Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

6 1/2" infinity components up front... probs in install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 10:57 AM

6 1/2" infinity components up front... probs in install?

I want to get kappa 6 1/2" components up front, and I am wondering hwo hard is it to get the speakers to fit in the factory location...

I've heard of people gutting out the stock speakers to make a bracket for other speakers, but I am wondering if this is necesary, or if anyone has installed kappas in the front with minimal modifications!

Also, how did yall make a clean install of the tweeters? Can you take out the plastic trim piece that seperates the door and the windshield and cut a hole in it? Or better to cut a hole in the doors?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Sin

Re: 6 1/2" infinity components up front... probs in install?

Originally posted by adamlacey
I want to get kappa 6 1/2" components up front, and I am wondering hwo hard is it to get the speakers to fit in the factory location...

I've heard of people gutting out the stock speakers to make a bracket for other speakers, but I am wondering if this is necesary, or if anyone has installed kappas in the front with minimal modifications!

Also, how did yall make a clean install of the tweeters? Can you take out the plastic trim piece that seperates the door and the windshield and cut a hole in it? Or better to cut a hole in the doors?

Thanks
Getting them to fit should be a piece of cake. Just four screws. Really, it's that easy. Just make sure you use 6.5" seals between the speakers and the speaker mount. Also, it's a good idea to cut off the half baffle on the stock mount. It'll put weird stresses on the speaker.

Don't you already have tweeters on the door? I mounted my tweeters in the stock location. You could mount tweets on those plastic pieces, but it would have to be a surface mount. Not enough space behind that panel.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:33 PM

Are you talking about the Kappa's or the Kappa perfects? The Kappa's should fit no problem, the Perfects are kinda deep but they should fit as well. Do you have the Bose system in your car? Mine was with out and the baffels are huge, so you shouldn't have a problem. One other note, if you are looking at the Perfects make sure you are going to add an amp, they need power to perform, the Kappa's will benfit from an amp as well. Good luck!!
Old 09-12-2002, 06:44 AM

Re: Re: 6 1/2" infinity components up front... probs in install?

Originally posted by Maxstilln
Are you talking about the Kappa's or the Kappa perfects? The Kappa's should fit no problem, the Perfects are kinda deep but they should fit as well. Do you have the Bose system in your car? Mine was with out and the baffels are huge, so you shouldn't have a problem. One other note, if you are looking at the Perfects make sure you are going to add an amp, they need power to perform, the Kappa's will benfit from an amp as well. Good luck!!
The only problem with my Perfects up front is that with the windows all the way down, the glass hits the speaker when I close the door, generating a slight rattle noise. Other than that, as the name implies, they are perfect!
Old 09-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by adamlacey

Thanks
I have a GXE and didn't have factory locations for the tweeter. My install was simple. I took my door panel off, drilled a hole in the door with a hole saw & you would never know that the location isn't OEM. I didn't need a bracket or anything. I mounted the crossover on the inside of the door panel. Play around with it. There are only a few ways it will fit...you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Just a note, before you drill with the hole saw, take a utility knife or box cutter and cut a circle in the vinyl around where the saw will cut. That way the saw never actually has to cut through the vinyl, just the door panel itself. If you don't, the vinyl on the door will pull when the drill bit hits it & it probably will look crappy.