All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Please Help Me I Dont Know What To Do!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:50 PM

Please Help Me I Dont Know What To Do!

So I was planning on doing a swap into my 97 maxima this spring since it just blew a head gasket and needs $3000(estimate) to get up and running. My machanic says that the swap is a big job and will never be in good running condition and there will always be something wrong with it. He says none of the wiring will hook up and that i will have CEL on all the time and might not pass emisions. My dad is also saying the same thing but only becuase the machanic is. I really wanna do teh swap becuase I think it will be better then fixing the orignal engine. I need help on this issue. Please give me all the PROS and CONS of doing the swap. People with the swap done give me your opinion and how did the whole prosses go?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:56 PM

if the mechanic is saying it will never run right, then why would you even consider letting that mechanic do the swap for you?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:09 PM

I agree with Chillin'... I had a conversation with a mechanic who has his own shop and he was fixed on the idea that it was impossible. I Didnt argue with him or say anything.. I just acted like I was completely blind about the idea. After I was finished with it, the mechanic shows up to my work to see how i'm doing and I tell him I wanted him to check something out. We go outside and I open the hood... he's like why does it look different.... I tell him and he's like how did you do it?? So I give him vague details and he starts saying "well of course it would fit that way!"

Mechanics-- you just will never win with them

As far as codes: you shouldnt get any codes if you hook up the wiring right.. the only thing I had coming on was the MAP/BARO solenoid which I plugged up the vacuum lines and it went away. But you should be codeless.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:29 PM

It would obviously cost more in the long run but.. Why not get a cheap 30DE to put in for now and you'll have your old 30 to pick at when you eventually get your 35.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
It would obviously cost more in the long run but.. Why not get a cheap 30DE to put in for now and you'll have your old 30 to pick at when you eventually get your 35.
I like this idea. It will get you
1- ur parents wont complain because ur mechanic wont complain
2- no worries with emmissions
3- you have a parts motor available, so that when you DO go forth with a swap you can pretty much assemble the engine in the garage WHILE you still drive your car around. Making your actual swap time only one day long (at least to me thats how long it would take for me to do it like that).

I currently have codes on my 3.5 swap for
- IACV (there is none, lol)
- RH upstream o2 sensor (probably blew it during the swap, i accudentally left it on the floor and it rained on it)
- EGR Temp (no EGR on 02-03 motors, fixable with a resistor)