Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Only the beginning........ (Auto PC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 09:09 PM

Only the beginning........ (Auto PC)

Well, I finally found the perfect setup...

That is, the setup to make the Max into my new MobilePC..

That's right, while I was at Fry's Electronics today I found this. It's a Casetronic Mini-ITX PC Case w/power supply. Uses Micro-ITX motherboards...

http://www.directron.com/2699r.html

http://us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.c..._1735_62431820
http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...tron/2699Rback
http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...n/2699Rinside3 (optional PCI riser card (included))
http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...n/2699Rinside4

Next up, a VIA motherboard, hard drive, slot-load DVD, removable USB thumbdisk (1GB), 1GB memory, 7" LCD (motherboard has integrated s-video out), USB touchpad which I will integrate into cupholder cover, backup RF remote control pointer, and Windows XP Media Center Edition (Windows OS designed to make a PC into a home theater system).

BTW, this was only $79, the LCD will be like $130, the components are all off-the-shelf and pretty cheap.. might plug in a SoundBlaster LIVE 64-bit card (has PCI slot) to get some good surround sound action going on..

Feedback welcome.. Project to develop over next few months.. Will update with additional pics at that time..

Later,
Kevin
Old 04-19-2003, 10:11 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/foru...php?forumid=16
Old 04-19-2003, 10:36 PM

Here is the Casetronic for about $80 shipped: http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=34633

As far as LCD's go, I'd purchase this 10.5" one for $79, comes with special video card that gives the LCD power, so you don't have to run an extra wire.
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_mon_unisys105lcd.html

This LCD is discussed more here

Slap in a motherboard and parts lying around (newegg.com is great for computer related items).

Personally, I'd make the system with spare processor and motherboard, 256mb of ram, Windows 2000, 100gb hd (for all those mp3s), and a wireless usb network card, to easily transfer files (if within proximity of the house). The slot dvd drive you mentioned would be a nice touch. Get a GPS package with it, and you're good to go.

Edit: Nice link TimW, some great discussions on that board.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Uconn411
Here is the Casetronic for about $80 shipped: http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=34633
Thanks but I already picked it up locally for roughly same cost out the door.. ($86 incl. tax)

That link is awesome! Thanks so much for posting that TimW..
Old 04-19-2003, 11:34 PM

whoa

it's a great idea and you may a great time trying to power that sucker. if you're going to do it, you might want to consider the mini pc's since they have "smaller" current draw.

let me know how it turns out for you.

(you could throw in this little cool thing too...i was thinking about it for my IPAQ.)
Old 04-19-2003, 11:35 PM

Re: whoa

http://www.emtac.com/products/blueto...eet_btgps.html

whoops here the link
Old 04-19-2003, 11:38 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

On that site, you should really read up on DC-DC converters and special power supplies.. including some that can sleep/hibernate with the ignition (very convienent). Anyways, there seems to be a lot of trial and a lot of error getting stable power. Unstable power means dead mobos and LCDs, or so it seems on those forums.

Some good deals there too!
Old 04-20-2003, 01:44 AM

I was just wondering what other things you might do with a pc in your car besides play mp3's and dvds? Are there any significant advantages to having a pc instead of a dvd/mp3 multimedia sound system? The only thing I could think of is having a harddrive and not having to fumble with CDs or cd changers. But then I guess there's a trade off with the mouse and keyboard.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by NISMO808
I was just wondering what other things you might do with a pc in your car besides play mp3's and dvds? Are there any significant advantages to having a pc instead of a dvd/mp3 multimedia sound system? The only thing I could think of is having a harddrive and not having to fumble with CDs or cd changers. But then I guess there's a trade off with the mouse and keyboard.
Primarily for MP3s, MPGs, and DVDs.. also going to hook up a GPS, run Microsoft Office, and have a removable USB thumb drive so I can take stuff back and forth quickly..

Also when wireless DSL starts back up again, I plan to integrate that REAL quick..

I'm also going to integrate either a switched port or a wireless card into my car.. This will allow friends to bring their computers into my car and x-fer files or do whatever..

As for the mouse, I plan to integrate a laptop touchpad into the cup holder cover.. mate that with a mini wireless keyboard and I'm home free..

Kevin
Old 04-20-2003, 11:10 AM
mjg

they have some software that reads like infos off your ECU like real time. Like a second more advanced dashboard... I've seen afew pc's with them in mp3car.com. Those setups are insane... I saw a few cars that had 802.11b in them so they can like war drive, or park at home and copy over mp3s.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by maxcosity

Primarily for MP3s, MPGs, and DVDs.. also going to hook up a GPS, run Microsoft Office, and have a removable USB thumb drive so I can take stuff back and forth quickly..

