Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   All Motor (https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor-61/)
-   -   Another 3.5 swap thread (https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/601733-another-3-5-swap-thread.html)

NCSU_MAX 09-21-2010 06:00 PM

this seriously has me considering a vq35 Z32......

Crusher103 09-21-2010 06:05 PM

From VG to VQ took some serious work.

has that car been dyno'd yet? im curious to see what it will put down through a RWD drive train.

CapedCadaver 09-21-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by bristol16 (Post 7744141)
the engine has an infiniti cover on it but i guess it is out of a '96 Maxima SE not an I30...but im not sure how it was done to be honest. custom motor mounts and headers and the engine sits really really close to the hood. i bought it already swapped with the intentions of upgrading it to a 35. i do know the stock 5 speed trans wasn't properly aligned to the block though which is causing some problems. other than that it is actually a pretty clean swap considering it's a FWD motor in a RWD car :)

interesting.. next time you change the oil can you take a few pics of the oilpan? i'm interested to see if the deep part of the pan is towards the back or towards the front.. they may have just used really tall mounts and set the deep end of the pan on top of the crossmember... or they might have used a 2001 pathfinder oil pan.

since you say the engine sits close to the hood and doesn't align with the tranny properly, tho also keep in mind that the stock tranny was intended to bolt to a VG, not a VQ, so the bolt patterns are different.

i'd like to see it in person to tho, since you're in the same state as us.

bristol16 09-21-2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103 (Post 7744303)
From VG to VQ took some serious work.

has that car been dyno'd yet? im curious to see what it will put down through a RWD drive train.

i haven't had it dyno'd so i'm not sure on the power. the exhaust is pretty shoddy and it has no cats on it or anything other than some random red muffler and no downstream o2 sensors. needs the exhaust finished from the headers back and a decent tune. runs fine, i just think it runs really rich. has a 300zx cluster in it that works 100% as far as i can tell, aside from reading about 5mph slow.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver (Post 7744343)
interesting.. next time you change the oil can you take a few pics of the oilpan? i'm interested to see if the deep part of the pan is towards the back or towards the front.. they may have just used really tall mounts and set the deep end of the pan on top of the crossmember... or they might have used a 2001 pathfinder oil pan.

since you say the engine sits close to the hood and doesn't align with the tranny properly, tho also keep in mind that the stock tranny was intended to bolt to a VG, not a VQ, so the bolt patterns are different.

i'd like to see it in person to tho, since you're in the same state as us.

yeah i'll snap some pics when i get a chance. maybe tomorrow after work when it's light out. i know my car was originally an NA automatic but the trans is out of a turbo car. to get the tranny to bolt up as far as i can tell they just welded ears onto the trans bellhousing and bolted it up...that's all i can see from above. i know it wasn't designed for this engine but i'm more concerned with how long my throw out bearing will last. i picked up the car to be a project so i wasn't very concerned with the specifics. i just wanted something that was driveable and from what i can tell this has most of the hard work done for a VQ35 swap...and with no a/c compressor in there a supercharger should fit quite easily :D

krazy6 09-21-2010 07:13 PM

^Your car is badass!

bristol16 09-21-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by krazy6 (Post 7744406)
^Your car is badass!

thanks :D. the car itself is actually pretty rough though. interior has stuff broken and missing and the previous owner was in the middle of removing the tweed and recovering it, it is in primer right now and i will be doing quite a bit of body work, plus there's lots of stuff that i just WANT to do to it. i mainly bought it for the uniqueness and the potential.

one question i do have for anyone who can answer....are there any year VQ35 that i can re-use my intake manifold on? they had to relocate the throttle body to the opposite side and i'd hate to have another one custom made for the 35 if this one will work.

Crusher103 09-21-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by bristol16 (Post 7744419)
thanks :D. the car itself is actually pretty rough though. interior has stuff broken and missing and the previous owner was in the middle of removing the tweed and recovering it, it is in primer right now and i will be doing quite a bit of body work, plus there's lots of stuff that i just WANT to do to it. i mainly bought it for the uniqueness and the potential.

one question i do have for anyone who can answer....are there any year VQ35 that i can re-use my intake manifold on? they had to relocate the throttle body to the opposite side and i'd hate to have another one custom made for the 35 if this one will work.

Most of the stuff just sounds small, alot of cosmetic issues but u are already VQ swapped so u can already do alot. in preparation for a VQ35 u can snatch up a 00vi, so u have injector clips down and that fuel rail and injectors can just be swapped over to the VQ35 manifold and u dont have to worry about adjustable FPRs and all other kinds of BS. Also the best bolt on for the VQ30 nice power gains in the top end.

we all have to do something funky with the TB, if ur going 3.5 what u will want to do is go ahead and get a TB from a 01 Pathfinder, they are 70mm TBs and cable driven the only VQ35 to have Cable driven TB. I have a VQ35 manifold on a Vq30 right now and i had an adapter plate made for it, cost me and extra $60 but it works well. But it will require some creativity.

