All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Tilley Built motor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 PM

Tilley Built motor.

Is anyone running on one of his 3.5 motors? i am gathering the funds to purchase one from a friend with ZERO miles. Has anyone had any experience? its a big move and i wanna go in the right direction.

any input is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:56 PM

He's a great guy, met him a few times and i can honestly say i would trust and recommend his work to anyone
Old 09-13-2009, 04:18 PM

tilley hasnt been around in years. He is the pioneer of this swap but frequents more on the my350z forums.

Plenty of us have swapped the 3.5 in with no problems and are enjoying the benefits on it.

So is your question has anyone swapped in a 3.5 with zero miles? Because tilley (to my knowledge) didnt have any prepped 3.5 he was selling (although I think that was his plans).

There is plenty of documentation, on here. Get your motor, prep it, drop it in, and enjoy.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had one that was NA and one that was s/c'ed, both by tilley. both (to my knowledge) are still running without issues. he does still do the swaps but is currently trying to build his collection of parts back up post-garage fire.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM

been years since that fire... he hasnt recooped?

I know he has a 370 with a bad motor... (saw his post on my350z)

I bet he stilll does swapped but he seems to refuse to come onto the org...I still dont know why and I'm sure at this point it doesnt matter...
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
been years since that fire... he hasnt recooped?

I know he has a 370 with a bad motor... (saw his post on my350z)

I bet he stilll does swapped but he seems to refuse to come onto the org...I still dont know why and I'm sure at this point it doesnt matter...
lol fire was in february of this year. he has a nismo 350 (2007) that he put a new vq35hr in. i dont think he refuses to come to the org, he is still newly obsessed with the z community (?)...
Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 PM

he had another fire? Supposedly he had a fire waaaay back before when the he showed the 3.5 swap and was selling parts for it. Then is when he went dark and few of us heard from him and eventually he just stopped posting.

So there is another fire this year?? Damn...sounds like bad luck

Last edited by MDeezy; 09-13-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM

he had another fire? Supposedly he had a fire waaaay back before when the he showed the 3.5 swap and was selling parts for it. Then is when he went dark and few of us heard from him and eventually he just stopped posting.

So there is another fire this year?? Damn...sounds like bad luck
Not sure about first fire. I know the one we had in feb levelled the garage... 8-10 vq's, about 10 z trannys, a 2 wd hardbody project and many other things insurance wouldn't pay for... Oh well, trying to build up parts again
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 PM

Donot let him work on your car he messed up my brother built 3.5 motor and few other's plus his insurance bull crap he has a lot of break in's and your good turbo will be missing then he will give you a bull crap t3 thinking you wont know then when you find out he will duck you play dum its so much stuff people dont know you cant type it, there is a reason he's not around and top it off 2nd fire for a reason he had problems with other customers he ripped off what goes around comes around.

Last edited by 96sleepergle; 09-13-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 96sleepergle
Donot let him work on your car he messed up my brother built 3.5 motor and few other's plus his insurance bull crap he has a lot of break in's and your good turbo will be missing then he will give you a bull crap t3 thinking you wont know then when you find out he will duck you play dum its so much stuff people dont know you cant type it, there is a reason he's not around and top it off 2nd fire for a reason he had problems with other customers he ripped off what goes around comes around.
uh...what?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:10 PM

^^^ someone was not happy
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 PM

tilley hasnt been around in years. He is the pioneer of this swap but frequents more on the my350z forums.

Plenty of us have swapped the 3.5 in with no problems and are enjoying the benefits on it.

So is your question has anyone swapped in a 3.5 with zero miles? Because tilley (to my knowledge) didnt have any prepped 3.5 he was selling (although I think that was his plans).

There is plenty of documentation, on here. Get your motor, prep it, drop it in, and enjoy.
the motor is one that was built a few years back (3 i think) and has never left its crate. so the mileage is zip!

Originally Posted by emmas97
i had one that was NA and one that was s/c'ed, both by tilley. both (to my knowledge) are still running without issues. he does still do the swaps but is currently trying to build his collection of parts back up post-garage fire.
i was hoping you would chime in. i dont have any doubt about his knowledge, i just wanted to hear from folks who have had work done by him.

im looking to get this installed by oct. getting kinda anxious.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Turbo'd Saab

sorry...I don't believe you...if i could read what you said.....GTFO
Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
uh...what?
ran it thru google translate...

