Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2k3 Bose Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 08:32 AM

2k3 Bose Issues

Got my new 2k3 with Bose (no nav)- and have a number of questions...

1) The speed sensor volume control doesn't work- do I have to turn it on somehow?

2) How long does the in dash changer last? I get the feeling I could wear it out pretty quickly...

4) Speaker sound isn't impressive- doesn't seem as clear. Sounds a little muttled for some reason.

5) Bass control- I turn the bass up/down and it doesn't seem to effect the sound.

6) I WANNA ADD SUBS!!! Do I have to replace the entire head unit, or can I add in a sub/amp with the existing unit? Should I replace the factory speakers? How can I control the sub/amp once I add it in?

THANKS A TON!!!
D
Old 03-23-2003, 06:16 PM

Re: 2k3 Bose Issues

BUMPITY BUMP BUMP
Old 03-24-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: Re: 2k3 Bose Issues

Still no answers... BUELER? BUELER? BUELER?

Can someone help?
Thanks
D
Old 03-25-2003, 06:26 AM

1) The speed sensor volume control doesn't work- do I have to turn it on somehow?
Press the Audio button until SCV is displayed. Then hit the Up/Down arrows to change it from off to low/med/high.

2) How long does the in dash changer last? I get the feeling I could wear it out pretty quickly...
It lasts, but has a defect. Read the Audio Forum FAQ.

4) Speaker sound isn't impressive- doesn't seem as clear. Sounds a little muttled for some reason.
The Bose system sucks. And I'm only saying this because I have one.

5) Bass control- I turn the bass up/down and it doesn't seem to effect the sound.
The Bose sub isn't great. Check the power connector on the sub itself inside the trunk.

6) I WANNA ADD SUBS!!! Do I have to replace the entire head unit, or can I add in a sub/amp with the existing unit? Should I replace the factory speakers? How can I control the sub/amp once I add it in?
Read the FAQ. All your answers are there.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:38 AM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I will go read the FAQ right now- I didn't know there was one for this section!

Also- the SCV thing- I assume Low means low volume, while High means higher volume at a stop/slow speed??? can you explain a little bit on this... maybe it's in the FAQ too...

Would you reccommend keeping the head unit and replacing the speakers?
THANKS AGAIN!
D
Old 03-25-2003, 10:22 AM

the SCV thing- I assume Low means low volume, while High means higher volume at a stop/slow speed??? can you explain a little bit on this...
Basically, the adjustments are "how much" the volume should vary. Here's an example:

SVC Off - Volume is 60db @ dead stop
SVC Off - Volume is 60db @ 80 MPH

SVC Low - Volume is 60db @ dead stop
SVC Low - Volume is 65db @ 80 MPH

SVC Med - Volume is 60db @ dead stop
SVC Med - Volume is 70db @ 80 MPH

SVC High - Volume is 60db @ dead stop
SVC High - Volume is 75db @ 80 MPH

So, you can see that the higher the SCV setting, the louder the music will get as road noise increases. They give you options so you can adjust the control over the SCV increase/decrease to your personal preference.

DISCLAIMER: These numbers are just for reference. They are NOT actual db measurements and are not the correct ratios either. Basically what they are is a way to see how the different settings work.

Would you reccommend keeping the head unit and replacing the speakers?
No. Replace the HU first. It's the major weak spot of the system, although it looks nice. In one of linked threads that are in the FAQ, I posted some comments about the Bose HU and the speakers/amps themselves. Sorry that I don't know which one it is.