All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Shift_Fast Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:28 AM

Shift_Fast Question

hi there, i've got a couple of questions about the shift_fast mod that are aimed more so at gray99max and Jime in particular, but obviously if anyone else can help me that would be great too.

1. how does the "shift_fast" mod feel at part throttle?
2. with the TC lockup, how does that feel? if you engage the TC lockup while idle what happens? light throttle in a lower gear?

Basically, i'm attempting to develop a system that turns the automatic into a manual without doing the actual swap, this mod will be using a "daytona" style shifter and everything.. all up looking to be around $200AUD (about $180US)

if question 1 is a problem i figure i'll just soften the solinoid output with some resistsors (varistor so i can tune of course, hell, i might be able to have a softer first -> second gear change thats nicer than factory.)

question 2 might be some what more difficult to implement if its not a smooth transition, (who wants clunking in first gear everytime they take their foot off the pedal.) what i might have to do is miss the tc locking on first gear and just have it lock on all other gears, (unless going WOT in first, then a "clunk" might be acceptable). what do you think?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Bacon Lover

You do not want this turned on constantly, not at ALL. You will destroy your transmission. At part throttle it will feel like you're being rear-ended every time you make a shift. TC lockup isn't something you want to do at low RPM's for the most part, especially not at idle. There would be little to no benefit unless you're cruising.

If you want as close to a manual as possible, I suggest taking a look at Jime's SupraStick thread.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:24 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by mywhitewolf
hi there, i've got a couple of questions about the shift_fast mod that are aimed more so at gray99max and Jime in particular, but obviously if anyone else can help me that would be great too.

1. how does the "shift_fast" mod feel at part throttle?
2. with the TC lockup, how does that feel? if you engage the TC lockup while idle what happens? light throttle in a lower gear?

Basically, i'm attempting to develop a system that turns the automatic into a manual without doing the actual swap, this mod will be using a "daytona" style shifter and everything.. all up looking to be around $200AUD (about $180US)

if question 1 is a problem i figure i'll just soften the solinoid output with some resistsors (varistor so i can tune of course, hell, i might be able to have a softer first -> second gear change thats nicer than factory.)

question 2 might be some what more difficult to implement if its not a smooth transition, (who wants clunking in first gear everytime they take their foot off the pedal.) what i might have to do is miss the tc locking on first gear and just have it lock on all other gears, (unless going WOT in first, then a "clunk" might be acceptable). what do you think?
Fair questions. Simple answers....

1. Don't use the Shift_Fast mods on the street, unless you are racing. Or anywhere else except on a straight track. It does very well there, and will drive you crazy and break your transmission if used for normal street driving.

2. Locking the torque converter at any speed takes all the slack out of the tranny - when you slow down with the TC locked, you will stall your engine when the car stops. When the tranny changes gears, there is a jerk. This is also not for normal street driving.

If you want a better all-around driving solution, get Jime's discovery and install it. If you want to build your own, install Jime's solution first and then see if you can build something better. This way you will still have your original transmission in your car. If you have the urge to experiment, tap into the transmission control lines for shift solenoids and TC solenoid and record how those three solenoids are switched by the TCU.

Personally, I like how my car shifts normally when driving normally. The Shift_Fast is for when I want to Go_Fast.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
Fair questions. Simple answers....

1. Don't use the Shift_Fast mods on the street, unless you are racing. Or anywhere else except on a straight track. It does very well there, and will drive you crazy and break your transmission if used for normal street driving.

2. Locking the torque converter at any speed takes all the slack out of the tranny - when you slow down with the TC locked, you will stall your engine when the car stops. When the tranny changes gears, there is a jerk. This is also not for normal street driving.

If you want a better all-around driving solution, get Jime's discovery and install it. If you want to build your own, install Jime's solution first and then see if you can build something better. This way you will still have your original transmission in your car. If you have the urge to experiment, tap into the transmission control lines for shift solenoids and TC solenoid and record how those three solenoids are switched by the TCU.

Personally, I like how my car shifts normally when driving normally. The Shift_Fast is for when I want to Go_Fast.
+1

like everyone said, look at the suprastick and Jime's thread on it. w/ the suprastick, you can switch from auto/manual mode, and from 2 different maps.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 AM

alright, i'll let you know what i've done so far, i've tapped into the tranny and at the moment i have a bunch of relays that are triggered off when i go WOT, basically, floor it and the TC locks up, the DR disengages, and the solenoids turn on and off instantly depending on the signal the TCU is giving off. (as in currently its still changing gears when the tcu wants it to change, i'm just making it change instantly.) at this stage i've disabled the TC and DR (as i know what the dr feels like) and i'm just going to see if i need to mount a WOT switch or if "%50 throttle" is enough. i'm not too worried about the difference in the shift feel as i can modulate that myself. i'm just curious about the TC clutch

is it similar to a sports clutch (as in, engaged -> disengaged is very quick) or is it like a gear (its either on or off.. no middle ground) because driving around at light throttle in 3rd and 4th i don't really notice it engage. i only notice it disengage, but i would like to test it further to see how i go).
Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