Crusher103 09-21-2010 07:36 PM

and yea u dont wanna reuse the stock VQ30DE IM, it is complete and total garbage. It chokes itself after 5600rpm

bristol16 09-21-2010 07:40 PM

yeah the problem with my setup is that the throttle body is on the opposite end of the manifold from where it used to be. it was literally cut off and welded onto the opposite side...i'm guessing i will have to have a VQ35 manifold modified the same way? it was just one step i was hoping to skip but no sense in half-assing this thing now lol.

Crusher103 09-21-2010 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by bristol16 (Post 7744450)
yeah the problem with my setup is that the throttle body is on the opposite end of the manifold from where it used to be. it was literally cut off and welded onto the opposite side...i'm guessing i will have to have a VQ35 manifold modified the same way? it was just one step i was hoping to skip but no sense in half-assing this thing now lol.

well now that i take a second look at it this person obviously didnt know all he had to do was pop the injectors out of the Lower intake manifold turn it around bolt it up and he wouldn't have had to modify a thing :lol:

just ditch that IM, it is made for low end torque, u will seriously suffer up top using it.

bristol16 09-21-2010 08:01 PM

oh dang you can just spin the thing 180 degrees? hmmm...there must have been some reason for it. that would mean i will have to modify the wiring harness since the sensors will move around too. good info to have, thanks!

bigleman 09-22-2010 05:23 AM

And Crusher cant even swap a FWD engine into a FWD car :rotz:

essential1 09-22-2010 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by bristol16 (Post 7744450)

Well since you are already rwd, you can just go ahead and use the 350z intake manifold. I'm
surprised nobody mentioned that yet. The throttle body will just be moved to the passanger side.

Now the only problem with that is the fact that it sits so close to the hood already. You might have to cut a hole in the hood because the z IM sits slot higher than your current manifold.

bristol16 09-22-2010 06:57 AM

Sweet....good to know. I love this forum lol.

Crusher103 09-22-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by essential1 (Post 7744757)
Well since you are already rwd, you can just go ahead and use the 350z intake manifold. I'm
surprised nobody mentioned that yet. The throttle body will just be moved to the passanger side.

Now the only problem with that is the fact that it sits so close to the hood already. You might have to cut a hole in the hood because the z IM sits slot higher than your current manifold.

It can be done there is a VQ35 swapped Z32 running around im not sure about its hood thou.

Crusher103 09-22-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by bigleman (Post 7744690)
And Crusher cant even swap a FWD engine into a FWD car :rotz:

if thats the case then how come my car running now?

bristol16 09-22-2010 08:09 AM

Hood clearance is an easy fix. I can just setup a cowl style hood or one like on the VQ35HR 350s.

ajcool2 09-22-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by essential1 (Post 7744757)

Yup didnt even think of that and if he does get some type of hood scoop might as throw a spacer on.

ajcool2 09-22-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by bristol16 (Post 7744844)
Hood clearance is an easy fix. I can just setup a cowl style hood or one like on the VQ35HR 350s.

Nice Z man. I might hold on to one of the 3.0's I have sitting around. Most just go to the scrap yard.

Mad-MAX_SE 09-22-2010 08:59 AM

I've seen that Z in South Carolina at Quaker Steak before. Assuming you bought it off that guy, he was talking to me about superchargers back then when he saw my setup.

bristol16 09-22-2010 09:27 AM

Yeah I bought it off a guy named Mack from Greenville.

bristol16 09-22-2010 10:01 AM

I'm planning to be at Sonic tonight if any of you Raleigh/Durham guys want to see it.

CapedCadaver 09-22-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by bristol16 (Post 7744389)
i haven't had it dyno'd so i'm not sure on the power. the exhaust is pretty shoddy and it has no cats on it or anything other than some random red muffler and no downstream o2 sensors. needs the exhaust finished from the headers back and a decent tune. runs fine, i just think it runs really rich. has a 300zx cluster in it that works 100% as far as i can tell, aside from reading about 5mph slow.

yeah i'll snap some pics when i get a chance. maybe tomorrow after work when it's light out. i know my car was originally an NA automatic but the trans is out of a turbo car. to get the tranny to bolt up as far as i can tell they just welded ears onto the trans bellhousing and bolted it up...that's all i can see from above. i know it wasn't designed for this engine but i'm more concerned with how long my throw out bearing will last. i picked up the car to be a project so i wasn't very concerned with the specifics. i just wanted something that was driveable and from what i can tell this has most of the hard work done for a VQ35 swap...and with no a/c compressor in there a supercharger should fit quite easily :D

i'd say get a 350z 6spd tranny.. designed for the VQ, and an extra gear to boot.

CapedCadaver 09-22-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by bristol16 (Post 7744956)
I'm planning to be at Sonic tonight if any of you Raleigh/Durham guys want to see it.

:mad: wish i'd seen that earlier. i gotta go to work now.