All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

EVAP, EGR & Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

EVAP, EGR & Emissions

Well Harper has finally done it (Please proceed to sauce both of your nuts in the fryer, Harper). It was only a matter of time. The rest of Canada (including us in QC) will be getting a mandatory emissions test every 2 years. Us with 12-year old+ cars will be getting a lovely letter sometime this summer. So my S13 will be subjected to an emission test in 2007 and in 2009.

Now since im using a 2003 maxima motor with 1995 ECU & electrical system, the VQ35 should pollute slightly less than the original 1989 KA24E it came with, right?

Also, will my E-manage Ultimate pose any problems with this? Is a temporary swap to a completely stock ECU necessary?

Anyway, assuming my (future) aftermarket exhaust system has the right cats, resonators and exhausts (it will be dual), what else do I need to pass emissions (Same as Ontario)? I have 3 brand new oxygen sensors that I just got done wired as stock (including all 3 respective heater grounds - the 3rd wire).

Will Headers pass? I have these on: (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-05...yphotohosting). I also thought about using my (current) temporary exhaust system and put super restrictive stock maxima exhaust, resonator and cat for good measure. Should take all of 15 minutes to swap out. Thats a giant f*ck you in your face, Harper. My pleasure.

What about EVAP? Necessary? If so Ill need the EVAP canister-purge from the maxima and the one from the 240 wont work I imagine.

What about EGR? If its absolutely necessary I will just swap the (future) ITBs temporarily for a stock 2k4 intake manifold (since they come with EGR) with some sort of scavenged, half-assed, makeshift EGR system.

Id like to know if any of you guys have passed emissions without EGR, EVAP or both. And Id like to know if its possible to fool the ECU with resistors and such into thinking its running both, and if so what I need to do for this. If so does fooling the ECU make you pass emissions succesfully?

And finally, Ive never voted in my life and probably never will, but Harper would be below all the other jerkoffs on my list. And thats not high praise. Like our good old friend Em said, its not that we dont like it, we hate you, period.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:17 PM

Jclaw, it sounds like you were born about 30 years to late.

This is not a political issue, it is an environmental one. It really does not matter what party is in power. In this day and age, it would be political suicide not to have an aggressive position on environmental issues.

We have had e-testing in Ontario for years. It really is not a big deal. They do a quick visual inspection to verify that the factory smog equipment is present and then they measure tail pipe emissions at idle and under load at 2500 rpm.

If you have a functioning cat, egr and O2 sensors, then you should have no problems passing.

If your testing spec is the same as ours, you are in luck. Cars with engine swaps are considered "hot rods" and only have to meet 1980 emissions standards.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by eng92

If your testing spec is the same as ours, you are in luck. Cars with engine swaps are considered "hot rods" and only have to meet 1980 emissions standards.
OMFG thats awesome!!

But if you have a strict inspection, you could always weld up an EGR tube and connect it and all but not actually cut a hole in the exhaust, so its just there for looks. Then with a cat and proper tuning its not an issue.

Basically make it appear to have the stock emissions and you should be set.

The VQ evap wouldn't be hard to hook up really. Unless it uses sensors and stuff the stock ECU controls, but the 240's system is super simple and can be hooked up w/o a problem.

~Alex

Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 PM

Jclaw, it sounds like you were born about 30 years to late.
Yes please. Had I been born in 1956 instead of 1986 I would have forgone all this fuel injection crap and would have went ahead with a carburated 454 ci with longtubes shoved in a 1971 Datsun with no interior.

This is not a political issue, it is an environmental one. It really does not matter what party is in power. In this day and age, it would be political suicide not to have an aggressive position on environmental issues..
Hey just because im 20 doesnt mean I am oblivious to how it works. Im venting, half serious. Im just sick and tired of the media focussing almost entirely on automotive pollution when it only represents about 15% of it all. Its always easier to crush the little guy.

I know it would be the same with any party, thats why I refuse to vote. Its a sheer, complete, total excercise in pointlessness. Its just that I dont perticularly like Harper, no matter how hard and long he tries, his speeches amount to a whole lot of nothing, constipated look and all.

