Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

sub questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 04:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sub questions

One of my subs hits harder than the other. Is this normal or is there somethin wrong with my setup I running 2 10 s
Old 11-22-2002, 04:57 PM

are both subs of the same impedance?

Are they SVC or DVC? You may have reversed the polarities on one sub causing it to play improperly! (on VC pushes out while the other is reversed pulling in!).
Old 11-23-2002, 12:13 AM
jmax

Originally posted by AudioAltima
are both subs of the same impedance?

Are they SVC or DVC? You may have reversed the polarities on one sub causing it to play improperly! (on VC pushes out while the other is reversed pulling in!).
Actually when you have the dual voice coils out of phase it is more like haveing two magnets opposing each other. You get a net magnetic force of zero, no movement.

Old 11-23-2002, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by jmax

Actually when you have the dual voice coils out of phase it is more like haveing two magnets opposing each other. You get a net magnetic force of zero, no movement.
true... but in a single chambered box, the pressure of the othe sub will cause both to move possibly making it look like one is moving more then the other. Thats sorta what I meant. I knew it wouldn't be going anywhere. But the pressure from the other sub would push the sub outwards. Anyways, it's a quick way to melt the VCs if it is hooked up this way, cause all it's doing is producing heat.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:47 AM
jmax

The additional heat is minimal. A sub is less than 1% efficient. Cooling from the movement of the cone is very little. The difference in temperature of the coils of one hooked up properly and one hooked up out of phase would be proportional to the efficiency and not enough to fry the coil unless you are already significantly overpowering the sub. It just won't be making any music connected that way. He may have one sub connected parallel and one in series. or have mismatched drivers. Or a bad speaker. It's hard to tell from here.

Old 11-23-2002, 04:54 PM

so what you guys are saying is that i should take it to an installer and have them look at it? any suggestions on what i could try myself?(in simple terms please lol) thanks
Old 11-23-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by raga55
so what you guys are saying is that i should take it to an installer and have them look at it? any suggestions on what i could try myself?(in simple terms please lol) thanks
You still have not told us very much about the setup. Are the subs single voice coil or double? Are they powered by the same amp (1 or 2 channels) or different amps? Is this a new problem, or has it always been like that?

A quick thing to check would be to look at the setup and make sure that both subs are wired identically to the amp(s) and that all conections are good both to the subs and amp(s). If you do not find anything wrong, it could be a faulty piece of equipment (amp, sub, etc.) in which case you might want to take it to be tested.

Also if your amp is more than one channel or you have more than one sub amp, you might try switching the subs and see if the same one is louder or not.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bahmax
[B]
You still have not told us very much about the setup. Are the subs single voice coil or double? Are they powered by the same amp (1 or 2 channels) or different amps? Is this a new problem, or has it always been like that?

there powered by the same amp 2 channel and im not sure if theyre single or double voice coil (theyre the thunder 4000 series mtxs) and its been like this for a while now