Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Component Speaker Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Component Speaker Problem

If my component speakers are infact shorting out, what should i be looking for and how can i fix it? Any and i mean ANY input would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:44 PM

Re: Component Speaker Problem

Originally posted by MaximaRider
If my component speakers are infact shorting out, what should i be looking for and how can i fix it? Any and i mean ANY input would be appreciated.
Hook up a multi-meter to the positive and negative outputs on the speaker (unhooked from the amp). You should achieve around 3.5-4.0 ohms (being the speakers are 4 ohms). Now, check this rating with the speakers hooked up to the amp (with no signal). You should achieve around the same results. Any other amount (such as a high amount) means there is something shortening from the path of the speakers to the amp. Also, check the reading from the speaker inputs of the amp when the music is playing (applying signal). This should also read around 4 ohms, if everything is normal. Also, you might want to check your crossovers to your components. The output coming out of them should read around 4 ohms when the speakers are wired to them (no signal).
Old 01-14-2003, 04:09 PM

Could be as simple as one of the wires connected to the speaker (or x-over) touching the body of the car. Check all the connections and try and track down when it happens (ie: bumps).

If that's not in the right direction, give a little more info on the problem. Lord knows I ran into just about every one with my install.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:28 PM

Aite well here's the breakdown on when it happens. It happens over extremely rough bumps in the road, i live in NJ so that means like 90% of the roads lol. And i also notice it when i turn the steering wheel to the right, i took the door panels off and checked the crossovers, i am gonna check the rear crossovers tonite, hopefully i can solve my problem myself but i doubt it cause i have been at it for over a week now. Will this ish ever work in harmony! oh well, thanks for the help so far, i wonder if i gave any more insight in this post. Thanx for the help in the future as well.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:02 PM

Aite well here's the breakdown on when it happens. It happens over extremely rough bumps in the road, i live in NJ so that means like 90% of the roads lol. And i also notice it when i turn the steering wheel to the right, i took the door panels off and checked the crossovers, i am gonna check the rear crossovers tonite, hopefully i can solve my problem myself but i doubt it cause i have been at it for over a week now. Will this ish ever work in harmony! oh well, thanks for the help so far, i wonder if i gave any more insight in this post. Thanx for the help in the future as well.
That sounds like a loose connection. Could be the ground on your amp(s), speakers, head unit, etc. I had something similar where the bass would go out with no pattern and it ended up being the fuse holder. The "cup" sides of it were not snug on the fuse (design flaw). The way I found it was I had a friend in the car while I shook the power wire off of the battery. Basically, to find it get a helper and shake every connection there is until you find it. Make sure that all your connections are wrapped in electrical tape (or shrink tubing).

Tell me how you connected all the wires? Did you splice them together, solder them, wire taps? When I connect the wires on an install, I fan out the wires and mesh them together, then I twist them and wrap with electrical tape (starting diagonally down the connection). In over 10 years of doing this I have never had a failure. I've tried using butt connectors and those are worthless...often had those fail. Of course it depends on the gauge of wire you are working with.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:15 PM

my stereo was fine before, i am guessing its my half assed cracked crossover on one of my polk momo's (its in a plastic bag-previous accident smashed the casing) The wires seem to be fine and well placed i already checked all those, the grounds are extremely secure i have a ground block and a power block. all that is checked and fine, i can only think of the rear crossovers (which are the only things i haven't checked yet) thats tonite's project i'll let you know what i come up with. Most of my wires are cut to lenght so no need for butt connectors and such, i have a few but they are taped up with electrical tape (my best friend is E-Tape) Just frustrating but i guess when it comes to stereo its the most tedious part of modding a car.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:56 PM

my stereo was fine before, i am guessing its my half assed cracked crossover on one of my polk momo's (its in a plastic bag-previous accident smashed the casing) The wires seem to be fine and well placed i already checked all those, the grounds are extremely secure i have a ground block and a power block. all that is checked and fine, i can only think of the rear crossovers (which are the only things i haven't checked yet) thats tonite's project i'll let you know what i come up with. Most of my wires are cut to lenght so no need for butt connectors and such, i have a few but they are taped up with electrical tape (my best friend is E-Tape) Just frustrating but i guess when it comes to stereo its the most tedious part of modding a car.
Yea, my mission lasted a couple months. Replacing 4 ga with 2 ga adding a 4 channel amp and 4 components, steering wheel remote interface, fitment problems, etc. Damn this board...costs me so much money!

I will admit that I learned a ton by doing it on this car. Previously I only had experiance with a simple radio+sub+amp install. Components are a whole different animal.

Let me know how it worked out!
Old 01-15-2003, 09:59 AM

FOUND MY PROBLEM!!!
one of my crossovers was messed up from my previous car accident and it has no casing so it was hitting metal in the trunk, finally found the problem, now to fix it, thats today's quest! Thanks for all your help guys.

-Arnaud
Old 01-15-2003, 10:30 AM

FOUND MY PROBLEM!!!
one of my crossovers was messed up from my previous car accident and it has no casing so it was hitting metal in the trunk, finally found the problem, now to fix it, thats today's quest! Thanks for all your help guys.

-Arnaud
Told ya so!