We have had e-testing in Ontario for years. It really is not a big deal. They do a quick visual inspection to verify that the factory smog equipment is present and then they measure tail pipe emissions at idle and under load at 2500 rpm.
By factory smog equipment you mean the cats and the rest of the exhaust... basically with an EGR and EVAP that APPEARS to be working but isnt functional at all. As long as the cats and exhaust are restrictive enough.

If you have a functioning cat, egr and O2 sensors, then you should have no problems passing.
What about EVAP.

So the EGR & EVAP will mean precisely jack sh*t right. Well it should be the same. And if it isnt the same Ill have one more reason to hate Harper lol

And while were on the subject of EGR... Ive read on the .org that it causes higher CC temps when removed. Is that true? Any way to avoid that? Can it be avoided by using resistors to fool the ECU into thinking the EGR is still on?

Reason im asking is that back when I had the VQ35 in my max I was running no EGR or IACV and it seemed like the ECU was pulling timing on and off. Sometimes the car would trap 99-100 mph, sometimes it would literally wake up and trap 104-105 mph. It was intermittent. Nismology made a point that the EGR removal could definately cause something like that. And then theres the higher CC temps... Im just trying to get the car running with no EGR without the bad side effects (like the supposed gas mileage drop). Fooling the ECU with resistors sounds tempting in order for it to run fine.

This is especially important on my car since I already have my E-U waiting to be installed (once the car runs) and I plan on advancing the timing to 35 degrees WOT. So I dont want the EGR to cause intermittent knock or anything dangerous to the engine.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
But if you have a strict inspection, you could always weld up an EGR tube and connect it and all but not actually cut a hole in the exhaust, so its just there for looks. Then with a cat and proper tuning its not an issue.
They check for HC, CO and NOx emissions. I do not think you will pass the NOx portion without a functioning egr system.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Weclome to my world...

Over the last few years the emissons tests down here have shaped how I mod this car and what I can and can't get away with.

One of the reasons I bought a '96 Maxima was to avoid the pipe testing they perform on cars from 1984 ~ 1995, which are tested for NOx, CO, and HC emissons. 1983 and older cars are exempt from any emissons testing and can pollute freely.

Problem is I have to pass OBD2 scan testing and they allow no CELs and all SRTs have to be ready. It used to be no CELs and you would pass. A couple of years ago people got smart and reset ECUs before testing, so now they require all SRTs to be ready. They just plug the car into a central computer and it reads the ECU and they pass you based on that.

For us all aftermarket exhausts are illegal and engine swaps are only allowed from the same car. (IE 4th gen from a 4th gen) Luckily alot of these shops don't care and I have yet to see any shop do a visual inspection on a car's emisson equipment.

In your case I would fab up a makeshift EGR and rig up the EVAP canister. Luckily EVAP is very easy on a '95 Fed spec Maxima ECU because it's mechanical, but the EGR will take some work. Also if you don't have ethanol laced gasoline up there, throw in some dry gas or some other alcohol based gasoline treatment. The extra oxygen in the additive helps to reduce some emissons, in the same reason older cars used to have an air pump feeding a cat converter.

Make sure to run OEM cat converters, alot of aftermarket ones don't have good amounts of rare metals in their washcoats to clean exhaust fumes. There is a reason why a OEM Maxima cat costs $600~$700 Vs. a $100 aftermarket style one.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:38 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by JClaw
....Reason im asking is that back when I had the VQ35 in my max I was running no EGR or IACV and it seemed like the ECU was pulling timing on and off. Sometimes the car would trap 99-100 mph, sometimes it would literally wake up and trap 104-105 mph. It was intermittent. Nismology made a point that the EGR removal could definately cause something like that. And then theres the higher CC temps... Im just trying to get the car running with no EGR without the bad side effects (like the supposed gas mileage drop). Fooling the ECU with resistors sounds tempting in order for it to run fine.
I seem to remember that the EGR is disabled at WOT by the ECU ????

