All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

GI in 6speed timing rings for the vq30ecu

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

GI in 6speed timing rings for the vq30ecu

ok Im starting to get a lot of 6speed pms. Maniley about the 6speed timing ring.
Ok I custom made mine in the shop and the car runs fine na even hard na driving but when I get into boost the signal get distorted and the injectors cut out. Me and tilley had this same problem. Ok well im going to make the second attemp to get this worked out. Im going to a machine shop this time as I made my own last time it was very close but it was welded and it has a slight woble. And may be out of balance just like a tire it only wobbles at cretain speeds like my ring it breaks up at a surtain rpms.
Well this time it will be a fully bolt on ring with a spacer kit so you would not have to move or guess where the cps sensor would go. You would be able to leave it in the stock location. So it would be a fully bolt on kit.This kit would be only for aftermarket 6speed flywheels. If anyone had a auto flex plate and did not want it would help me with the project as I dont have anymore of them. I need it just to get a measurement.
I should have the out come on this in about a week.
Old 07-30-2007 | 05:33 PM

Good looking. I am having a custom ring made for my swap, although it will not need a spacer (since I am using the FWD flywheel.) I'll see if I can have this machinist ship my auto flex plate back to you once he finishes using it as a template.

I haven't finalized the details with the machinist--if things don't work out, I may have to go through your guy.
Old 07-30-2007 | 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by tsaulz
Good looking. I am having a custom ring made for my swap, although it will not need a spacer (since I am using the FWD flywheel.) I'll see if I can have this machinist ship my auto flex plate back to you once he finishes using it as a template.

I haven't finalized the details with the machinist--if things don't work out, I may have to go through your guy.
It will have to have some type of off set to work. It does not matter fwd or rwd. You will need it to set in place not just on the flywheel.
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:04 PM

Did Travis's ring use a spacer? I thought that his ring bolted on to the 3.5 flywheel in position for the CPS w/o realignment of the sensor.
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by tsaulz
Did Travis's ring use a spacer? I thought that his ring bolted on to the 3.5 flywheel in position for the CPS w/o realignment of the sensor.
No from what I understand from max5speed he had to cut out and move sensor and try to get in the right place. He used Travis ring
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:28 PM

The offset is different only with RWD flywheels.
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:36 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=115 :

And, if you're scratching your head about the CPS ring issue, since we will be running the A32 ECU/harness with a 6spd.. here's how we got around it..

I had a CPS ring cut out on a water-jet machine, out of 1/8" steel. This ring bolts to a VQ35DE FWD flywheel from JWT, which puts the teeth in the correct location for the sensor to read.

Travis
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
The offset is different only with RWD flywheels.
Timing ring off set has to be about the same because when maxspeed switched from the 350z to the maxima6speed wheel he did not have to move his sensor
Old 07-30-2007 | 07:22 PM

That would only make sense if perhaps the custom timing rings were a different thickness than the OEM 6-speed timing ring, i.e. thicker so that the CPS can still read from it despite the offset being different. As far as the 6-speed VQ35 timing rings are concerned, the offset is absolutely different.
Old 07-30-2007 | 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
That would only make sense if perhaps the custom timing rings were a different thickness than the OEM 6-speed timing ring, i.e. thicker so that the CPS can still read from it despite the offset being different. As far as the 6-speed VQ35 timing rings are concerned, the offset is absolutely different.
Yeah im not sure about the stock timing ring being differant. the flywheel off set as to where it mounts should be about the same
Old 07-30-2007 | 07:41 PM

Dude, the stock timing ring offset is different between FWD and RWD, period. SR20 discovered this a couple years back. The questions come in to play when custom rings are made.
Old 07-30-2007 | 07:52 PM

ok. Im going to get back on point here and make my ring again and see if I can help some other with aftemarket flywheels Rwd/or fwd
Old 07-30-2007 | 07:58 PM

Hey I see your post here. That cool. i just wondering why maxspeed had to move his for the rwd but left it in the same position for the fwd flywheel he later swaped to. If that is right what traivs said your in luck and it should work with no problem. I may be the only one that has to have the spacer due to using the rwd flywheel. I can honestly say because I dont have them both infront me but im going by his word on not moving the sensor again back to stock location. I know with the rwd flywheel you will have to move the ring closer to the block.
Old 07-31-2007 | 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by 95turbo gxe
Hey I see your post here. That cool. i just wondering why maxspeed had to move his for the rwd but left it in the same position for the fwd flywheel he later swaped to. If that is right what traivs said your in luck and it should work with no problem. I may be the only one that has to have the spacer due to using the rwd flywheel. I can honestly say because I dont have them both infront me but im going by his word on not moving the sensor again back to stock location. I know with the rwd flywheel you will have to move the ring closer to the block.
Looking at my FWD flywheel, there is no way I could fit a spacer for the timing ring, because then the ring would hit the block. How much were you looking to pay for these rings? Fred Burge's machinist in Arizona gave me a pretty good quote on one (much cheaper than the $400 a local machinist wanted.)