Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

new speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 11:05 PM

new speakers?

hey i am replacing the bose system and putting in a new head unit sony cdx-mp30 and in the rear 6 1/2 infinity reference speakers from crutchfield now i got another pair for the front but my question is should i install these in the front or get some comps for the front. which would sound better? i am hoping with this i will have good highs and mid range with better then bose bass in the car. if i go wiht the comps then the second pair of infinity speakers will be up for sell. thanks in adavance for the input....
brian
Old 11-15-2002, 03:28 PM

ok chief, first step is....DONT GET SONY!!!
contrary to what you may believe, sony car audio is very poor. secondly, if you want the best sound possible in your fron stage, definetly go for comps, but they are more expensive. if you do get high-end comps, i suggest getting a 4-channel amp also.

here's the top 3 hu companies(thanks to Don):
1. Eclipse 2. Alpine 3. Pioneer/kenwood

here's some of the top component companies:
1. diamond audio(you can get from pearl96max aka Don)
2. Dynaudio
3. Focal
4. MB Quart

GOOD LUCK with your decisions!!
Old 11-15-2002, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by InfamousOrange
ok chief, first step is....DONT GET SONY!!!
contrary to what you may believe, sony car audio is very poor. secondly, if you want the best sound possible in your fron stage, definetly go for comps, but they are more expensive. if you do get high-end comps, i suggest getting a 4-channel amp also.

2. Dynaudio
3. Focal
4. MB Quart

GOOD LUCK with your decisions!!
decent list of H.U but there are far better, denon mcintosh etc.. but for the $$ those are good

as for comps, there are plenty of other good companies, $$$ doesnt always indicate performance

I dont see how you made a list without brands like CDT, ID etc....
Old 11-15-2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by TylerBorg

decent list of H.U but there are far better, denon mcintosh etc.. but for the $$ those are good

as for comps, there are plenty of other good companies, $$$ doesnt always indicate performance

I dont see how you made a list without brands like CDT, ID etc....
sorry i left cdt out but i dont think id's are so hot. and denon is way pricey especially considerin his first choice was sony.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:45 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Orange.....thanks for including me

Tyler..Denon is way higher in the price range than a general consumer would like to strech obviously the same with McIntosh, but while at it...what about Nak?? BTW, FYI Denon just started doing mobile audio again after being away for so long, I would not throw my money into them...

You also refer to Eclipse as only decent? Just out of curiosity what HU are you using?

No one said $$$ maid the speakers better, FYI Diamond Audio was reviewed and prevailed several times over the competitors for the best SQ to budget. Where is the high expense in that?

CDT.....IMO way over rated, I also would not put ID in the same category as DA,Dyn.or Focal.

Try trying to flame......just voicing my opinion.

--Don
Old 11-18-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
No one said $$$ maid the speakers better, FYI Diamond Audio was reviewed and prevailed several times over the competitors for the best SQ to budget. Where is the high expense in that?
You could say the same thing about a Maxima, but if I could get a M5 for the same price, there would be no question. Price is something.

CDT.....IMO way over rated, I also would not put ID in the same category as DA,Dyn.or Focal.
Not sure how you can put DA and Focal in the same category as Dynaudio.

IMO

The top: Dynaudio and Rainbow

Still incredible and almost affordable: CDT (which I happen to be fond of), Focal, DA, and MBQ (maybe)

Just my $.02

Brett
Old 11-19-2002, 05:59 AM

Oz Audio, Morel, Arc Audio and even Brax! Anyways, what is this guys budget.

And contrary to the first reply in this thread, Sony did have nice HUs and still do have one that I like. If some of you are old enough to go back about 5-6 years (in the good days of Mobile ES), they had some of the better HUs. I'm also intrigued by Sony's current C90, it looks very promising!