alright, i'll let you know what i've done so far, i've tapped into the tranny and at the moment i have a bunch of relays that are triggered off when i go WOT, basically, floor it and the TC locks up, the DR disengages, and the solenoids turn on and off instantly depending on the signal the TCU is giving off. (as in currently its still changing gears when the tcu wants it to change, i'm just making it change instantly.) at this stage i've disabled the TC and DR (as i know what the dr feels like) and i'm just going to see if i need to mount a WOT switch or if "%50 throttle" is enough. i'm not too worried about the difference in the shift feel as i can modulate that myself. i'm just curious about the TC clutch

is it similar to a sports clutch (as in, engaged -> disengaged is very quick) or is it like a gear (its either on or off.. no middle ground) because driving around at light throttle in 3rd and 4th i don't really notice it engage. i only notice it disengage, but i would like to test it further to see how i go).
Glad to see you haven't given up - most noobs fold after being beaten up in Advanced Performance forums.

Some comments - if you want hard shifts, always open up the DR connection. Also, connect your relay contacts to a battery +12volt connection, so that tranny solenoids always shift quickly and completely.

The TC clutch is controlled by another solenoid in the tranny, which gates oil pressure into the TC and engages the clutch. If you want the TC clutch to engage hard and fast, switch battery +12 volts to it as well. I suspect the TCU modulates that voltage so clutch engagement is - gentle -... I have an Edge TC, with carbon clutch, and that ***** shifts hard and fast, so probably not the same as stock.

If you want to have some fun, you can use a 3-position DPDT switch to shift all three lower gears manually. The center position needs to be OFF for both poles, to match what the TCU does. Wire +12volts to the switch to pick the A and B solenoids, pull the shifter lever back into 1st gear, and you have the poor man's Shift_Fast. Works good to hold the tranny in a selected gear while on a dyno.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Bacon Lover

From what I gather, you are just using the DR and TC lockup together? If so, you are not getting shifts quite as fast as a true shift_fast. The reason is that you aren't directly controlling the shifts, you're still allowing the TCU to do it. As long as the TCU still has any control at all over the shifts, they are still not going to be as firm and quick as with the manual control. The first time you control the gears yourself, you'll be amazed.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:04 PM

TCU -> Sol 1 is talking to my relay, and as relays are "on" or "off" not %50 power component, once the message that the TCU is sending reaches a threshold (i think about 10volts), the relay which is connected to a 12volt switch from "off" to "on" which outputs to the Sol 1.

this is all engaged with a set of relays that disconnects the DR, engages the TC Clutch, and turns on this "instant switching" of the solenoids.

What i've noticed:
* My car (stock N/A) doesn't feel like it "pulls" you in first anymore, however i seem to get to 100kph (60mph) alot quick (not having to shift until alot later seems to have made a difference).
* the cluch engages quite gently, you can still feel it, but it doesn't feel like your getting punched like i was expecting.
* don't use the vehicals built in "WOT" switch, it engages a little to early to miss it on normal driving, although it would probably drop your fuel milage, as it causes you to drive gentler unless you want to hammer it. i've got my own WOT switch that i'm planning on reinstalling, or i might just tap into the "throttle position sensor" and set up an array of Zener Diodes that will allow me to adjust from the cabin when exactly i want to have it start running.

I'm half way through doing a full writing (circut diagrams, wiring information part No, etc) on the current setup so it should be good, i'm just happy about how clean the install is, i'll take some pictures.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

TCU -> Sol 1 is talking to my relay, and as relays are "on" or "off" not %50 power component, once the message that the TCU is sending reaches a threshold (i think about 10volts), the relay which is connected to a 12volt switch from "off" to "on" which outputs to the Sol 1.

this is all engaged with a set of relays that disconnects the DR, engages the TC Clutch, and turns on this "instant switching" of the solenoids.

What i've noticed:
* My car (stock N/A) doesn't feel like it "pulls" you in first anymore, however i seem to get to 100kph (60mph) alot quick (not having to shift until alot later seems to have made a difference).
* the cluch engages quite gently, you can still feel it, but it doesn't feel like your getting punched like i was expecting.
* don't use the vehicals built in "WOT" switch, it engages a little to early to miss it on normal driving, although it would probably drop your fuel milage, as it causes you to drive gentler unless you want to hammer it. i've got my own WOT switch that i'm planning on reinstalling, or i might just tap into the "throttle position sensor" and set up an array of Zener Diodes that will allow me to adjust from the cabin when exactly i want to have it start running.

I'm half way through doing a full writing (circut diagrams, wiring information part No, etc) on the current setup so it should be good, i'm just happy about how clean the install is, i'll take some pictures.
Wow - I'm impressed - not too many people can use relay logic - like I do. Of course, I'm old. You seem to be doing good work here. Schematics and photos would be good now. I like the way you used the relay pick-point to control the solenoids - from battery +12 volts.

Now think about how to use a MSD 8969 RPM switch to work from a preset shift RPM to shift into each consecutive gear when the preset RPM is reached. Add a nitrous-cut at that same point and you have my first serious Shift_Fast controller for the drag strip. Three relays, two electrolytic caps, a few steering diodes, a couple of resistors, and you can step through the gears while the DR is opened up and pressure is maxed in the tranny.

There's more, but I though you should know some of what can be done - with relays. Good job.