All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Another 3.5 swap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Another 3.5 swap!

hey guys! i just got in my 3.5 today! i'm pretty excited about the swap! i got the motor for $600 and only 8000 miles on the motor! i looked under the valve cover today and its spotless and looks brand new!

well there are a couple things wrong with it...the upper oil pan is cracked and one of the timing covers has a hole in it but i know i don't need those anyways! but one of the freakin valve covers is cracked so i'm going to have to head to the salvage yard and get one of those and also when they took the motor out they cut the front three injector clips off....so i guess i'll have to get those from a salvage yard also.

my plans for this swap will be the new OBX headers and equal length y-pipe, NWP spacers, VIAS block off plate, pathfinder TB, possible underdrive pulley.

i've done a TON of reading and when i began looking at the engine i started getting a little overwhelmed as to what electrical parts i need and don't need...anyway here is the pick of the engine....

i was looking at the engine and right beside the knock sensor i saw this square shape thing with four bolt holes...i know its closed off to the block but what is it for? here is the pic...

well i'm starting to order pieces here and there so i'll update as i go! thanks maxima.org for all the info!

Kevin
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Turbo 4th Gen

gl with the swap
Old 02-13-2009, 03:50 AM

haha nice becoming the new b16 swap these days lol
Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 AM

hahaha thats for sure good luck with it kevin and lemme know if you need help
Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 AM
SCAMMER DO NOT BUY FROM FOR NOW

i wish i could find one that cheap with sooo little miles.....
Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 AM

good luck and take your time and double check everything.

I need to check dyno's on this block of plate...

did you get the subharness also with your motor? if so then you won need to go get any injector plugs for the rears. Good price on the motor with low mileage!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM

WOW low miles and a good price FTW! Good luck man. Check car-part.com for the pathfinder throttle body. I got mine for $80 shipped.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 AM
No more Maximas...

That square plate underneath the intake is used on the DE-K and Pathfinder VQ35 for an additional thermostat for better cooling.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM

was wondering what the hell that was there for....
Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MDeezy
was wondering what the hell that was there for....
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=3011

The higher power Z33/V35 guys tend to get it when they start to have cooling issues.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 AM

simple and clever... if memory serves... that area didnt travel anywhere, it was just a square and about 2-3" deep. How can cooling be improved? I can only assume I'm mistaken and once unbolted then it leads into the block...

$200 i guess not bad for the price of cooling, but if one is able to get the coolant logg off a vq35 from a pathfinder, that would be the more cost effective alternative...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
No more Maximas...

simple and clever... if memory serves... that area didnt travel anywhere, it was just a square and about 2-3" deep. How can cooling be improved? I can only assume I'm mistaken and once unbolted then it leads into the block...

$200 i guess not bad for the price of cooling, but if one is able to get the coolant logg off a vq35 from a pathfinder, that would be the more cost effective alternative...
On the FWD VQs (excluding DE-K) the port isn't opened to the block. On the RWD VQs there's just a block off plate there, but it's a live port to the cooling system.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM

thanks guys! i'm planning on taking my time and taking lots of pictures and record info and hopfully help others wanting to do this swap!

ajcool2....car-parts.com is awesome! haha. that's where i got the engine. i've already been looking for the PFTB i just need to get with Stephen Max about the adapter plate and cam spacers....

Originally Posted by pmohr
That square plate underneath the intake is used on the DE-K and Pathfinder VQ35 for an additional thermostat for better cooling.
thanks pmohr! i had no clue what it would be for since there was no passage way in it.

MDeezy...there is a thread down near the end of all motor with a dyno of working VIAS and Block off plate and SSIM...and i know you need to optimize for want you want and your peticular setup but from what i can tell....if you don't plan on extending the rev limit then block off plate is probably the way to go! we shall see ... also it came with like half of the harness....the rear of the harnes is there for the injectors but the front ones are gone....oh well...just have to got some from the salvage yard.

