Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2 Things: 4th Gen doors- Do all systems= vibration? & Sound Damping experience. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 06:46 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

2 Things: 4th Gen doors- Do all systems= vibration? & Sound Damping experience. Help!

First, I posted in another thread here that I was having problems w/ vibration in the doors w/ just the stock Bose speakers. I am thinking of upgrading, but have reservations due to the presence of vibrations with even the stock system, so I have some questions for ALL 4th Gen guys:

Is it common for guys running Stock (Bose or NON-Bose) do get vibrations in the front door panels with a 100% stock setup?

Is it common to get vibrations in the front doors when running aftermarket speakers off of either the stock non-Bose OR an aftermarket headunit?

Is it common to get vibrations in the front doors when running aftermarket speakers off of an amp?

I am worried that I will get bad vibs with even the modest 25 watts that I am thinking of running to the doors from a Rockford 100a2. Of course, people will suggest sound deadening or damping. Here is what happened LAST time I tried that:

I had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that I wanted to redo the stereo in. I decided to do it right (on a budget), so I went on audio forums and read about sound deadeners. One brand, B-Quiet, was relatively new, but was highly recommended for its price and value. Figuring that the doors had a "tinny" aspect to them when closed, and a slight vibration w/ bass, I bought a whole roll to do the doors, and figured I could get another roll later for the floor, etc. I had had 2 Cherokees before this one, and knew that w/ even 5.25" components they had a tendency to vibrate. With newer cherokees going to 6.5s, I decided deadening was a necessity.

I bought Infinity Kappa series 6.5" components, a JL Vantage box (the unloaded version of the stealthbox- for Cherokees you cannot buy them w/ the woofer), a Kappa 10" sub, and a RF 250a2 to power the sub. For the fronts, I was running the bulletproof 200ix that I have had since it was brand new.

I removed all of the door panels and the plastic water shields and proceded to clean and prep the surface according to the directions. I then applied the deadener with a heatgun and a small roller. I covered the inside of the outer doorskin, the inside (facing out) of the inner door panel/frame, and the in-facing surface of the inner door panel. I made certain to avoid all the lock mechanisms and window tracks. I put in the speakers and put it all back together.

It sounded great. The doors had a "thud" to them when closed, much like a luxury car does. The bass was clean and tight up front, and even when I tuned the system w/o the sub, I was pleased with the bass. Adding the sub was the finishing touch.

Things went fine for a few weeks, until we got a warm day and my wife rolled down the window. When she put it back up, the window was covered in black "GOO." I took the door apart to find that a piece of the deadner had fallen onto the window and stuck there. I cleaned it up w/ goo-gone and made certain that all "hanging" peices were firmly re-attatched. Every once in a while, spots would appear on the windows and I would have to repeat the re-application process. I could deal with this, but it was annoying.

Then spring came, and it all went to $h!+. Every day there wer peices stuck to the windows. It was so bad that is ruined the windoe regulator. $150 later, I had a working window, but the deadner has sagged into a soggy mess at the bottom of the door. I removed wha ti could, cleaned it up as best I could, and sold the Jeep (for other reasons).

The morale of the story? I don't want to go through that again. I don't want doors that vibrate, but I also don't want a soggy mess in the bottom of my doors. What are my options? I am on a VERY limited budget here, but want something that I can listen to during my 2 hour commute.

Thanks for any input or advice that you guys can give to me.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:01 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I have never seen this happen with Dynamat (the Xtreme anyway). The original Ive seen it happen many times...

Look into something in a sprayable version...Cascade V-Blok
(Quiet Kote), Stinger Roadkill, etc

http://cascadeaudio.com/

http://stinger-aamp.com/

--Don
Old 10-11-2002, 07:37 AM
jmax

Or a vinyl mat. The other sugestions I have would be beyond your limited budget requirement.

Old 10-11-2002, 07:48 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by jmax
Or a vinyl mat. The other sugestions I have would be beyond your limited budget requirement.
What about your door speakers? Do they vibrate? If not, do you have deadner? Did you get vibes w/ the stock system?

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
I have never seen this happen with Dynamat (the Xtreme anyway). The original Ive seen it happen many times...

Look into something in a sprayable version...Cascade V-Blok
(Quiet Kote), Stinger Roadkill, etc
http://cascadeaudio.com/
http://stinger-aamp.com/

--Don
Thanks. I think that what i got was just about like the original dynamat. Don, you own a shop- do you often get vibes when guys replace the HU and door/deck speakers w/o any deadening? What about when you amp the doors? Are problems there common?
Old 10-11-2002, 08:32 AM
jmax

Another thing that may help would be to replace the factory plastic mounting cup that holds the factory speakers. Cut something out of MDF or another void free wood. My door speakers themselves do not vibrate. I have a slight vibration where the vinyl panel contacts the steel door. But this is because I havn't replaced the factory screws to hold it on tight. My front doors have about 3 layers cascade VB2HD on the inner door and two cans of cascade dampening spray. On the outer panel I think I have some more cascade vinyl material. But also a few feet of peel and seal, very similar to brown bread.

I don't remember the stock system. I havn't had any of it for over two years.

Old 10-11-2002, 08:36 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by phenryiv1

Thanks. I think that what i got was just about like the original dynamat. Don, you own a shop- do you often get vibes when guys replace the HU and door/deck speakers w/o any deadening? What about when you amp the doors? Are problems there common?

I dont often get problem/vibrations when just connesting new HUs/speakers. When they are powered by an amp, I do often get this. While it is difficult to the common ear to hear, I still hear it.

Another one to also look into is the Cascade VB3.5 it contains a Lead septum, being one of the bst possible deading materials on the market now. It is high in pricing, but well worth the dollar.

--Don
Old 10-19-2002, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Homepage
Old 10-20-2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
Homepage

whoa u must have some serious rattle issues! lol i hope all that work was well worth it!
Old 10-21-2002, 11:38 AM
living out of a maxima...

Wow, that's a lot of sound-deadening material!!!

I'd like to quiet my cabin a little, but I don't think I'll be going to that extreme. Where would you recommend that I start? Floor? Doors? I'm looking eliminate road noise more than rattles.