Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

rattling in rear deck..how to stop it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 08:35 PM

rattling in rear deck..how to stop it??

I recently put my new amp and subs in my Max..and noticed since the "bass" hits soo hard its caused the rear deck to rattle or come loose and vibrate..its the deck where the BOSE woofer is and child safety latches are on..anyone know how to stop it or secure it tightly from vibrating/rattling???
Old 04-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dynomat or Rammatt should do the trick... At least stop most of the rattling...
Old 04-09-2003, 09:41 AM

EDITED

I took the rear deck lid off to fix the rattles, to do this:

I took out the rear seat, plastic pillars, 3rd brake light, etc. While I had the rear deck lid off, I removed the center seat belt completely because it is never used. I also removed the child seat restraints because I will never use those either (plus, with these item removed, it was easier to lay the Peel & Seal). The last thing I took out was the Bose sub.

I then laid Peel & Seal (similar to Dynamat at a fraction of the cost available at Lowe's or Home Depot) over the entire metal deck, cutting out holes where needed. And with the butt of my exacto knife, pressed it onto the surface of the metal lid to ensure proper contact.

I then laid 1/4" recycled (becasue I care about the Earth) carpet pad over the underside of the deck lid, cutting out holes for the 3rd brake light wire, remaining seat belts, and the deck lid attachment points. I hot glued the carpet pad to the underside of the deck lid to keep it in place for the re-installation of the deck lid.

I then put everything back in the reverse order. I kept the Bose cover, child restraint mounting point covers, and center seat belt opening cover to keep the rear deck lid looking unmodified. All the rattles are gone and the rear deck lid is now solid with the addition of the "filler" between the lid and the metal underneath. I wish I had taken pictures during this process. The hole process only took a couple hours (with beer breaks). Hope that helped.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by GaMax97GLE

I took out the rear seat, plastic pillars, 3rd brake light, etc. While I had the rear deck lid off, I removed the center seat belt completely because it is never used. I also removed the child seat restraints because I will never use those either (plus, with these item removed, it was easier to lay the Peel & Seal). The last thing I took out was the Bose sub.

I then laid Peel & Seal (similar to Dynamat at a fraction of the cost available at Lowe's or Home Depot) over the entire metal deck, cutting out holes where needed. And with the butt of my exacto knife, pressed it onto the surface of the metal lid to ensure proper contact.

I then laid 3/4" recycled (becasue I care about the Earth) carpet pad over the underside of the deck lid, cutting out holes for the 3rd brake light wire, remaining seat belts, and the deck lid attachment points. I hot glued the carpet pad to the underside of the deck lid to keep it in place for the re-installation of the deck lid.

I then put everything back in the reverse order. I kept the Bose cover, child restraint mounting point covers, and center seat belt opening cover to keep the rear deck lid looking unmodified. All the rattles are gone and the rear deck lid is now solid with the addition of the "filler" between the lid and the metal underneath. I wish I had taken pictures during this process. The hole process only took a couple hours (with beer breaks). Hope that helped.
How did you take the rear deck completely off? Do you have to take the sides of the rear seat off? I was able to slightly lift it up and put some peel and seal, but not comletely. It is a huge PITA.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by maximamaybe
Do you have to take the sides of the rear seat off?
Yes. Everything near the rear deck lid must come off to access all the bolts and attachment points.

It is a huge PITA.
It was a HUGE p.i.t.a., but it was one of those weekends where I didn't have anything going on and the rattle was ruining being able to enjoy any music.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:15 PM

Yes. Everything near the rear deck lid must come off to access all the bolts and attachment points.

It was a HUGE p.i.t.a., but it was one of those weekends where I didn't have anything going on and the rattle was ruining being able to enjoy any music.
I totally understand what you mean. I either have to just blast the volume or have it very low. In the middle the rattle is louder than the bass.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:45 PM

I then laid 3/4" recycled (becasue I care about the Earth) carpet pad

thanks for the all the info..very descriptive and helpful...seems like a lot of work though..
Old 04-10-2003, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by celicafreek876

thanks for the all the info..very descriptive and helpful...seems like a lot of work though..
Glad I could help. It was a lot of work but pays off in the end.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:31 AM

How did you take the rear deck completely off? Do you have to take the sides of the rear seat off? I was able to slightly lift it up and put some peel and seal, but not comletely. It is a huge PITA.
I pulled my rear deck out yesterday(non bose). It's really pretty easy. I took it out, applied foam padding, and reinstalled. Complete start to finish time was 2 1/2 hours.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by MaxSE03

I pulled my rear deck out yesterday(non bose). It's really pretty easy. I took it out, applied foam padding, and reinstalled. Complete start to finish time was 2 1/2 hours.
Details man! That is like saying I took a good looking chick to the house. We want to know if it made a huge difference. Did you just do foam or foam and sound deadener. That is my plan this weekend.

Also did you use carpet pad or eggcrate?
Old 04-10-2003, 01:14 PM

will this get the rattles out of the spoiler?
Old 04-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Right tools for the job?

I then laid 3/4" recycled (becasue I care about the Earth) carpet pad over the underside of the deck lid, cutting out holes for the 3rd brake light wire, remaining seat belts, and the deck lid attachment points. I hot glued the carpet pad to the underside of the deck lid to keep it in place for the re-installation of the deck lid.

What are tools did you need for all of this? I'm going to get rid of the rattle this weekend but I wanna make sure I'll well prepared before I start taking things apart. Thanks
Old 04-11-2003, 04:37 AM

A couple monthes ago when I was trying to fix my rattle...I looked into totally taking out the rear deck, but had no sucess at all in doing so. I have a 3rd gen...could it be different in taking out...I'm not sure, I'll try again once the weather gets nicer...its April and here in NH we got snow on the ground...
Old 04-11-2003, 06:41 AM

Details man! That is like saying I took a good looking chick to the house. We want to know if it made a huge difference. Did you just do foam or foam and sound deadener. That is my plan this weekend.

Also did you use carpet pad or eggcrate?

It made a huge difference! The rattling was getting to me and i just couldn't take it anymore. Using Super 77 spray adhesive, i installed some 1/2" foam padding on bottom of the panel. It's about the same material as eggcrate. This stuff was given to me about a year ago, so i don't know where it was bought from. It did the trick though. I can turn the stereo all the way up and no rattles. I personally wouldn't go with anything over 1/2" or it could pose a problem trying to reinstall it. Here are 2 pics of what it looks like removed(no foam installed yet).

If anyone needs any help on how to take it out, just drop me an email!

Craig
Old 04-11-2003, 08:23 AM

Re: Right tools for the job?

Originally posted by Drice19143

What are tools did you need for all of this? I'm going to get rid of the rattle this weekend but I wanna make sure I'll well prepared before I start taking things apart. Thanks
Tools
  • basic tool set to undo various size bolts (that hold seat belts, sides of rear seat, etc.)
  • exacto knife (to cut Peel & Seal and press down on it for contact)
  • hot glue gun (to glue down carpet pad to underside of deck lid)
  • work light (I used one that plugs in w/ extension cord)

Materials
  • 1/4" carpet pad (maybe 3'x4' section)
  • 1/2 roll of Peel & Seal (or equivalent material)
  • extra glue sticks for hot glue gun