Last edited by one_fast_max; 02-13-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 AM

yea I'm going to research it more next week. I like the low end power, its design behind the whole system is very impessive you have it open under certain rpms, close in another range then open again ( or vice versa). I'll check it out and see...
Originally Posted by pmohr
On the FWD VQs (excluding DE-K) the port isn't opened to the block. On the RWD VQs there's just a block off plate there, but it's a live port to the cooling system.
damn... so even if we wanted to take advantage we couldn't...ym tricia_wilson21
Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 PM

hey kev, that is one clean 3.5! Can't wait to check it out. still can't believe you got one with only 8k on it. I know how bad you've wanted one, you deserve it man. Even with those couple of things wrong you still got a helluva deal...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by one_fast_max
... and also when they took the motor out they cut the front three injector clips off....

what do you mean they cut it off? If there is some wire still on the injector clips then you should be fine, solder it to your harness in the car and you'll be fine...
Old 02-13-2009, 05:08 PM

I mean that they aren't there... No wires no clips no nothing! Haha... I didn't think the Nissan dealership would sell just the clips... So I'll have to get them from another salvage yard I'm assuming!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 PM

hey guys....

i was just taking some stuff off the 3.5 and was looking at the intake manifold. i'm so confused....the VIAS valve part is only on the front side of the motor?? how does that valve do any good? i thought it would be more like the 00vi where is runs the entire way across....does anyone know the physics behind this? because i couldn't figure out how such a small valve on the side of the intake manifold would do anything?? i would just like to know how it works....

Last edited by one_fast_max; 02-14-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 PM

its does a lot of good. You wanted to do the VIAS block off plate... didnt you research it and the gains to be had from it? which is why you want to do that to your motor?

just curious how you want to do the block off plate but dont know how the VIAS your blocking off actually works.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 PM
VQ30 DE T

The inside of that IM is clean
Old 02-14-2009, 07:51 PM

MDeezy.....

look man. i don't know HOW whether that valve is opened or closed how it would effect the air going into the cylinders. that's what i'm asking...that valve is not even close to the inlet chambers.....yes i researched...quite and bit. and what i gathered from dyno's that i have seen, which i told you about, that the VIAS block off plate would be a better choice for me.

now...i'm question is the physics behind that valve. i have seen dyno's...that doesn't mean that i know how it works. does it change pressure?? what does it do? all i know is the dyno's i've seen....so if you would like to help me understand how that valve actually does good,(the physics) then please don't fill the thread about me not researching how it works, by that i mean the fluid dynamics of it. seeing dyno's and KNOWING how it works are two totally different things....so i just want to know how the engine could breathe better or whatever...make sense?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:49 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

damn thats a clean *** 3.5 good luck with everything
Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 PM

MDeezy.....

look man. i don't know HOW whether that valve is opened or closed how it would effect the air going into the cylinders. that's what i'm asking...that valve is not even close to the inlet chambers.....yes i researched...quite and bit. and what i gathered from dyno's that i have seen, which i told you about, that the VIAS block off plate would be a better choice for me.

now...i'm question is the physics behind that valve. i have seen dyno's...that doesn't mean that i know how it works. does it change pressure?? what does it do? all i know is the dyno's i've seen....so if you would like to help me understand how that valve actually does good,(the physics) then please don't fill the thread about me not researching how it works, by that i mean the fluid dynamics of it. seeing dyno's and KNOWING how it works are two totally different things....so i just want to know how the engine could breathe better or whatever...make sense?

I'm not filling the thread about you not searching. i mentioned research but my post's intent was more to pick your brain about the VIAS system and what you know about it. Appears rather than promote a discussion seems your getting a bit aggressive about it.

If memory serves the valve is closed from 0 -1800rpms, then open up till somewhere in the 3 grand range, then closes again till redline. As for a break down of the physical in terms of say volumetric flow etc.... I cant explain that so I'll let someone else chime in and fill that info for you...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:29 PM

ok well i didn't mean to get aggressive i just have researched alot about the 3.5 swap and just a little touchy it just seemed to me that you didn't fully read my post...

yeah i know about it opening then closing then opening again at certian rpms. i just didn't really see how that valve on that side of the intake manifold you know?

thank you for trying to get a discussion going about this....that's why i posted the pictures and asked the question so hopfully some one smarter than me can inform us the fluid dynamics of this intake manifold and to how this valve actually helps the engine breathe better. anyone?

