Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Want Audio experts ADVICE....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 05:20 PM

Want Audio experts ADVICE....

Audio experts! i need your $0.02c. I have(or getting) the following components.

1. 4 x 6.5 Infinit Kappa 3 ways (for mids and highs)
2. 10" Kicker Comp Sub
3. 4 Channel Rockford Fosgate(67.5x4)(getting soon)
4. 250 Kenwood Amp (2 channel)
5. Crossover (dont know anything about it. getting it from friend)
6. 500 watt amp(dont know channel or anything, friend giving it to me)

I want a tricked out system, but with the limited budget, i am sticking with the factory HU. I need to know the best way to install all the stuff that i got. I need any advice on this.

This was what i was thinking, but dont know if is possible.

1. get some kind of harness where i can hook-up the crossover to the HU.
2. Hook up the 4 channel amp to the crossover to power the mids. 3. Hook up the 500 watt amp to the crossover to power the sub.
4. I guess just leave the 250 amp out.

My friend told me i need tons of wiring to do this with the factory HU, but i want to keep the factory hu. Plus a good hu costs like 500 dallors so...

Anyways.. please advise..
Old 03-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Banned

stay with the factory hu...i can't stand flashy HUs with all sorts of colors and ***** and buttons. that or check out some Nakamichi decks you can get a great one for less then 200 and they look really sleek and stylish
Old 03-19-2003, 06:03 PM

Re: Want Audio experts ADVICE....

Originally posted by naerok
Audio experts! i need your $0.02c. I have(or getting) the following components.

1. 4 x 6.5 Infinit Kappa 3 ways (for mids and highs)
2. 10" Kicker Comp Sub
3. 4 Channel Rockford Fosgate(67.5x4)(getting soon)
4. 250 Kenwood Amp (2 channel)
5. Crossover (dont know anything about it. getting it from friend)
6. 500 watt amp(dont know channel or anything, friend giving it to me)

I want a tricked out system, but with the limited budget, i am sticking with the factory HU. I need to know the best way to install all the stuff that i got. I need any advice on this.

This was what i was thinking, but dont know if is possible.

1. get some kind of harness where i can hook-up the crossover to the HU.
2. Hook up the 4 channel amp to the crossover to power the mids. 3. Hook up the 500 watt amp to the crossover to power the sub.
4. I guess just leave the 250 amp out.

My friend told me i need tons of wiring to do this with the factory HU, but i want to keep the factory hu. Plus a good hu costs like 500 dallors so...

Anyways.. please advise..
Your RF amp can probably accept speaker level inputs, and if you are lucky will even have a summed output for the subwoofer; many RF amps have that as well. Bridge the RF amp to power the front speakers and run the rear speakers from the deck. Then run RCA from that summed sub output on the RF to probably the Kenwood amp (or maybe that 500watt if it can go down to 1 channel) to power the 10" subwoofer.

So the Infinity speakers you are getting are tri-axle? If you haven't gotten them already, I recommend getting 2-way components for the fronts (so you can put the tweaters up higher) and some simple co-axle for the rears. The components will have their own cross-overs, no need to buy extra ones.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:36 PM

Re: Re: Want Audio experts ADVICE....

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Your RF amp can probably accept speaker level inputs, and if you are lucky will even have a summed output for the subwoofer; many RF amps have that as well. Bridge the RF amp to power the front speakers and run the rear speakers from the deck. Then run RCA from that summed sub output on the RF to probably the Kenwood amp (or maybe that 500watt if it can go down to 1 channel) to power the 10" subwoofer.

So the Infinity speakers you are getting are tri-axle? If you haven't gotten them already, I recommend getting 2-way components for the fronts (so you can put the tweaters up higher) and some simple co-axle for the rears. The components will have their own cross-overs, no need to buy extra ones.
I have already purchased the 3 ways. It threw me off b/c they came with thier own crossovers. That is when i decided that i needed a 4 channel amp b/c so many pple were saying that kappas need a lot of power. I will have to check on the amp to see if they have speaker level inputs.

Thanks for your advise. I will tell my friend and see if he can do this. This is more complicated than i thought...
Old 03-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would agree with Torgus, Nakamichi decks are nice and simple...not flashy or UFOish...

Originally posted by Torgus
stay with the factory hu...i can't stand flashy HUs with all sorts of colors and ***** and buttons. that or check out some Nakamichi decks you can get a great one for less then 200 and they look really sleek and stylish
Old 03-20-2003, 10:59 PM
jmax

Nakamichi = trash, that's my personal experience.

Forget about the 2nd pair of infinities and the extra wireing harnesses. Get a new HU instead. If need be, save up for two weeks longer. There are many very good HU's for $350 or less retail. I have never heard a kappa that needed a lot of power. But having more than enough power is never a bad thing. I would use a two channel amp for the front speakers and a mono amp for the sub.

Old 03-21-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by jmax

Forget about the 2nd pair of infinities and the extra wireing harnesses. Get a new HU instead. If need be, save up for two weeks longer. There are many very good HU's for $350 or less retail. I have never heard a kappa that needed a lot of power. But having more than enough power is never a bad thing. I would use a two channel amp for the front speakers and a mono amp for the sub.
The HU seems to be the simplest way but it's all about the CHEESE.....
Old 03-21-2003, 07:44 AM
jmax

Originally posted by naerok

The HU seems to be the simplest way but it's all about the CHEESE.....
It's not the simplest. But the better of the two options. Don't forget, cheese left in the car in spring will smell bad by summer.