Also when wireless DSL starts back up again, I plan to integrate that REAL quick..

I'm also going to integrate either a switched port or a wireless card into my car.. This will allow friends to bring their computers into my car and x-fer files or do whatever..

As for the mouse, I plan to integrate a laptop touchpad into the cup holder cover.. mate that with a mini wireless keyboard and I'm home free..

Kevin
Wow that sounds like a lot of work, wish u the best of luck.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:01 PM

I work at CompUSA and I may have a couple of ideas for this... Instead of a big hard drive and wireless networking capabilities, why not flash thumbdrives and/or removable hard drives to bring inside. Wireless networks do not have very good range, not to mention one would need to keep the car on or use battery just to transfer the data. I'll be back in a bit hopefully and I'll read more up on this.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:01 PM

Re: Only the beginning........ (Auto PC)

I have always been interested in this, and i have money but no time to BUILD IT, do they have plug n play kits. All i want is LCDs on the headreast showing my WINAMP PLUGINS.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:26 PM

I came across this when I was looking around a while back. This guy gets two thumbs up, especially since he went with an inverter then made his own programable timer on/off circuit.

http://www.dashpc.com/

SHIFT_woosh
Old 04-20-2003, 09:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am planning on starting this project after my exams in september.

I picked up my computer already, i decided against any MINIPC's at this point because i want a lot of power.. to even rip DIVX's and MP3's..

Here is my system
Athlon XP2400
Asus Nforce 2 nvidia mother board DELUXE (with dolby digital sound)
Dual channel 256 Meg DDR (total 512 meg)
ATI radeon 9000 card
60 gig WD harddrive w/ 8 meg cahce
Leadtec 2000XP tv tuner card/FM radio

For power supply:
I will look at DC-DC convertors and use the ATX controller

For Display, i have been hearing good things about the 7" screen TIMW recommeneded.. I will be making a fiberglass housing that will hold the screen above the vents on my 5th gen (move the clock below the kenwooed deck)..

I was goign to run LInux, but for ease, i will run Windows XP..

The computer will reside in the left side of the trunk in a custom fiberglass enclosure. I will tear apart the whole interior and carpet to run the USB lines, and VGA and other pertainent lines to the trunk cleanly..

For the HD< I will run the HD in a removable enlclosure...

I will most likely turn my subs around like STUDMAN did so that the bass fires inside the cabin, and reduce the vibrations in teh trunk..

Anyhow... stay tuned..

ED
Old 04-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Only the beginning........ (Auto PC)

Old 04-20-2003, 10:47 PM
mjg

Originally posted by MiniRX7
I am planning on starting this project after my exams in september.

I picked up my computer already, i decided against any MINIPC's at this point because i want a lot of power.. to even rip DIVX's and MP3's..

Here is my system
Athlon XP2400
Asus Nforce 2 nvidia mother board DELUXE (with dolby digital sound)
Dual channel 256 Meg DDR (total 512 meg)
ATI radeon 9000 card
60 gig WD harddrive w/ 8 meg cahce
Leadtec 2000XP tv tuner card/FM radio

For power supply:
I will look at DC-DC convertors and use the ATX controller

For Display, i have been hearing good things about the 7" screen TIMW recommeneded.. I will be making a fiberglass housing that will hold the screen above the vents on my 5th gen (move the clock below the kenwooed deck)..

I was goign to run LInux, but for ease, i will run Windows XP..

The computer will reside in the left side of the trunk in a custom fiberglass enclosure. I will tear apart the whole interior and carpet to run the USB lines, and VGA and other pertainent lines to the trunk cleanly..

For the HD< I will run the HD in a removable enlclosure...

I will most likely turn my subs around like STUDMAN did so that the bass fires inside the cabin, and reduce the vibrations in teh trunk..

Anyhow... stay tuned..

ED
don't forget your subs have huge magnets in them that will make the degauss the hard drive.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:13 AM

A few thoughts on this...

Since my particular trade is computers and my hobby is my Max (well that pleasin the ladies - kidding), I have wanted to do this from day one. Here are some of the things I want my system to do and solutions I have found...

1) Wireless network with 802.11g - you can get a peak of 54Mbps with this. For most of us, the range from where we park our cars to our computers is likely going to be within the operational spec for a wireless network providing the antenna setup on the car side is appropropriate (The range from my apartment to my car is 20-30 ft). For this to work properly it is true that the computer part of the system need constant power. This would likely be the hardest part of the setup for me.