JonBlz...thanks man! i'm pretty happy with the find and hoping for some good numbers!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 AM

Iv been wondering the same thing on the 3.5 i have sitting, on how the vias opening and closing affects the flow. Hopefully someone would explain this better. I observed that the IM is divided in two, the upper and lower, which is what the VIAS connects together (when open), upper flow goes into 3 runners and same for the lower part. So, throttle body opens, air flows thru the upper section, and the lower section, and into each 3 runners. by opening the vias, i assume this equalizes the air going into all 6 runners, providing for better balanced flow? Makes sense to me. which is probably why removing or putting a block off plate is a good mod to do for us. In my case, im still wondering if either to remove the vias and put a block off plate, or do SSIM, i'll be keeping stock limiter and auto shiftpoints at bout 6100, so i don kno if the ssim would be beneficial to me. anywho, this is my thought process for the vias...

Last edited by streetzlegend; 02-15-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Iv been wondering the same thing on the 3.5 i have sitting, on how the vias opening and closing affects the flow. Hopefully someone would explain this better. I observed that the IM is divided in two, the upper and lower, which is what the VIAS connects together (when open), upper flow goes into 3 runners and same for the lower part. So, throttle body opens, air flows thru the upper section, and the lower section, and into each 3 runners. by opening the vias, i assume this equalizes the air going into all 6 runners, providing for better balanced flow? Makes sense to me. which is probably why removing or putting a block off plate is a good mod to do for us. In my case, im still wondering if either to remove the vias and put a block off plate, or do SSIM, i'll be keeping stock limiter and auto shiftpoints at bout 6100, so i don kno if the ssim would be beneficial to me. anywho, this is my thought process for the vias...
I wondered the samething and was worried about air flow in the 2 cylinders closest to the vias. this really worried me when I thought about spraying the car so I just did the ssim. I know from muscle car guys it's best to have a single plain intake and short runners with nitrous

but your turbo'd so I don't know
Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
your correct. IIRC when going into just the 3 runners the motor is able to make more torque and is suitable for the lower rpm ranges and then closes so all 6 receive on the upper end for better top end flow. Genius idea to me, but I wonder why only the Maxima/Altima etc have it. 350z has a completely different design and I havent read up on it much, but you'd think a design similar to this would be benifical for them for good low/mid, high range. Once the HR came into the picture though, that was the improvement they were looking for (so im told)
ok well i didn't mean to get aggressive i just have researched alot about the 3.5 swap and just a little touchy it just seemed to me that you didn't fully read my post...

yeah i know about it opening then closing then opening again at certian rpms. i just didn't really see how that valve on that side of the intake manifold you know?

thank you for trying to get a discussion going about this....that's why i posted the pictures and asked the question so hopfully some one smarter than me can inform us the fluid dynamics of this intake manifold and to how this valve actually helps the engine breathe better. anyone?

JonBlz...thanks man! i'm pretty happy with the find and hoping for some good numbers!
Thats cool, I had a feeling it might get taken the wrong way but was hoping it wouldn't.

I'm going to take a educated guess at some of the science of it. If your able to (somehow) figure out/calculate the volume of one of those runners then you'd know the total amout for all 6, then divede by 2 and now you have numbers for when its open and when its closed.... hope that might help some... i tried
Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrats kev! good luck with everything.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Question guys, on the FWD VQ35, is there a way to make that square passage work? would it require cutting into the block? I got a DEK and a 3.5 sitting next to eachother and would be cool to get that passage to work using the DEK cooling parts.

Originally Posted by t6378tp
I wondered the samething and was worried about air flow in the 2 cylinders closest to the vias. this really worried me when I thought about spraying the car so I just did the ssim. I know from muscle car guys it's best to have a single plain intake and short runners with nitrous

but your turbo'd so I don't know
Yea if i were you, i would give it more thought as to what to do, Maybe in your case SSIM would be best, since there wont be to separate sections, everything "should" flow equal, the runners that is, so the nitrous would go in evenly. I dont know what to do to be honest. I just wanna get the motor running first lol.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 AM

good question. Since the block castings are different between the FWD vq35 block and rwd. why did they even make that part if its not even to be used anyway?

I have a spare block at home that I might not be using (might end up recycling it). I'll try to drill into it, or get more pics to see if this is possible. Would be nice to create that opening and have another cooling option
Old 02-15-2009, 09:48 AM

good question. Since the block castings are different between the FWD vq35 block and rwd. why did they even make that part if its not even to be used anyway?

