Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

same speakers all the way around?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 11:11 AM

same speakers all the way around?

as i continue my upgrade from the BOSE i have some basic questions?...should i have the same 4 speakers all the way around?...what speakers and head units do u guys suggest?...anyone have ones theyre lookin to get rid of?....pretty much just post nething bout ur system... all ive purchased so far is rockford 12inch Punch XLC sub for 40 beans with box...?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:57 AM

Go with components in the front and coax speakers in the rear. 6.5" all around. The bose has compenents and thats why they sound pretty good, i mean the bose isnt great but they do sound clear and thats the main thing.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:31 PM

rear speakers should be used mainly for rear fill, if even used at all.

it doesnt really matter what you use for rear as long as they are decent 6.5 coax's .. heck in my old car i had crystal components up front and piece of **** pioneer coax's in the back.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:03 PM

3way speakers are better if you can get them. also look at their RMS
you should use the same pair, but brand name doesn't matter. just the size to make it fit.

about the headunit, it is all about your needs. do you want a CD changer ?
personally not me, I like MP3s (holds like 150 tracks in 1 CD). It also plays rewriteable CDs on top of regular CDs. then you have the satellite radio option which is supposed to be the thing of the future, but I don't recommend it because there will be a monthly fee
Old 09-18-2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by bacid
rear speakers should be used mainly for rear fill, if even used at all.

it doesnt really matter what you use for rear as long as they are decent 6.5 coax's .. heck in my old car i had crystal components up front and piece of **** pioneer coax's in the back.

so can u give me brands...i think i will just get the pioneers for the back...they are reallly cheap so y not...but for the fronts what do u suggest...moderate price range...head unit too..what do u have
Old 09-18-2002, 05:31 PM

give us a price range and we'll start making suggestions
Old 09-18-2002, 05:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DaddyMac
3way speakers are better if you can get them. also look at their RMS
you should use the same pair, but brand name doesn't matter. just the size to make it fit.
thats such bullsh*t. i bet you dont even know what the hell you are talking about. 3 ways can be better if done right. but I would put nice two way actively crossed-over system against any off the shelf 3 way system. dont just get a "system" just to have one. and RMS power handling is inconsequential. you only need enough power to get loud enough for your taste. a mid with 250W rms power handling does not HAVE to have 250W to sound good. know what you are getting into. it is your money after all. i have been into car audio for over 4 years pretty much as my only hobby and i am just getting my first setup this month. so, i have done MAJOR research and with well under 2G's invested i have a competition level system. now, you dont have to spend that to get good sound, especially if you dont get a sub, but for most people the sub is the only thing that matters, well if thats you, ignore me and go get whatever off the shelf POS sub amp, and 3 way "rms" speakers you want. if you want something that sounds good, spend some time on car audio forums like at elitecaraudiol.com, sounddomain.com and termpro.com
good luck and PM me if you want to know more.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:42 PM

Some good brands that I have used are Focal, Polk & Infinity. The Focals are by far the best. Clearer & louder highs and much louder bass than my Polks. I have the Focal 165K2s right now. THey aren't cheap (`$350 new on eBay) but Focal has lower lines if you don't want to spend too much. I do have some Polk MOMO 6.5" comps that I'm selling if you are interested, $200 shipped in mint condition. They are great, I loved them while I had them, but the Focals are better. If you want great budget comps look into Crystal (www.sounddomain.com). Those are around $150 and I've heard they are the best in that price range.

As for head units I have an Alpine 7894 now and I love it. Sounds great and plays MP3s. I had a Pioneer 7300 but sold that in order to get MP3 playback. No complaints about the Pioneer from me though. Simpler to use, not as many adjustments. You might not be satisfied with that sub, I don't like the RF punch line.

