Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

might get flamed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 12:01 PM

might get flamed!!!

need help fellas....i'm tryin to install a pioneer hu into my moms car (1995 integra)...bought the wiring harness and mounting kit and whatnot....hooked up the harness and the wires...radio won't work unless the headlights are on, which also turns off the maint. req light...turn lights off, radio turns off as well the clock, but maint req light comes on.....ended up puttin stock radio back in and now the clock doesn't work at all, but the maint req light is still off (good thing i guess)...not to mention moms is ****ed.....first question is, any of you guys have opinions to whats goin on and the second question is..are there any GOOD acura sites like the org that any of you know of...hours of searchin on google and i came across a bunch of bap azz honda/acura sites that don't have any help at all!!! preciate it fellas!!
Old 12-29-2002, 01:25 PM

Don't know of any acura sites but I'm sure you can probably find one. You might even want to check out http://www.the12volt.com/index.asp they may be able to help. From what I've read so far, it sounds like you have the power (+12v switched on) and the illumination wires reversed. I'm not certain but you may want to double check that. Also, it's been my experience that those harnesses aren't always correct. If you have a meter you may want to double check the voltage sources. One last thing, I know some cars have some of the alarm wiring running through the radios. This may not apply to your car but I know there are some cars that installers cram the old radio behind the dash, still wired up w/o speakers, and install the new one in the dash. HOpe this doesn't apply to you. GOod luck, keep us informed.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

For good site on H/A check out Hoda-Tech

It seems that you hooked up your harness wrong where you picked illumination wire instead of power wire to feed your headunit. since it probably can't sustain the load of the HU and blew the fuse for the clock. Go through the fuses and replace the blown ones. then look at the harness again - if you got a decent harness the colors on the "car" part off the harness should match with colors on the "HU" side of the harness. And RTFM if things are unclear tons of people put the systems in the integras without any problems.

Max
Old 12-29-2002, 02:14 PM

thanks for replyin fellas...i'm thinkin its the wiring setup on the harness too...i have to connect the illuminating wire(orange) to the battery memory wire (yellow)in order for it to come on at all....whats baffling me is i connected the stock radio back up and the clock won't come on at all but will come on with the pionner hu when the lights are on....from the fuse diagram, there is no fuse for the clock on there...although i know its probably connected to sumthin else that uses the fuse....i plan on checkin the harness again (bought the first one from autozone) and see if there is a harness with a wire connection for the illuminating wire....if that fails, guess i will take it to circuit city and have it installed for free (should have did this the first time) since it was over $100 dollars...once again, thanks for the replys fellas!!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxdout92se
thanks for replyin fellas...i'm thinkin its the wiring setup on the harness too...i have to connect the illuminating wire(orange) to the battery memory wire (yellow)in order for it to come on at all....whats baffling me is i connected the stock radio back up and the clock won't come on at all but will come on with the pionner hu when the lights are on....from the fuse diagram, there is no fuse for the clock on there...although i know its probably connected to sumthin else that uses the fuse....i plan on checkin the harness again (bought the first one from autozone) and see if there is a harness with a wire connection for the illuminating wire....if that fails, guess i will take it to circuit city and have it installed for free (should have did this the first time) since it was over $100 dollars...once again, thanks for the replys fellas!!!!
Most cheaper hedunits don't use illumination wire at all. It shoud have red for battery power (for memory) and yellow for ACC power (for operation).
Old 12-29-2002, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Maksim2000

Most cheaper hedunits don't use illumination wire at all. It shoud have red for battery power (for memory) and yellow for ACC power (for operation).
thats my mix up...you're right, i have to connect the illumination wire to the acc power wire for it to work...not the battery wire....i can also connect it to the blue sys wire and it will work to...but only when the lights are on!! it irks me cause i never ever had this problem with my max and i have pioneer everything in there, but there was an aftermarket harness in there when i bought it soo....but thanks!!