2) Dual processor Duron system with Win2k,WinXP,or Linux - I haven't decided which system make the most sense in this setup yet. The wireless capabilities within WinXP are arguably the best, but Linux is hella stable. Regardless, using a dual system means that simultaneous ripping and playback are possible with less load on the system. The Durons are used here due to heat issues and expense (1 GHz Durons are like $30 these days with motherboards to support them in the 150-200 range)

3) In-dash mounted touchscreen LCD - pretty self explanatory, but you need to get a VGA connectable monitor over NTSC due to clarity issues with text. 6.4" or 7".

4) 1U Server "Blade" for the case. The height of this type of case would be ideal for a trunk mounted scenario with the slot-load DVD and LCD mounted in the dash (somehow, maybe a crowbar would be useful for install?). The depth might be an issue here, but I haven't dug really deep into this yet...

5) OBO-II scanner, GPS(optional), and plenty of I/O (USB 1/2, Firewire 400/800, possibly bluetooth)

6) Voice recognition...
Old 04-21-2003, 10:54 AM

Re: A few thoughts on this...

Originally posted by maxxximus

1) Wireless network with 802.11g - you can get a peak of 54Mbps with this. For most of us, the range from where we park our cars to our computers is likely going to be within the operational spec for a wireless network providing the antenna setup on the car side is appropropriate (The range from my apartment to my car is 20-30 ft). For this to work properly it is true that the computer part of the system need constant power. This would likely be the hardest part of the setup for me.

[/B]
Unless you plan on waiting a while to do this, I'd go with 802.11a. 802.11g's actual speed is around 20mbps while 11a goes around 20-40mbps. Plus, its a bit more stable. In the future though I imagine 11g will finally produce the numbers it claims. Just make sure you get hardware you can flash upgrade easily if you do go with 11g.

Also, for the constant on problem... this may be overkill but maybe using a remote starter? If you're looking into putting one in anyway, might be a good excuse.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:18 AM

This is kinda off topic isn't it?

Well, is everyone here contemplating the install in a 5th gen? LOL - sorry had to...

As far as the 802.11g, it is totally compatible with 802.11b by using the same frequency. The transfer limit I am sure is off a little for both. I was under the impression that 802.11a's max was 22Mbps...
Old 04-21-2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by maxxximus
This is kinda off topic isn't it?

Well, is everyone here contemplating the install in a 5th gen? LOL - sorry had to...

As far as the 802.11g, it is totally compatible with 802.11b by using the same frequency. The transfer limit I am sure is off a little for both. I was under the impression that 802.11a's max was 22Mbps...
I just saw this story on techtv last night

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/prod...420324,00.html
Old 04-21-2003, 12:55 PM

bobcat: verrry interesting...
Old 04-22-2003, 11:44 PM

a friend just showed me this setup. Looked pretty nice.

Click Here
Old 04-23-2003, 04:44 PM

So I am getting a little further now and I have come to realize (last night) that a pop-up LCD is not going to work -- not even close..

I say this because the space behind the upper center vents is pretty full (even if you pull the vents out of the shell)..

There is a small slot to go down behind the bose head unit, but it isn't enough room to work with and is cutting it too close..

That said, it looks like this job is going to have to be solved with fiberglass -- making this my 2nd fiberglass project..

So I will probably not get the ultra-sleeper look I was going for and will instead end up with a maxima center console which is SCREAMING to be broken into..

I dunno other than that.. I will still try to figure out how to make an LCD pop up, but it just doesn't look feasible now that I have the vents out..

OH and to get the vents out: pull up first, then out.. Pull up using the top vent openings and push them against the top of the shell - this will prevent them from breaking/flexing.

Once the front half pops up about .25", put your thumbs under and fingers on the bottom vent openings, grab, and pull firmly.. nothing will break, it is designed to just pull out, so just give it a nice hard tug and it will come out..

To get the vents OUT of the shell itself, you will need to work on the top half first.. just pull it really hard and it will separate.. then work each bottom "lock" to unhinge it and separate the two peices..

the shell sticks in by itself pretty well, but will require some additional support if you want to leave it in there w/out the vents..

Pics to come..
Kevin
Old 04-23-2003, 04:49 PM

yeah, www.directron.com has some cool things.

www.crazypc.com and www.cyberguys.com has some cool things too.

P.S. www.cyberguys.com is not a bad site (if you know what I mean). I buy alot of my computer stuff there.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:51 PM

Pics of upper vent housing (shell) and vents: