Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Mounting XM on the rear deck.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 09:25 PM

Mounting XM on the rear deck.......

If I were to do this, where would the wires be ran for the attenea? I want to do it this way, if I get XM that unit is NOT going outside my car. I dont want it getting jacked up. So if its on the rear deck, where do the other wires get run? Id like to see pics of this.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i know berk or terk something like that has an antenna that has to parts to it... the actual antenna which sits outside with some special foam to the windshield. then the inner piece which is like a reciever that accepts the signal from the antenna outside so that no wires need to go outside the car. They call it "thru-glass" technology reall inventive eh!
Old 08-13-2002, 10:19 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by trinity000
i know berk or terk something like that has an antenna that has to parts to it... the actual antenna which sits outside with some special foam to the windshield. then the inner piece which is like a reciever that accepts the signal from the antenna outside so that no wires need to go outside the car. They call it "thru-glass" technology reall inventive eh!
The antenna compoany is called Terk or check Hirschman.

The thru-glass technology was a great idea about 10 years ago when it was discovered for cellular phones.

--Don
Old 08-13-2002, 11:11 PM

You guys are missing the point, I dont want anything OUTSIDE at all. I want the antanea inside the car. Mounted on the rear deck. THEre was a guy that did this but he hasnt responed to my PM or email. I dont want anything outside my car at all.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Jr'sMaxima
You guys are missing the point, I dont want anything OUTSIDE at all. I want the antanea inside the car. Mounted on the rear deck. THEre was a guy that did this but he hasnt responed to my PM or email. I dont want anything outside my car at all.
there will be at most a 1db loss in SQ. Ive installed tons of XM antenna's inside peoples cars and never had one customer come back to complain!

Ant
Old 08-14-2002, 12:04 AM

LOL, so even with my SQ system Im sure I wont even notice it, LOL. Now question is do I spend my money on that or y pipe..............
Old 08-14-2002, 06:37 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

wow, you can really mount it on the back deck? under the defroster/diversity ant.? thats fantastic news. I've talked to many shops and they wouldnt recommend it, but when I asked them about having a stealth system, they all concurred - "yeah, I got everything stolen last month and I guess they saw my XM antenna..." I heard that enough times to wait for something more hidden..
Old 08-14-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by TimW
wow, you can really mount it on the back deck? under the defroster/diversity ant.? thats fantastic news. I've talked to many shops and they wouldnt recommend it, but when I asked them about having a stealth system, they all concurred - "yeah, I got everything stolen last month and I guess they saw my XM antenna..." I heard that enough times to wait for something more hidden..
the worst that could happen would be that youd loose a few DB's while using the rear defroster. And how often is that anyways.

Ant