And since I was born before 1956 - before the last Ice Age, actually - , I think you would have really enjoyed bolting huge V8s in little cars - before smog control came along... There's nothing like snapping the mainshaft off a transmission, or having to point the car exactly before dropping the clutch so you don't smack a wall or kill bystanders. Ah, the good 'ol days....
Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 AM

Alright. For the exhaust I am going to have 2 systems: one dual that does not make a whole lot of sound but is not very restrictive. The second one will be as restrictive as a stock maxima system (stock cats, resonator and exhaust).

I think the 2k4 manifold is a good idea. The only problem is that my headers have NO EGR port. Is it possible to rig up the EGR RIGHT after the headers (they are pretty short) and obtain the same result...

Since my car is an 89 they wont check for codes or any of that OBII crap I assume. Does that mean the test will not be as script for the amount of emissions?

They check for HC, CO and NOx emissions. I do not think you will pass the NOx portion without a functioning egr system.
Is this statement valid if I only have to pass 1980 emissions?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 AM

Here is the response I recieved from an email to our provincial drive clean program.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Ontario's Drive Clean.

My name is Amanda and I will try to answer your question.

In your message you've asked:
How would a vehicle be tested if is equipped with a different engine?

This vehicle may qualify for Hot Rod Status. Drive Clean defines a Hot Rod as a motor vehicle that is model year 1999 or older, in which the original motor has been replaced with a motor of a type and block size not installed by the manufacturer on that model year of motor vehicle. These vehicles are NOT exempt from emissions testing. They require the same test procedure and frequency of any other Light Duty Vehicle of the registered make, model and year. Hot Rod owners will need evidence to show that the motor is a different type from what was offered by the manufacturer on that particular model year. The onus is on the vehicle owner to prove that the motor is completely different from what was originally installed by the manufacturer. The basis of the decision is the engine block. If the replacement block is essentially identical to what was offered on the vehicle in question when new, the vehicle is not considered to be a Hot Rod. Hot Rods are tested to 1980 Standards.

If I don't hear back from you, I will assume that this answers your question and I will close your case accordingly. Please be assured that you can reopen this case at any time if you need additional assistance by replying to this message.

Regards,
Customer Service Representative
Ontario Drive Clean Program
1-888-758-2999
Below is a list of the testing limits by year.

1996+ vehicles
HC - 1
CO - 21
NOx - 41

1988-1991
HC - 1
CO - 21
NOx - 42

1980 and earlier
HC - 10
CO - 30
NOx - 51
Old 03-23-2007, 07:54 AM

Awesome. I still have the receipt of my first VQ35DE bought December 2004 and it says I paid 1380$, but I really payed 600$ for my current engine, minus the 40$ I made from the cats.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 AM
3.5 in the works

Gee whiz look at that my car's a 1998 and qualifies for hot rod status. That was no accident let me tell you.. lol

I'm just hoping they don't ever start the readyness tests here.. that will be a major headache. As it is now I can deal with the tail pipe testing, it's not that hard to pass even modded with headers and the whole shebang as long as the cat, EGR and O2's are good.

JClaw I doubt you'll need the EVAP to pass. Just the other 3... but here they test the gas gap too for leakage, dunno in Quebec. Actually, maybe you don't need EGR for 1980's standards.. not sure.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by JClaw
And while were on the subject of EGR... Ive read on the .org that it causes higher CC temps when removed. Is that true?
This is true. The exhaust gas displaces air in the combustion chamber and there is less heat energy generated. Usually, the computer can then advance ignition timing. So, without the egr, you end up with slightly more timing than there should be. I'm sure if you get the engine flowing better (seems like you are) this won't be an issue.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 AM
3.5 in the works

He can control timing with the EU anyways.

And I believe Grey mentioned it earlier, but EGR does not operate under WOT conditions.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 AM

This is great info you guys have going here. Lately I've been hearing rumors of emmission testing coming back to Florida FTL, but havent seen any evidence of this. But just in case, I'm learning about what goes on with e-testing. We havent had e-testing in FL since ~00ish, and I got my car in 03, so I never had to go through e-testing thankfully. Obviously your e-testing regulations in Canada could differ from those imposed here in FL, but it gives me a good idea of what to expect if the rumor is true