get the rest of the oil out, so that is solved

But I still would like to know what that little piece of rubber is...it almost looks like the tip of a coil, but all of my coils look fine
Old 11-04-2006, 11:49 AM

That looks like the rubber boot from your spark plug socket. All plug sockets have them so that the plug stays with the socket when installing/removing them.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by eng92
That looks like the rubber boot from your spark plug socket. All plug sockets have them so that the plug stays with the socket when installing/removing them.
alright, that's probably what it was, then!

Well now my car won't hold an idle...

It almost seems throttle body related, because at first it'll start up and rev to about 1k, then it'll drop and stall. But if I give it gas, it seems like the TB sticks and it holds the revs for a couple seconds after I release the pedal. This isn't a bad coil, is it? I double checked all the connections and everything's set so that's not it...what should I look for now? I really don't want to have to remove the stupid IM again..ugh

There's no SES light yet, but that might just be beacuse the car can't stay started long enough
Old 11-04-2006, 12:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Check and see if all the ports are connected on the IM, most nameley the one in the rear of the IM.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Check and see if all the ports are connected on the IM, most nameley the one in the rear of the IM.
Yep...I'm going to go check if I may have switched the two bottom hoses around...it's the only possiblity that I can think of because everything on top looks excellent, and all of my coils are connected properly...
Old 11-04-2006, 12:41 PM

nope that wasn't it...the hose closest to the front of the car wont even reach the back one so it's not a possibility...I'm uploading a video of it right now..

EDIT: alright, youtube is horribly slow, so this might not work just yet, but it will : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYDnBh6Rtck
Old 11-04-2006, 01:34 PM

ok so I took off my IM, made sure everything was plugged in properly on the VC and it was, and reinstalled the IM...now everything works I must have just left something unplugged that I didn't catch the first time or something

Anyway, looking at the old VC, I don't even think I needed to replace it...it has those rubber seals that slip over the spark plug chamber and I think that the seals just slipped upward causing it to leak...they all look fine with no cracks and the appear to be in the right position...oh well at least I have a new Valve cover and the rubber seals did seem a bit more firm so they'll probably last a lot longer..
Old 11-04-2006, 03:41 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
But I still would like to know what that little piece of rubber is...it almost looks like the tip of a coil, but all of my coils look fine
That's totally weird - I had the same thing happen to me today. I had to take the plug back out, when I pulled the plug out of the socket, the rubber boot came with it.

I cleaned the boot and the socket with acetone and superglued the boot back in the socket. Hope that's done.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Need A Light?

glad everything worked out colin...