Reply to original post: (i'm too lazy to quote)
Well, the infinity's will give you better sound (definetly), but depending on the install and power you give them, any speaker can sound good. As someone said, you don't need to spend big bucks to get good sound, you just gotta know what your doing. Depending on what your looking for, there are many ways to go about your setup, some prefer having some actual imaging, and keeping the soundstage up front, others just want a louder, clearer and more crisp sounding system. Once you've purchased your speakers, figure out what you want. If your going to add an amp, you may opt for simply a 2 channel, and only power your font speakers. Although if you want a natural sounding system, consider just using your fronts, and maybe a single 10" w/ 300-500W. With a good set of drivers up front (where you sit), and nice amplification, you can have a really good sounding system with minimal $$$ spent. But then again it all depend on what YOU want, some people don't want to sacrfice trunk space for subs, I'm just throwing out options!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by AudioAltima

2. Dynaudio
3. Focal
4. MB Quart
dont forget rockford fosgates, JL audio and blaupunkt
Old 11-19-2002, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by polak182

dont forget rockford fosgates, JL audio and blaupunkt
It's funny how you quote me when I didn't say any of that. But that alright!

Oh and if your being sarcastic about those, I'd have to disagree with at least one of them. The JL XR comps are pretty damn good!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh and if your being sarcastic about those, I'd have to disagree with at least one of them. The JL XR comps are pretty damn good!
opps! i was trying to click repost when InfamousOrange posted his thread but i accidentally clicked urs. sowwie!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:45 AM

I agree in the hopes he was being sarcastic.

I have to disagree on the JL XRs though. Dont get me wrong they are not all that bad, but they do not deserve to be up next to the others previously posted...

--Don
Old 11-19-2002, 07:12 AM

I agree in the hopes he was being sarcastic.

I have to disagree on the JL XRs though. Dont get me wrong they are not all that bad, but they do not deserve to be up next to the others previously posted...

--Don
Agreed, but then again, I wouldn't put them with Blaupunkt or RF! Then again, all speakers sound different, and have different qualities. though I still wouldn't put the JL drivers up with any of the above, but they have been known too put out a nice low-end, something you don't always get, even with higher end speakers. This is probably because, higher end speakers arent so much intended to be used at low freqs, ... i don't want to start getting into how every driver has it's purpose... it'll go on forever. Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, of all the speakers I have listened too (in car, JLs were heard in a show room, big difference in output), I'd have to give mid-bass to Morels, and overall comp set to Focal. Some find the tweeter to be a little harsh, but personally, I liked it. then again, an EQ and a better crossover can fix anything! I've always been an 'active' man, then again, KISS is probably the best route to take when starting out!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:37 AM

Agreed, but then again, I wouldn't put them with Blaupunkt or RF! Then again, all speakers sound different, and have different qualities. though I still wouldn't put the JL drivers up with any of the above, but they have been known too put out a nice low-end, something you don't always get, even with higher end speakers. This is probably because, higher end speakers arent so much intended to be used at low freqs, ... i don't want to start getting into how every driver has it's purpose... it'll go on forever. Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, of all the speakers I have listened too (in car, JLs were heard in a show room, big difference in output), I'd have to give mid-bass to Morels, and overall comp set to Focal. Some find the tweeter to be a little harsh, but personally, I liked it. then again, an EQ and a better crossover can fix anything! I've always been an 'active' man, then again, KISS is probably the best route to take when starting out!
Definately a big difference between a showroom and a cars environment.

I had actually expected alot more from JLs "higher line" of speakers, than what I actually heard. I was indeed a litle disapointed.

As far as an Eq is concerned, I only believe it is a crutch for a weak system. This is just my opinion, so Im hoping no offense is taken here.

--Don
Old 11-19-2002, 07:55 AM

Definately a big difference between a showroom and a cars environment.

I had actually expected alot more from JLs "higher line" of speakers, than what I actually heard. I was indeed a litle disapointed.

As far as an Eq is concerned, I only believe it is a crutch for a weak system. This is just my opinion, so Im hoping no offense is taken here.

--Don
None at all....

I completly agree, EQs in some cases are overused. Many times they arent needed, and other times they are just horribly mis-tuned! Although ANYTHING other then what it needed to create the sound can work against you. Drawbacks include freq. output being too prominent on certain bands, used as again rather then to flatten the curve (inexperience), and as anything can, it's just one more piece of equipment your throwing on that could induce noice into your speakers. Although, a properly installed, and properly tuned EQ can SEVERLY benefit a system.

Just to back up my agreeance with you, as I stated above, the KISS theorum is always the best one!
Old 11-19-2002, 08:01 AM

Just to back up my agreeance with you, as I stated above, the KISS theorum is always the best one!

VERY much agreed