Tilley performed some work on his brothers Nissan Maxima, and other gentleman as well. At Tilleys place of business he had to endure plenty of break in's.

On another note, its upsetting when you are anticipating a specific turbo only to be deceived with a t3 turbo. Unfortunately Tilley thought they would not know the difference. At the time when you do notice the difference Tilley will duck and dodge you... It is so frustrating it makes it difficult to type properly.

There is good reasoning why he is not around anymore. The 2nd fire might have been caused due to a conflict he had with a customer. If so they age old statement is true, what goes around can come back around...

translated by MDeezy and translate.google.com
Old 09-13-2009, 10:29 PM

the motor is one that was built a few years back (3 i think) and has never left its crate. so the mileage is zip!
Experiences with him will vary. Was the motor brand new and he build it up ready to drop in? or did he take a used motor and had it cleaned and honed so its like a zero mileage motor?

I guess regardless of others experience you'll find out the craftmanship once you drop it in. Lucky you, it should only take you a day to completly as all the hard work is already done. Pull from crate, slap on flywheel, clutch, bolt up tranny. Then drop in car, wire up, fill up fluids and turn key.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:38 AM

or did he take a used motor and had it cleaned and honed so its like a zero mileage motor?
after doing some research the motor has about 20k on it. but its never seen a car yet.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
sorry...I don't believe you...if i could read what you said.....GTFO
I dont need you to believe me, you make your choice, facts are facts period! Has he ever worked on your car ? You sound like one of his cheer leaders. (oH he's a good guy Blah Blah)

Last edited by 96sleepergle; 09-14-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 AM

ran it thru google translate...

Tilley performed some work on his brothers Nissan Maxima, and other gentleman as well. At Tilleys place of business he had to endure plenty of break in's.

On another note, its upsetting when you are anticipating a specific turbo only to be deceived with a t3 turbo. Unfortunately Tilley thought they would not know the difference. At the time when you do notice the difference Tilley will duck and dodge you... It is so frustrating it makes it difficult to type properly.

There is good reasoning why he is not around anymore. The 2nd fire might have been caused due to a conflict he had with a customer. If so they age old statement is true, what goes around can come back around...

translated by MDeezy and translate.google.com
Yep and other good stuff you paid for and he switches it to something of less quality like (flywheels) he think you wont know least someone is not blind there is countless other i know that had problems with him.

Last edited by 96sleepergle; 09-14-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 AM

Yep and other good stuff you paid for and he switches it to something of less quality like (flywheels) he think you wont know least someone is not blind there is countless other i know that had problems with him.
ouch...I'd be pissed if parts were getting switched... especially flywheel cause you could see one flywheel but if your not there when its bolted up, its tricky to tell is not the same one with the clutch and tranny over it.

Either way OP has this motor, and he cant return it so might as well drop it in.

BlackWind: is it fully done? all you have to do is drop it in? does it have the injector harness on it?

I guess if you have any problems, plenty of us have seen the ins and out of a 3.5 intimately so we can assist you if there is any problem. Before you drop it in, Inspect that RMS to make sure its sealed up good
Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM

ouch...I'd be pissed if parts were getting switched... especially flywheel cause you could see one flywheel but if your not there when its bolted up, its tricky to tell is not the same one with the clutch and tranny over it.

Either way OP has this motor, and he cant return it so might as well drop it in.

BlackWind: is it fully done? all you have to do is drop it in? does it have the injector harness on it?

I guess if you have any problems, plenty of us have seen the ins and out of a 3.5 intimately so we can assist you if there is any problem. Before you drop it in, Inspect that RMS to make sure its sealed up good
yeah i got all i need to drop it in. but ill have the IM modified so i can run the EGR. i need that for my emission in Washington and Nevada
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM

damn... good lucky with that... an alternative a guy used the pathy 3.5 heads or something and was able to keep all his egr stuff and evap etc. No cell and 3.5 swap. We all know certain emissions items reduces power but I dont know if he exprienced power loss
Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM

So are these built(prepped) 3.5 swaps or are these actually built 3.5 motors!?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Lightly modded

I would just like to say that Tilley installed 2 clutches, 1 tranny and one full DE-K swap for me a few years ago and he did a great job. It really sucks about the fire
Old 09-17-2009, 12:52 PM

I'm just posting an experience of one of my good friends.

