All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

TS L-spec+AFC vs UTEC (5.5 gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009 | 12:40 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

TS L-spec+AFC vs UTEC (5.5 gen)

Hey guys I'm having a bit of difficulty making a decision for tuning and I figured I would throw my ideas up here for some feedback.

First, my car is N/A+nitrous now, and I'll probably be spraying upwards of a 200 shot before I decide to go F/I. With F/I, I will likely be building and will probably go with one of the big standalone options available for the vq35de, but I'm not going to drop 2k+500-800(tuning) for one of those until I get to that point in the build.

Right now I'm sure on getting a cheap wideband with logging capabilities so I can at least watch my A/F with the bigger amounts of spray. I'm installing the walbro and a FPR in the next month or 2 as well as upgrading to larger nitrous lines and probably a 2nd stage, and want to have the tuning stuff ready before then.

I'd just leave it at that, but I want to rev to 7100 and have my A/F not be complete JUNK N/A like it is now. My only 2 options for getting that done is a TS L-spec + AFC or UTEC.

Option 1 (UTEC). The UTEC will be a pain to install, and tuning is relatively complicated. I'm looking at about 600-700 dollars all said and done (buying used) and some dyno time if I want to mess with timing at all. My biggest hangup is that it WILL require hacking my harness and the harness on the UTEC to pieces in order to splice all the wires into the right places. This makes it so I probably can't resell it and the removal process will be rough. Another option is to spend many more hours and some more cash buying a spare ECU and the harness connector and doing even more splicing to make it "plug and play" and will probably be resellable OVER normal used value to another maxima owner.

Option 2. The TS reflash and AFC will be stupidly easy to install, cost anywhere from 100-200 dollars less, and give me most of what I'm looking for. The downside is that I won't be able to mess with timing with the exception of +/- 2* base timing using a consult.

I'm leaning towards the reflsh/afc since I've noticed Jime is running slightly more timing than a stock 3.5 with his 200 shot, so I don't think I will have issues with needing less timing. My main conflict on the decision is that if I want this car to be quick N/A (all motor 3.5 at maxus anybody?), I will want full timing control and the ability to have multiple maps for N/A and nitrous, which is where the UTEC will shine.

Looking for input/opinions and even other ideas from you guys to help me make a decision. I'm going to need to be motivated to do the UTEC option lol

My current goal (i set them short) is to have this all ready for Maxus. I want to do a couple of N/A runs for the all motor category and then go all out with the spray. For speed goals, I hope to run fast enough on nitrous that I get kicked off the drag strip for running faster than NHRA regs without a roll bar, that'll give me a great excuse to spend the money on a custom 6-point

*end wall of text*
Old 02-17-2009 | 04:44 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

UTEC UTEC UTEC all the way baby

im actually working on a EASY install, i just need a utec haahah

def, utec would last and still be usefull, when u do a full build, and get it tuned big advantage there, and also u can have many maps, and stock ecu mode too. by FAR only choice. also TS u have to send ecu off. FTL.

and there are many utec tuners. mostly for evos, but still.
Old 02-17-2009 | 05:27 PM

IMO, i think u will regret not getting the utec,.. or eventully,.. if u went ts/afc i think u would eventully buy a utec..because you will have the bug and will always want more ,..but in ur situation,..i see why ts/afc is tempting and not a PITA,.. i never plan on spraying but eventully i want headers and i prob will go the ts/afc route like alot of other guys.. just my .02.. g/l trying to make a tough decision lol.. nice slips by the way
Old 02-17-2009 | 05:56 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by mist max2000
IMO, i think u will regret not getting the utec
Do it right the first time and you'll only have to do it once I definitely think the UTEC is the better of your two options, especially since you want to do both N/A and nitrous. This way you can have separate maps and have optimum performance for both instead of one or the other.
Old 02-17-2009 | 07:44 PM

Listen it might be a PITA to wire it up but your going to have more flexiablity with the UTEC than the TS.

the UTEC has so much more options than the TS which limits you.

You will still most likely need to dyno your car and send your runfiles to TS for them to flash it according to your mods.

Not to mention the UTEC has a Map selector which you can active differnt base maps settings , for N/A for n2o... that alone should be enough motivation for you to purchase the UTEC.

Sure the TS L-spec is about $300 , then you add the SAFC which is around $200. which is about $500

some UTECs can be found about the same price but at least your talking about tuneable system with your lap top.

