Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What are the dimensions of veryones boxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 06:46 PM

What are the dimensions of veryones boxes

I was wondering what everyones box dimensions are? I know the back speakers hang down in the trunk so not all boxeds can fit.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Sin

Re: What are the dimensions of veryones boxes

Originally posted by surfwrv32
I was wondering what everyones box dimensions are? I know the back speakers hang down in the trunk so not all boxeds can fit.
Mine goes from the back of the rear seats till about the middle of the spare tire well, from wheel arch to wheel arch, and there is just enough space to get wiring, and a VERY shortened cap/baffle over the rear speakers (basically from the floor of the trunk to about 2" below the rear speakers, btw, my sub tilts backwards a bit to allow for that 2", and no, I can't fit my spare in my car).
Old 08-02-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: Re: What are the dimensions of veryones boxes

Originally posted by Sin

Mine goes from the back of the rear seats till about the middle of the spare tire well, from wheel arch to wheel arch, and there is just enough space to get wiring, and a VERY shortened cap/baffle over the rear speakers (basically from the floor of the trunk to about 2" below the rear speakers, btw, my sub tilts backwards a bit to allow for that 2", and no, I can't fit my spare in my car).
THanks so am I looking at you have to take the spare out to fit a box good box in?
Old 08-02-2002, 10:11 AM
I'm so hood

what exactly is a "box good box"? Or a "good box" for that matter?

Boxes aren't 'good' simply on size. There's recommended enclosure measurements to follow for all subs, for both sealed & ported, and with ported, you can play with the measurements a bit to tune to a certain frequency...

It depends on what you have, and/or what you want. Crap...I get more than enough SPL for my liking out of my 1 12" Treo SS in a sealed box just a tad over 1 cu ft. Turns out they now recommend about 1.25-1.5 for the sub in a sealed enclosure, but I have no problems with how the low end responds, and it still responds to some of the more high frequencies (respectively) the way I want it to. A 1 cu ft box is relatively small, takes up one far corner of my trunk.

That's just my personal experience to say it doesn't take a huge box, nor two subs, to get a moderate amount of SPL (if that's what you're aiming for).
Old 08-02-2002, 10:12 AM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: What are the dimensions of veryones boxes

Originally posted by surfwrv32

THanks so am I looking at you have to take the spare out to fit a box good box in?
Well it depends on how big you wanna go. I mean for some, a 1-1.5 cubic foot box, properly tuned for a 10" will be enough. Then again, some fibreglassing the entire trunk running 2 15" won't be enough. So it depends on how big you wanna go.

There are things you need to consider. For example, what kind of sub(s) do you want to run, how much space are you willing to give up, how big do you want to go, etc. I was willing to give up the majority of my trunk space, some aren't. Then again, I knew right off the bat, that I wanted to go big. So after picking up a JBL 15" GTi, I knew I needed big box to do it justice.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What are the dimensions of veryones boxes

Originally posted by Sin

Well it depends on how big you wanna go. I mean for some, a 1-1.5 cubic foot box, properly tuned for a 10" will be enough. Then again, some fibreglassing the entire trunk running 2 15" won't be enough. So it depends on how big you wanna go.

There are things you need to consider. For example, what kind of sub(s) do you want to run, how much space are you willing to give up, how big do you want to go, etc. I was willing to give up the majority of my trunk space, some aren't. Then again, I knew right off the bat, that I wanted to go big. So after picking up a JBL 15" GTi, I knew I needed big box to do it justice.
Well i before I wrote this post I was getting 2-Jl-12W0 but now i don;t know I listen to the ALpine R-series todat and they sound great. If i can get a good deal onm them i might change but what do u guys think of ALPINE?
Old 08-24-2002, 09:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What are the dimensions of veryones boxes

I run an all Alpine system all speakers are Type S. I am into SQ and one Type S 12 dual 4 ohm wired out at 2 ohms w/ alpine MRP-M200 amp does a really great job. My 12 is in a 1 ft^3 enclosure and hits all the right tones. The only difference b/t Type S and Type R is power handling and cone excursion. I paid brand new for the sub = $85 and amp = $140. If you would happen to go this route I think you would be very happy. Thats my two cents. I will be upgrading my site to show my custom install. All done by me.

peace,
oliver
Old 08-24-2002, 11:13 PM
jmax

I currently only have one diamond MD 12 in a 0.80 cubic foot sealed enclosure. You can ask waydemax in the DC forum how it sounds. It's an example of how very small can sound very big. It's just a matter of matching the right sub to the right enclosure.

Old 08-26-2002, 07:56 PM
rilla dope

I have to agree all around, it's a purely subjective thing. I tried a couple subs in the Max that I had in my T Bird and they sounded terrible, even though they are great in the bird, acoustics are a strange thing.

Sometimes you just take the plunge and go for it. If it doesn't work, try something else. 10s, 12s, 15s, all have their own characteristics so find out what you like. A rolling 15 is more than I like for tight rock and ska, so I go with 10s. I thought about 4 8s though, that would be good fun I think.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:28 PM

all my friends were running dual 12's sealed, and i decided i wanted something different. i wanted a single 15...eventually to be in a ported box. now b/c of that, most of my friends have single 15's, and about half are running ported. 'course, i got a deal on the 2nd 15, so now im'a just beat, and they wont be able to touch me.

eric