Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How to wire subs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 11:19 PM

How to wire subs

I got a dual voice coil sub and a 1 channel amp. I've read a lot of different things about wiring, but they all confuse me. Its a dual 4 ohm kicker solobaric L7 and a 600.1 kicker amp. What is the best way to wire this sub to my amp.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:19 AM

Ok for one thing the 600.1 Is Mono. :X And your best bet would be to get this thing running off of 2 Ohms.
600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
** Ive also heard that on the amp the birth certificate says 749 watts @4 ohms. Which is beter for you.
All you gotta do is buy a wiring kit for a amp. (8 or 4 guage) Run the wire to your battery, and please take time and hide it under the door panels. Dont make it "rigged". I spent hours hiding my wire. Mine goes from my battery through my tire well and through the foamy black stuff o the door and then under my door pannel. Nobody can see it. No wire poking out what so ever. I would suggest the same. Anyways take out your abck seats and run the wire to your trunk, you can ground your "ground wire" to one of the bolts on the seats. And hook up your RCA and Remote wire To your headunit. Lead it back to your trunk too. I'd suggest using tie wraps under your dash and then going under the door pannels again. Now hook everything up acordingly to your amp. Read your amp manuel to make sure the ohms are ok. And you should be A ok. If you need help removing your dash, check arround on the web, I found a diagram with photos, and i can now have my dash apart is literally a minute. I hope this helps you get some kind of idea.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:22 AM
Loved by MrGone longtime

Wiring it 2 ohms is the way to go.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:45 AM
rilla dope

1 load at lower impedance is often the best way to get max power from an amp, raises distortion, but well worth the extra beefiness. Just remember, the difference between 300 watts and 600 watts isn't double, it's smaller than you think. There will be added tightness for sure, but not double loudness
Old 05-21-2003, 10:18 PM

I guess I should have been more accurate, I mean how do you wire the sub to the amp. There are 2 voice coils with a positive and negative on each coil. How would I wire this to my amp which only has one channel. The manual stated 2 different methods of wiring (parallel and series), it just confused me. Do I wire the coils together in some way, and then wire it to the amp or what? So any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:01 PM
CFC

Originally posted by foodog226
I guess I should have been more accurate, I mean how do you wire the sub to the amp. There are 2 voice coils with a positive and negative on each coil. How would I wire this to my amp which only has one channel. The manual stated 2 different methods of wiring (parallel and series), it just confused me. Do I wire the coils together in some way, and then wire it to the amp or what? So any help would be appreciated.
You want to hook them up in parallel to drop the load to 2ohms (assuming your amp is 2ohm stable). You do this by hooking up the two positives from the coils together, and the two negatives. Then you send those to your amps + and - .
This site might help you picture it a little better.
Hope that helps.

Carl