All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Pathfinder TB - ?'s/concerns/thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 AM
Still kickin'

Exclamation Pathfinder TB - ?'s/concerns/thoughts

Hey guys! I've been doing my homework and (re)searching on this, but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. I just got a pathfinder TB and mounting bracket as well as a MEVI from a good friend of mine. I'm going to be installing it in a week or two . Anyway, I was mocking it up and saw that I would have to mill/machine/grind down the mating surface of the manifold to match the overall diameter of the PF TB and mounting bracket. Grinding it down isn't an issue, I'm pretty good with a Dremel and it's not bolted up yet so that will certainly make things easier. Now the questions:

1.) If I don't mill the manifold down, would the uneven/non-matching mating surface between the adapter plate and the manifold cause any reversion problems with the air-flow that could cause idle or other problems?

2.) When porting out the manifold, I have read that you want to be careful how far in you step the porting job because of the wall thickness past the flange area. How deep is it recommended to port the manifold? (this would give me a good idea on the "angle of attack")

3.) This is more a hypothetical question. I was thinking about creating small reliefs at a ~20-30* angle from the perpindicular (~60-70* from the horizontal) of the flange all the way around the inside of the manifold to the necessary port matched depth at the inner radius of the reliefs, leaving smooth, ramped "fins" equi-distant/angle. With the air being directed in a circular rotation, could that actually help by creating a "swirl" to the incoming air? Again, this is a hypothetical question, but when I thought about it, it seemed like something that I should ask you knowledgable peeps.

-My initial thoughts on the "swirl/vortex" is that it'll likely just be more of a hassle than a helper, but at the same time I could see it creating a more solid stream of air as it enters the MEVI. Of course, I would have to take a stab in the dark choosing the right direction in which to grind the reliefs so that it doesn't counteract the inherent flow characteristcs of the incoming air and the manifold itself. Right now I believe counter-clockwise would be the way to go. When the air theoretically "hits" the end of the intake manifold, any reversion would cycle towards the runners rather than away (I know I'm way over-simplifying the fluid dynamics, but the principles are still similar... I think... ). I doubt that it would make any noticible gains hp/tq wise, but it's a nice little tid-bit to chew on.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. So nice to finally be modding again after a couple years of inactivity.

George.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Still kickin'

anybody have any insight to any of the questions?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
1.) If I don't mill the manifold down, would the uneven/non-matching mating surface between the adapter plate and the manifold cause any reversion problems with the air-flow that could cause idle or other problems?
Yes..must mill down just be carefull using the Dremel beacuse it will be quite hard to make it entirely even and perfect without gouging into the metal along the way. You might wanna find a Big sanding wheel and go after it with that and make sure the Manifold is OFF the car. It will make it easier.

2.) When porting out the manifold, I have read that you want to be careful how far in you step the porting job because of the wall thickness past the flange area. How deep is it recommended to port the manifold? (this would give me a good idea on the "angle of attack")
Bolt up the first plate for the adaptor and just mill down till its even. No need to go past that at all. You want to mill till its even all the way though.

When I milled down my 00VI, the milling went past the gasket for the TB. I had to make a gasket for it since there was no grove left. Im not sure what youll have to do for the MEVI but something similar.

3.) This is more a hypothetical question. I was thinking about creating small reliefs at a ~20-30* angle from the perpindicular (~60-70* from the horizontal) of the flange all the way around the inside of the manifold to the necessary port matched depth at the inner radius of the reliefs, leaving smooth, ramped "fins" equi-distant/angle. With the air being directed in a circular rotation, could that actually help by creating a "swirl" to the incoming air? Again, this is a hypothetical question, but when I thought about it, it seemed like something that I should ask you knowledgable peeps.
I wouldnt bothering doing the Vortex swirl idea...seems like a waste of time.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:10 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I'm gonna guess that the swirl effect is going to be produce a very small and imeasurable effect. I'm thinking that the air has a long way to travel after the throttle plate and thus all the swirling that is produced will be lost due to distance and the turns the air must take to flow into the runners. At the same time, I can't see it being detrimental if there are no protrusions into the flow path so why not go for it.