Old 03-21-2003, 03:15 PM
living out of a maxima...

Don't skimp on the head unit. It's the core of the system, so you can spend millions on the best speakers and amps but it will still sound like poo if there's a crappy signal going to them.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by JeffesonM
Don't skimp on the head unit. It's the core of the system, so you can spend millions on the best speakers and amps but it will still sound like poo if there's a crappy signal going to them.
It's not that im trying to skimp on anything.. it's just that i want my system now.. i dont wanna wait any longer ...I have to save up like one or 2 months to get a good hu.. CANT wait any llllllllllllloooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggge eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr....
Old 03-22-2003, 02:08 PM

The mb100 and cd700 trash???? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:17 PM
Banned

i'v never heard of anyone having problems with their naks but i'm sure its true. i think nakamichi decks and subs are really nice...and unless i'm mistakes last years SQ winner did it with nak subs and deck but if i were you i'd ask aroud at local shops about different HUs...also not many places carry naks...suit yourself though nice 400+ $ hus are cool too.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Torgus
i'v never heard of anyone having problems with their naks but i'm sure its true. i think nakamichi decks and subs are really nice...and unless i'm mistakes last years SQ winner did it with nak subs and deck but if i were you i'd ask aroud at local shops about different HUs...also not many places carry naks...suit yourself though nice 400+ $ hus are cool too.
I'd like to go ahead and say I have the mb100, have a good bit of experience and I like nak...I have seen things go wrong with um, even mine, but no more than any other company and not an unusal amount.

Now, what do you mean last years Sq winner? Theres 8 or 10 class in Iasca alone, plus slap, Usac, and Meca. Alot of people won with alot of different stuff. Just a heads up.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:47 PM
jmax

Originally posted by max'n out

I'd like to go ahead and say I have the mb100, have a good bit of experience and I like nak...I have seen things go wrong with um, even mine, but no more than any other company and not an unusal amount.

Now, what do you mean last years Sq winner? Theres 8 or 10 class in Iasca alone, plus slap, Usac, and Meca. Alot of people won with alot of different stuff. Just a heads up.

Jason, you've heard the story of my MB-100 woes. Bad HU replaced by another bad HU. Then only a 70% refund from Nak. 30% restock fee on a $1000 HU. Never again. I don't care what they make, I won't do it again.

Old 03-23-2003, 10:50 PM

Jason, you've heard the story of my MB-100 woes. Bad HU replaced by another bad HU. Then only a 70% refund from Nak. 30% restock fee on a $1000 HU. Never again. I don't care what they make, I won't do it again.
I remember them charging shipping fees to swap the bad changer for a new good one a few years ago. Or charging to fix the bad one, but I havn't heard much bad said in awhile...And when mine broke they gave me a new one and took that bad one at their cost. And the new one has been fine since.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:56 PM
jmax

I remember them charging shipping fees to swap the bad changer for a new good one a few years ago. Or charging to fix the bad one, but I havn't heard much bad said in awhile...And when mine broke they gave me a new one and took that bad one at their cost. And the new one has been fine since.
I never got one that worked. 2 in a row bad. Then the dealer admitted the HU in his car was the third he installed to get one that worked. That's a little greater failure rate than normal. It took over 30 days to get the second one installed and tested so they cahrged me 30% for the inconvenience of restocking a HU that didn't work. $300 of my dollars. That's more than enough gas money to drive to Florida and back. Or Pizza money for 20 weeks at Papa Johns. Or a pair of . . . Can't tell. It's a secret untill they pass my listening tests.

Old 03-23-2003, 10:58 PM

I never got one that worked. 2 in a row bad. Then the dealer admitted the HU in his car was the third he installed to get one that worked. That's a little greater failure rate than normal. It took over 30 days to get the second one installed and tested so they cahrged me 30% for the inconvenience of restocking a HU that didn't work. $300 of my dollars. That's more than enough gas money to drive to Florida and back. Or Pizza money for 20 weeks at Papa Johns. Or a pair of . . . Can't tell. It's a secret untill they pass my listening tests.
That does suck I woun't take nothing away and thats ****ty they did that to ya. But you know once in awhile event the best companys have bad things happen to good customers...Ive seen a few of the same pieces in a row not work from this company and that company, sadly it does happen.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:21 PM
jmax

That does suck I woun't take nothing away and thats ****ty they did that to ya. But you know once in awhile event the best companys have bad things happen to good customers...Ive seen a few of the same pieces in a row not work from this company and that company, sadly it does happen.

Yeah, but the attitude from tech support both to me and also to the dealer when they called. That took the cake. It's okay though. There are dozens of other companies that have decent service and support that are happy to get my money in the future. Since I spend in the thousands each year on car audio alone, I make more than one company happy with my support of them.

Old 03-23-2003, 11:23 PM

Yeah, but the attitude from tech support both to me and also to the dealer when they called. That took the cake. It's okay though. There are dozens of other companies that have decent service and support that are happy to get my money in the future. Since I spend in the thousands each year on car audio alone, I make more than one company happy with my support of them.
Yeah I'm with you if they doged on you like that **** um, I'm just saying their not the only good company to do it.