Originally posted by KGBSJU

so can u give me brands...i think i will just get the pioneers for the back...they are reallly cheap so y not...but for the fronts what do u suggest...moderate price range...head unit too..what do u have
Old 09-18-2002, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dont listen to anyone's suggestions, go listen to speakers and choose those that YOU like the most.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:43 PM

Well my main issue is money which is sad but I have no choice... I am not lookin to spend a lot of money by any means. So far now I got a real good deal on a Rockford Punch XLC 12". 40 bux with box used for a week. And I also bought a set of Infinity 605cs Components....along with that I bought two Power Acoustik Amps 400W and 800W....so there you can see I have no money. I've been doin a lot of shopping around on the internet and for the price they seemed the best i could find on ebay....remember...im low on funds and im not saving up...so stop laughing...now I was told I can get cheap rears and I can spend about 200 on a head unit...preferably used or a great deal....oh and another thing....do i hafta have 3 preouts on the head?...help please......thanks guys
Old 09-18-2002, 11:07 PM

I didnt have much money to spend on a system too so I went with a pioneer 6400 for the headunit and got some Eclipse coaxial 6.5s up front and running some blaupunkt coaxials in the rear. Also I have Rockford amp and subs
Old 09-19-2002, 05:03 AM

what does it mean when ur post gets MOVED
Old 09-19-2002, 05:06 AM

ahhhhhhhhh now i get it..were in audio and electronics
Old 09-19-2002, 01:15 PM

I'm glad someone is making lots of E-friends
Old 09-19-2002, 02:42 PM
I miss the .org!

Go with Infinity coaxials. Good quality, and decent prices.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:45 PM

and I can spend about 200 on a head unit...preferably used or a great deal....oh and another thing....do i hafta have 3 preouts on the head?...help please......thanks guys
I have a Pioneer DEH-P735 URL=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,131,00.html]CD player[/URL] and a Pioneer DEQ-7600 Equalizer. Both are single din and look great mounted together in the Max's double din dash (looked good in my old Camry). I will sell them both to you for $235 including shipping. Check out the prices on ebay, it's a pretty good deal. The eq has the 3 rca preouts you are looking for and 15 bands of equalization. Both are in great shape. Let me know if you are interested.

-Brett

PS I also have a 5 channel Orion amp CS500.5 (50X4 + 150X1 RMS @ 4 ohms or 75X4 + 300X1 RMS @ 2 ohms) if you are interested in a higher quality amp that could replace both your Power Acoustik's. I would sell it for $190 shipped if you or anyone else is interested.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:13 PM

Seems like a good deal....nothin wrong with the head or EQ....and that is 235 shipped or no?...very interested tho...so just respond to those questions...and well take it from there....
Old 09-19-2002, 06:24 PM

Oh another question for u ....im not familiar with the whole preout thing..but those 3 on the EQ ...they can take the place of the Preouts on the head so i wouldnt have to split one for the speakers.....it looks like thats the case...but yea i can go 235 with shippin included....i am only entertaining one other offer for a top of the line alpine for a good price...peace dude
Old 09-19-2002, 07:36 PM

Seems like a good deal....nothin wrong with the head or EQ....and that is 235 shipped or no?...very interested tho...so just respond to those questions...and well take it from there....

Nothing wrong with either. Working when I had removed from my Camry before trading in for my Max (best move i've ever made). I also will give you the optional remote for the eq which looks very similar to the head remote (also included). I have the box, manuals, etc for the head but not for the eq. The manual for the eq can be easily downloaded from the Pioneer website. The price is $235 shipped. As far as the preouts go, the preout from the head plugs directly into the eq input, the eq then has 3 outputs to run to your amps.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:29 PM

Alright i will def. get back to you on this in the next day or 2...im gonna do some research and get back to ...thanx bro...
Old 09-20-2002, 04:04 PM

Hey dude...I jsut found out im gettin a decent Xplod for 50 bux from a friend..he dont want it nemore....i now the pioneer deal is better stuff but i cant pass up 50 bux....thanks for the offer tho
Old 09-20-2002, 07:04 PM

i just ordered a pioneer deh-7400mp from etronics.com for $253 shipped. the unit plays mp3's, basically its the samething that nismo has (the pioneer deh-6400) but with mp3 capability. i went to several audio shops and checked out the unit, and it seems great. online reviews also came out great. the unit is going in my civic btw.

in the maxima, we have infinity kappa 6.5's i believe, all around, i bought them from a friend who used to have them in his maxima. he installed them, so i guess they should fit, no problem.

for speakers, listen to them before you buy, for other things, read reviews before you buy.

good luck.