Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What are good H/U with a nice display

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 06:45 PM

What are good H/U with a nice display

I miss my double-DIN Clarion ADX 5655z's display with 8 different modes, but my car was vandalized and my Clarion was stolen. I'm trying to find a good replacement. Any suggestions in the under $00 range?
Old 07-17-2002, 07:59 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

under what range?

If you are looking for something with a nice display, in my opinion you can't go wrong with Pioneers.. They are very easy to read, and the decent models have screensavers and graphics, they look good and they aren't bad as far as quality goes. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-17-2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
under what range?

If you are looking for something with a nice display, in my opinion you can't go wrong with Pioneers.. They are very easy to read, and the decent models have screensavers and graphics, they look good and they aren't bad as far as quality goes. Just my 2 cents
sorry that was 400...Pioneers look good...but not so sure about their displays...
Old 07-17-2002, 08:38 PM
Very sound, Mike

Eclipse or Alpine's. Kenwood's eXcelon line is also a good buy. I used to have the x815 in my old car and loved them.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Eclipse or Alpine's. Kenwood's eXcelon line is also a good buy. I used to have the x815 in my old car and loved them.
I have checked out the latest Alpine and Kenwood headunits and their displays are not all that. Nothing like my ole Clarion
Old 07-18-2002, 07:19 AM
I like Maximas

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

I have checked out the latest Alpine and Kenwood headunits and their displays are not all that. Nothing like my ole Clarion
Well the pioneers have pretty crafty displays, but if you like your old clarion why don't you just get another one just like it?
Old 07-18-2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by vipervadim
Well the pioneers have pretty crafty displays, but if you like your old clarion why don't you just get another one just like it?
Vadim,
spasibo za sovet.

my Clarion was sticking out a bit from the dash, and had no security features, at least a detachable face....it was too easy to spot, thats how it drew attn to itself..
Old 07-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Very sound, Mike

You're Russian too!

heheh, so i guess the Eclipse is also out of the question huh? I'm in the same boat as you...

-Alpine/Eclipse/eXcelon sounds good IMHO.
-Alpine's are hard to come by locally
-Eclipse have no security features
-eXcelon's are good but i don't like the design on some (too busy)
-Pioneers have a slightly cleaner interface but the SQ isn't that good to my ears.
-JVC has very clean looking mp3/cd headunits but as far as SQ goes i'm not sure (haven't tried them)
-Clarion's, i've only had experience with the stock headunits. I'm assuming the Pro-series would sound better or up to par with the first three in this list. I just don't like how the current models look like.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:02 AM

You're Russian too!

-Pioneers have a slightly cleaner interface but the SQ isn't that good to my ears.
-JVC has very clean looking mp3/cd headunits but as far as SQ goes i'm not sure (haven't tried them)
-Clarion's, i've only had experience with the stock headunits. I'm assuming the Pro-series would sound better or up to par with the first three in this list. I just don't like how the current models look like.
yes I am:-)

-Eclipse- dont like the styling, display
-Alpine, too much $$ but display sucks
-Kenwood- was advised categorically against buying Kenwood. My boy bought one and it broke on him being just 2 weeks old. Displays are only 2 mode, like a casion slot machine, wtf?
-Pioneer-seem too flashy for me, I need a dark faceplate, and more featured on display.
-JVC-dont have anything against, really
-Clarion-I had ADX 5655z unit before and it was rock solid, nice display, but would not get another one because of the lack of security features...

poor me
-

Old 07-18-2002, 04:55 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

You're Russian too!

heheh, so i guess the Eclipse is also out of the question huh? I'm in the same boat as you...

Eclipse may not have security features but someone told me that they have an excellent warranty, like if someone steals it, they replace it for you for free.. can anyone confirm that?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:03 PM
Very sound, Mike

yep, they have ESN. it's not as simple and convenient as it sounds though.

first you need to get the police involved to get an official report, that in turn needs to be sent to Eclipse for verification.

simple enough? not really, it seems a lot of people are having problems getting Eclipse to keep their part of the bargain. in certain instances they don't even send you a brand new unit.

now add to that, if someone does end up stealing the headunit (because it's so visible) you not only lose the player but you also gain damage on your door/dash/whatnot during the process.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:26 AM

yep, they have ESN. it's not as simple and convenient as it sounds though.

first you need to get the police involved to get an official report, that in turn needs to be sent to Eclipse for verification.

simple enough? not really, it seems a lot of people are having problems getting Eclipse to keep their part of the bargain. in certain instances they don't even send you a brand new unit.

now add to that, if someone does end up stealing the headunit (because it's so visible) you not only lose the player but you also gain damage on your door/dash/whatnot during the process.
I have a great headunit for sale , the pioneer priemer deh-840mp, very flashy but has a second motorized flap that covers the display, very cool IMO and its new in the box... 450 shipped
Old 07-23-2002, 12:14 PM

How much does it cost to ship a HU... Some ebayers charge as much as 25bucks, and average charge 20bucks. One cheap online store ships alpine 7995 for 20bucks..making its price equal to other expensive sites with lil less shipping charge. I'm guessing it will at most cost 10, if not, 15.. I dont think they're are very heavy either..
Old 07-23-2002, 12:23 PM
Very sound, Mike

It should be 3-5lbs IIRC. Most of those shipping prices include insurance.