Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone with flush mounted screen (read)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 04:34 PM

Anyone with flush mounted screen (read)

I am thinking of puting in one of those microvision 7" screens in my dash (flush mounted). Can anyone who has this setup answer a few of my ?'s.
Does the screen come with a new trim piece for around the screen or do you just use the factory one? I saw how the cd player is mounted in the storage compartment below the screen, does that compartment need to be cut out so the deck will fit? I didn't want to do any major fabrication that couldn't be reversed if I ever wanted to take it out for selling purposes. How hard of a job is it to put it in and make it look good. A friend of mine installs stereos for all of our friends and does a real good job so I think he and I could do it if it's not terribly difficult. How is the the picture quality on the microvision 7"? Is there adjustments for picture ect like on a home tv? Also I can run a PS2 on it right, and the sound comes out car speakers, correct? Do I need anything special to set it up with PS2, do I need a deck with a certain imput or anything?

Thanks to anyone who responds, I want to do this really bad and trying to find out everything I need before hand so I don't run into any surprizes along the way.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:12 PM

Hey, I was wondering the same thing. I was looking to go the 7" screen in the dash route, but I found a relatively cheap sony head unit that has the motorized screen that I really like. It's a 7" wide screen with great clarity, and in general, looks really nice.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:45 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

post this in the audio/video forum. I believe someone is selling one that fits in the center console perfectly for $250. Looks pretty damn clean too.

I just got a 5" LCD... but i'm mounting it on a flex-arm up front.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by nadir_s
post this in the audio/video forum. I believe someone is selling one that fits in the center console perfectly for $250. Looks pretty damn clean too.

I just got a 5" LCD... but i'm mounting it on a flex-arm up front.
Isn't Redmax selling this screen? Hey Redmax can you
answer any of these ??'s.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:24 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by 975spEEd

Isn't Redmax selling this screen? Hey Redmax can you
answer any of these ??'s.
yeah, he is. It looks hella nice and extremely clean. I would've gone that route but i coudln't afford replacing the Bose. PM or email him. If you check out his cardomain, i think, he has pics of it there.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:52 PM

it is easy to put in, fit right where your bose goes with very little modification, you can hoke ps2 right up to it and run the audio to the aux on your deck. deck fits in the spare compartment perfectly, picture quality is great, u can adjust picture quality like contrast and stuff with the remote only thing it dosent have is sharpness i think i answered all your ?'s
Old 11-03-2002, 01:26 PM

Is there a write-up of the installation of this screen, with pics?

How hard is it to install, and how do you get it to remain flushly mounted? Does the screen come with mounting hardware...any additional info?? ANYONE???
Old 11-03-2002, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by max1ma97se
it is easy to put in, fit right where your bose goes with very little modification, you can hoke ps2 right up to it and run the audio to the aux on your deck. deck fits in the spare compartment perfectly, picture quality is great, u can adjust picture quality like contrast and stuff with the remote only thing it dosent have is sharpness i think i answered all your ?'s
ehat kinda deck do u have i have a pioneer deh-8000r and i have a area in the radio that says 'AUX' but i couldnt find the rca jacks... i dunno im juts gonna bring it to the shop so they can figure it out... i mounted my ps2 in my glove box! whoa what a pain in the a$$! ill have pics soon
Old 11-04-2002, 10:40 PM

So do I have to break of the little door on the spare compartment?
you don't have to cut out the back? Or do I buy a whole new trim piece.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by 975spEEd

So do I have to break of the little door on the spare compartment?
you don't have to cut out the back? Or do I buy a whole new trim piece.
it just slips out
Old 11-05-2002, 06:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by max1ma97se
[B]
when you pull out the center radio consle there at two or four scews that hold hat bottom campartment in place.. if you remove the screws it just comes right out and any J size radio will fit perfictlly just as if it were on top in its original place.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PS2 in the glovebox? Let me in on the secret. I wanted to do that but I thought it wouldn't fit. I was going to move my changer from under the driver seat to the glove box and put the PS2 under there but if you know how to make it fit e-mail me directions or something. If you live in New York hook me up with ya service. Holla back.
Originally posted by DaThrillr

ehat kinda deck do u have i have a pioneer deh-8000r and i have a area in the radio that says 'AUX' but i couldnt find the rca jacks... i dunno im juts gonna bring it to the shop so they can figure it out... i mounted my ps2 in my glove box! whoa what a pain in the a$$! ill have pics soon
Old 11-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Redlinemax Owner

Okee Dokee Thanks for the write up max1 The Screen can be mounted directly behind the original trim piece with either a really good hot glue or silicone. I am in the process of trying to fabricate premade trim pieces made of Fiberglass which will have the screen premounted. so that people don't have to use their original trim piece if they don't want to.

ssilva420 is right about the extra compartment also. take out the screws and the new head unit fits perfectly. the compartment is a 1 din opening

PS2 in the Glove box , i wanna know the secret too1!! I bought a ps2 to put in there and could not figure out how to make it fit. Its too wide!! I wanna See!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 02:24 PM

ill let u guys in on the secrets soon wait until mine is finished im going to get tv tomorrow or thurs... i just need help on mounting it any ideas? i dont want it to be loose! ill post some pics of my glove box soon... it was a pain in the a$$!
Old 11-05-2002, 10:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redmax
[B]

The Screen can be mounted directly behind the original trim piece with either a really good hot glue or silicone.

So do you have to glue it in place or do you screw it in to the existing headunit brackets.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:19 PM

glue wtf??? i just bent the metal frame out just a bit, and used dremal to widen sqrew holes so i could sqrew into the screen frame.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:51 AM

7" sony radio monitor

i installed that peice really nice but... u cant play music while watching tv... its not like the alpine.pioneer and the others...
i like to play a game a listen to beats while playin... just my opinion