I was a very happy camper with my UTEC
http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...-a34-dyno.html
Old 02-18-2009 | 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
UTEC UTEC UTEC all the way baby

im actually working on a EASY install, i just need a utec haahah

def, utec would last and still be usefull, when u do a full build, and get it tuned big advantage there, and also u can have many maps, and stock ecu mode too. by FAR only choice. also TS u have to send ecu off. FTL.

and there are many utec tuners. mostly for evos, but still.
Well I'll be paying you to install my UTEC anyway, so you can do the EASY install on mine haha. Are you doing a full harness splice so it plugs right into the ECU without hacking it up? That's my biggest worry is destroying the stock harness.
Old 02-18-2009 | 10:58 AM

So would the UTEC be plausible for those running 3.5 with a32 Ecu's???
Its just the splicing and hacking of wires that make it a PITA ????
Old 02-18-2009 | 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by SleepyMax1
So would the UTEC be plausible for those running 3.5 with a32 Ecu's???
Its just the splicing and hacking of wires that make it a PITA ????
i dont think so but BIIIZZZ-UMP cause i wanna know this too
Old 02-18-2009 | 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The UTEC requires 3.5 CPS waveforms so you would need to be using a 3.5 ECU as well.
Old 02-18-2009 | 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
The UTEC requires 3.5 CPS waveforms so you would need to be using a 3.5 ECU as well.
ahh i see.. doesnt it also require the VTC?

If it only requires the 3.5 CPS signals, one could use the 3.5 timing ring on a 3.0 flywheel correct?
Old 02-18-2009 | 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
ahh i see.. doesnt it also require the VTC?
It doesn't mess with the VTC signals at all.

If it only requires the 3.5 CPS signals, one could use the 3.5 timing ring on a 3.0 flywheel correct?
I'm sure there are other conditions that must be met for it to work, but the 3.5 waveforms are the bare minimum.

If you used the 3.5 timing ring your car would never start unless you used a VQ35 ECU. The VQ30 timing ring only tells the ECU how fast the crank is spinning using a 360* signal. The VQ35 timing ring tells the ECU how fast the crank is spinning and where in its rotation it is. As such, the waveforms are VERY different.

Last edited by nismology; 02-18-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2009 | 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
It doesn't mess with the VTC signals at all.

I'm sure there are other conditions that must be met for it to work, but the 3.5 waveforms are the bare minimum.

If you used the 3.5 timing ring your car would never start unless you used a VQ35 ECU. The VQ30 timing ring only tells the ECU how fast the crank is spinning using a 360* signal. The VQ35 timing ring tells the ECU how fast the crank is spinning and where in its rotation it is. As such, the waveforms are VERY different.
Oooo,ok.
it all makes sense now.
Thank you master Sensay.lol
Thats good info
Old 02-20-2009 | 09:06 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Well I'll be paying you to install my UTEC anyway, so you can do the EASY install on mine haha. Are you doing a full harness splice so it plugs right into the ECU without hacking it up? That's my biggest worry is destroying the stock harness.
you will not have to worry about the factory wiring at all!!!!!!!

so you want a UTEC in before maxus???

hopefully i can come to gbor this week for the meet, they seem to be on Tuesday now, we can talk more about whats going on.
Old 02-20-2009 | 09:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Didn't you buy a UTEC, then sell it?
Old 02-20-2009 | 10:07 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

hahah

everyone changes their mind, atleast hes gonna go utec now. i think
Old 03-05-2009 | 01:33 PM

you will not have to worry about the factory wiring at all!!!!!!!

so you want a UTEC in before maxus???

hopefully i can come to gbor this week for the meet, they seem to be on Tuesday now, we can talk more about whats going on.
yeah man PM me your phone #, buying one this month and I want to get it in before the end of the month if possible.

to Nmex, i sold it because of a sudden financial crisis I was going through at that time, I didn't really want to get rid of it lol.
Old 03-05-2009 | 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
to Nmex, i sold it because of a sudden financial crisis I was going through at that time, I didn't really want to get rid of it lol.

Meh , you sound like me a few months back...also back into the hunt for a UTEC
Old 03-20-2009 | 11:31 AM

And it begins...

Old 03-20-2009 | 12:00 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

thats some nice stuff u got there!!!

the jellybeans
Old 03-20-2009 | 12:04 PM

thats some nice stuff u got there!!!