I have a spare block at home that I might not be using (might end up recycling it). I'll try to drill into it, or get more pics to see if this is possible. Would be nice to create that opening and have another cooling option
Oh man it would be great if you did that.

Actually I went over the circuit diagram for the DEK cooling system, and basically water flows out of that square and into the coolant log and to the radiator, etc.. So, what I was thinking is, instead of chopping up a square into the block, one can just drill a large hole, then tap it, and then put in a barb fitting, then put a hose to it, and run that hose into the coolant log, maybe T it off with another hose. OR, if u got a DEK sitting around like me, you can drill a larger hole, with hole saw or something, and then put the DEK parts on the square and use the DEK coolant log.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 AM

hopefully what I'll find is that once that square is opening up it will make the block similar to the rwd blocks and modifications can be made to haev additional cooling.

the trick here would be how to drill/tap without getting shavings all in the block
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM

hopefully what I'll find is that once that square is opening up it will make the block similar to the rwd blocks and modifications can be made to haev additional cooling.

the trick here would be how to drill/tap without getting shavings all in the block
Using a vacumm lol.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 AM

cool idea about the cooling block! MDeezy let us know how it turns out!

streetzlegend....to me it seems as if some one is running nitrous or a turbo that the SSIM would be the best option. you want the engine to breathe as best as possible and youll make up for whatever hp/tq you loose with the power adders

i kinda see what yall are talking about with the divided intake manifold. the bottom chamber is bigger....so when the valve opens more air goes from the bottom chamber to the top chamber? so that would mean that when the valve is closed the its "starving" 3 cylinders for air....so its a little confusing to me. which would cause the afr to be different between the front three and back three cylinders....which you wouldn't want for turbo or nitrous for sure so that's why i say SSIM for power adders. is chernmax running SSIM?? oh well....i may take the manifold to my fluids class tomorrow at school and see if my professor can give me any light on the subject! haha

thanks Zack! its been a while since i heard from you! how you been??
Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 PM

update!

i've decided to go with Cattman headers instead of the new OBX header and y-pipe. i will also be doing a true dual setup probably with 2.5'' pipes all the way back!

i've contacted Stephen Max and my PFTB and cam adapters are on the way! so things are starting to come together!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 PM

update!

i've decided to go with Cattman headers instead of the new OBX header and y-pipe. i will also be doing a true dual setup probably with 2.5'' pipes all the way back!

i've contacted Stephen Max and my PFTB and cam adapters are on the way! so things are starting to come together!
Just curious, you're just using the front and rear manifolds from the Cattman headers without the y-pipe right?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 AM

well....IF i do the dual exhaust then yes i will only use the front and rear headers.....but i'm trying to decide what would be better.....i've read some here and there...any input guys?

2.5'' single vs 3'' single vs true dual exhaust? i want to squeeze as much out of this 3.5 as i can right now....so any input?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM

help!

ok i just got in some parts today...and first off i want to say that Aaron is awesome and makes a very professional kit. today my VIAS blockoff plate came in and my NWP phenolic spacers. Also i recieved an 02 PFTB....is this the correct on in the pictures? for some reason this one looks different than others i have seen....what do i need to do with the part that is under the TB with the hoses coming off of it....block it off? thank!

is this the correct TB?? what do i do with the open part underneath te TB and will the 3.0 TPS work with the PFTB??

i just don't know what to do with it exactly....
Old 02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
No more Maximas...

ok i just got in some parts today...and first off i want to say that Aaron is awesome and makes a very professional kit. today my VIAS blockoff plate came in and my NWP phenolic spacers. Also i recieved an 02 PFTB....is this the correct on in the pictures? for some reason this one looks different than others i have seen....what do i need to do with the part that is under the TB with the hoses coming off of it....block it off? thank!

is this the correct TB?? what do i do with the open part underneath te TB and will the 3.0 TPS work with the PFTB??

i just don't know what to do with it exactly....
That is the IACV. Are you using a remote mount A32 IACV?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM

oohhhh ok.....

yeah i have a 00vi so i have a plate for the IACV....do i just need to block this port off? and i'm assuming the 3.0 TPS works with this...correct?

thanks pmohr!

Quick Reply: Another 3.5 swap!