He dropped the car off Memorial Day of 07 for a 3.5 swap. He finally got the car towed to Travis's shop Summer of 2009. After tilley gave constant excuses for OVER 2 YEARS.

Upon Travis receiving the car, he found this...I'll let the pics do the talking.

http://www.fi-r.net/images2/VQSwapFi...oVQswap/11.jpg

http://www.fi-r.net/images2/VQSwapFi...oVQswap/12.jpg

http://www.fi-r.net/images2/VQSwapFi...oVQswap/13.jpg

http://www.fi-r.net/images2/VQSwapFi...oVQswap/14.jpg

http://www.fi-r.net/images2/VQSwapFi...oVQswap/15.jpg

Needless to say, he went with one of travis's motors. He's getting the car back any week now. Do I see shattered maxima records in the near future? >=)
Old 09-17-2009, 01:02 PM

for teh lazy...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:07 PM

...wow
Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM

and my comment:

WOW If Tilley did that I am shocked.That plain lazyness....

the cam sensor there is no excuse for... one 10mm bolt goes in and done

the 2nd pic. the "missing bolts" its not the top of the passenger side motor mount is missing, and there is a bracket that bolts to the top of that and the timing case.

the flywheel is custom since its been altered from stock form, but it could have atleast been resurfaced

there should be no loose wires. I dont know why the maf wires were twisted anyway there is no need to alter or do anything to it. Unless he damaged it by accident.

During the course of the swap there is very very little need to expose anywire from the harness, and of course it so it should be wrapped up with electrical tape to keep its safe and protected.

transmission bracket

alternator..that bracket missing is very much needed, doubles as support and a ground.

the flywheel must have been for a 6spd swap... which explains the reason why the 3.0 timing ring is welded on, so that the 3.0 sensor can read it properly and start the car like normal.

still terrible work...
Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 PM

I should have been lazy and scrolled down before clicking on every single link to view the damage.

Thats sad that some people will actually be that lazy to do half-*** work like that.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 PM

wow. ill make time to go inspect the motor first hand.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

damn... good lucky with that... an alternative a guy used the pathy 3.5 heads or something and was able to keep all his egr stuff and evap etc. No cell and 3.5 swap. We all know certain emissions items reduces power but I dont know if he exprienced power loss
I've already done it and will be helping him when the time comes. I'm running full emissions on my VQ35 swap with no CEL's.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:53 AM

The next fire should solve all problems with this jerk...
Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Is that a threat?
Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 PM

NOT COOL.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:43 PM

you been here how long? please hit the unsubscribe link.

Last edited by Blackwind; 09-20-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 AM

you been here how long? please hit the unsubscribe link.
Been here loooonng without subscribin...been into Nissan for twenty some odd years son. Anyway I bet he set his own fires...It ain't that serious boys lighten up.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 09-21-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Been here loooonng without subscribin...been into Nissan for twenty some odd years son.
cookies and punch are in the lounge, come back when you find it.

Anyway I bet he set his own fires...It ain't that serious boys lighten up.
still, there is no need for threats such as that, joke or not.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:28 AM

still, there is no need for threats such as that, joke or not.
It was a joke man...whew.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Black wind. Crack that crate open and snap some pics for us. I strongly feel it will look good and be in good shape.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Black wind. Crack that crate open and snap some pics for us. I strongly feel it will look good and be in good shape.
ill try and do it this weekend. if not ill get it done soon.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 PM

i got a few words to say i got a car that was built by tilley although ive never meet the guy. when i 1st heard about this tilley dude every 1 made it sould like he was a nice dude but from what i have heard in recent times is that he has jerked alot of people. im not stating this as a fact but just as what i heard. as far as my 3.5 it ran strong as far as mess ups the swap could have been alot better and neater there was like a birds nest with the main harness and all the wiring hanging and exposed freely. idk how to even explain honestly it could have been done better. i had some 1 who does 3.5 swaps take a look and they said they expected better from him. it just goes to show that not everything is always done right maybe this is why i have had some many headaches with the car. overall could have done a better job on the swap some careless errors and rigged components maybe this is why the motor didnt run that good for a while.

Quick Reply: Tilley Built motor.