All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Not cranking, CEL not lighting, but works with OBD2 scanner plugged in.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not cranking, CEL not lighting, but works with OBD2 scanner plugged in.

If someone can help me out with this, it would be great. Helping a friend with a swap he working on.

Car is 99 I30, was sitting for a few years with bad motor. Engine was swapped with DE-k, and converted to 5 speed! No electrical work has been messed with yet.
Everything is back together, but it seem like something wrong. When the key is turned, the CEL doesn't come on as usual, the fuel pump can't be heard priming, and the starter will not crank. We did find a ECM ctrl 1 fuse bad and replaced it, but no difference.

With a OBD2 scanner plugged in, magically the CEL comes on when the key is turned, and the car will crank! But still no fuel pump sound.
ECU is still the original. Key being used doesn't have a chip because the originals were lost. The plan is to swap another 99 ECU in, with the chipped keys and NVIS box that go with it.

Any help on why the CEL doesn't work and the car won't crank would be great. Tried everything we could think of.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Looking at the I30 FSMs from 1999, the ECU has no hand in determining if the car will crank. The clutch interlock switch energizes the coil of a relay when depressed. The ignition switch "start" position sends voltage through the relay, which is now closed, and to the soleniod. The solenoid pulls the contacts together in the starter, and the car cranks, as long as there is power and ground to the starter.

I wrote a writeup rewireing of a five speed swap. Check it out.

As far as starting, the NVIS system will not produce spark if the right key is not detected. So even if you can crank the car, it will not start until you satisfy the IVIS (Infiniti Vehicle Immobilzer System).

I can't explain the MIL behavior though. Anyone else?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by ajm8127
Looking at the I30 FSMs from 1999, the ECU has no hand in determining if the car will crank. The clutch interlock switch energizes the coil of a relay when depressed. The ignition switch "start" position sends voltage through the relay, which is now closed, and to the soleniod. The solenoid pulls the contacts together in the starter, and the car cranks, as long as there is power and ground to the starter.

I wrote a writeup rewireing of a five speed swap. Check it out.

As far as starting, the NVIS system will not produce spark if the right key is not detected. So even if you can crank the car, it will not start until you satisfy the IVIS (Infiniti Vehicle Immobilzer System).

I can't explain the MIL behavior though. Anyone else?

You can either use an older chipped key or buy a couple of new ones (you should have two), but a dealer with a Nissan Consult unit will have to program your keys to play nicely with the '99 ECU. The car won't start until this is done.

I've been to a Nissan dealer three times to have this done, for various reasons. Cost me about $75 for the work - and I have my own car trailer.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Thank for the help so far guys.

My friend is very familiar with the 5spd swaps, and has not trouble with the rewiring. But this issue is totally different.

To clarify, the CEL doesn't come on at all when they key is in or turned. It is supposed to turn on for a few seconds to confirm it is working, and then go off when the car is started unless there is a problem. --- With the OBD2 scanner plugged in, it works normal. ---

The fuel pump is not priming at all when the key is turned. The starter will not click or crank at all when the key is turned. --- With the OBD2 scanner plugged in, it cranks fine when the key is turned to "start", still no fuel pump action though ---

Very weird. All fuses and relays checked and ok. I know it shouldn't start without the chipped key, but it should at least crank but it doesn't.
Shouldn't be necessary to drive with the OBD2 scanner plugged in!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Check for power and ground at the ecu. It sounds like the OBD scanner is completing the circuit for you.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Reizy
Check for power and ground at the ecu. It sounds like the OBD scanner is completing the circuit for you.
Funny thing, that's what my buddy had done when I saw this post. After we finished installing wiring the engines bay, the ECU worked and CEL worked normal egain.
It was the the 2 ground wire bundles by the front fuel injectors, that bolt to the intake manifold. These are the ECU grounds!
After that, the car cranked fine. So, the ECU does have a hand in determining if the car will crank.

But still, the fuel pump would not run. The fuel pump relay in the driver footwell, behind the ABS module, was not working properly. With the 12v+ jumpered to the fuel pump power wire, it worked! Could be left this way since it only runs with key in "on" or "start" positions.

Car started right up with the new chipped key, and NVIS box and ECU that go with it.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by speedymax99
Funny thing, that's what my buddy had done when I saw this post. After we finished installing wiring the engines bay, the ECU worked and CEL worked normal egain.
It was the the 2 ground wire bundles by the front fuel injectors, that bolt to the intake manifold. These are the ECU grounds!
After that, the car cranked fine. So, the ECU does have a hand in determining if the car will crank.

But still, the fuel pump would not run. The fuel pump relay in the driver footwell, behind the ABS module, was not working properly. With the 12v+ jumpered to the fuel pump power wire, it worked! Could be left this way since it only runs with key in "on" or "start" positions.

Car started right up with the new chipped key, and NVIS box and ECU that go with it.
Yeah F18 and F19, to the UIM. The ECU ground directly to the engine to keep ground loop current to a minimum because of all the sensors.

For the fuel pump, check fuse 17 and fuse 32. 17 supplies power to the relay coil, and that is grounded by the ECU at pin 117 to turn the pump on. 32 supplies power to the pump itself, which is routed through the contacts of said relay.

The fuel pump runs for one second after the key is turned to "ON". After that it does not run unless the ECU receives signals from the crank pos senor that the engine is rotating. So just powering it with 12v from the ignition position of the ignition switch is not exactly the same thing. It's a saftey thing so that if the car is wrecked and the key remains "ON" but the engine is not rotating, the pump will be off. So incase one of the fuel lines is broken, a puddle of death will not form under your vehicle.