Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What kind of wires do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 11:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just bought this Varad EL Scanner. It's a strip of len that when hooked up to the car, there'll be a blue light moving back and forth. It could be hooked up to your alarm system or your ignition. The problem is right now the wires aren't long enough. The wires are silver and thin looking. I went to the hardware store to check out some wires, and only found speaker wires that are similiar to this. However, the speaker wires have two wires to them; a gold one and a silver one. Is this the correct wires to buy? Also, when I hook this scanner to my car, I need to hook it up a ground. I'm not electronically incline, so what does this mean? Where's the ground? There is a diagram that stated something about I could use the ground that is in the fuse box. Huh? There's total of three wires: one to connect to a ground, one to connect to + battery terminal, and one to either the ignition or alarm. So, just want to see if you guys could help me out here. This seem simple, but it's just too bad I'm too...DUMB to figure it out.
Old 12-24-2000, 11:41 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Ok, here's the 'skinny' on those Varad EL scanners.

You can use pretty much any wire, although, I'd highly recommend some automotive-grade 18ga or smaller wire. Try to color code 'em, too. So you won't get too confused once you hook things up.

When they refer to a 'ground', you can use any frame support, metal panel, or anything that may be connected to the chassis of the car, and is metal (the metal part is crucial).

The three wires hook up exactly like you described in the diagram. One wire will provide constant 12v. And pleeeeze provide a fuse to that wire. Can't stress enuff about that one. One wire will provide a ground. That's the one I told you will connect to the chassis of the car. And the last wire will be your 'trigger' wire. You can either connect this wire to your ignition wire (the wire that shows NOTHING when the key is off, and power when the key is on), or a trigger wire on your alarm. Different alarms vary, so I'm not sure if you have an alarm, or which one you have.

That's my $0.02 worth.
Old 12-24-2000, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks a lot. What do you mean provide a fuse for the wire that will be connected to a constant 12v? This helps me out a lot.
Old 12-24-2000, 01:04 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Oh, what I meant was to be sure and put a fuse in-line with the wire you'll be using for the 12v constant wire. We don't want your car become a molten piece of slag metal just for tha sake of a scanner light, do we???