Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What installation parts are needed for stereo replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 06:44 PM

What installation parts are needed for stereo replacement?

Hi -

Sorry for the n00b question, but I am new to this forum, and new to the Maxima. I just picked up a nice 1995 GLE to replace my stolen car, and I am out to upgrade the Bose stereo to a Pioneer MP3 head unit. I checked out the faqs, but they didn't answer this specific question...

The problem is that I know which head unit and speakers I want, but I don't know how much installation hardware is needed. Can I use the stock brackets and just supply a wiring harness and pocket, or do I need to buy a kit that has a new bracket? I'm hoping it's the former, not the latter.

Thanks for any assistance!
RDaneel
Old 09-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rdaneel
Hi -

Sorry for the n00b question, but I am new to this forum, and new to the Maxima. I just picked up a nice 1995 GLE to replace my stolen car, and I am out to upgrade the Bose stereo to a Pioneer MP3 head unit. I checked out the faqs, but they didn't answer this specific question...

The problem is that I know which head unit and speakers I want, but I don't know how much installation hardware is needed. Can I use the stock brackets and just supply a wiring harness and pocket, or do I need to buy a kit that has a new bracket? I'm hoping it's the former, not the latter.

Thanks for any assistance!
RDaneel

You will need a phillips screwdriver, a panel removal tool, crimper with the crimpie thingies. You should not need a bracket for the Pioneer head unit, but if you have a double din Bose unit you will need to buy a kit to put a pocket below the head unit. I highly recommend a wiring harness, they are usually about $15 dollars and it plugs right in to factory wiring. You will also need an antena adapter, probaly about the same as the harness in price. For the speaker as long as your get 6 3/4 you should be fine, they used to be called 6 1/2S. If you have not bought anything yet you could buy from www.Crutchfield.com and they will suppy the kit and harness for free, as well as the instructions(I think they call them master sheets) on how to take your dash, doors, and rear panel apart. It would still be worth it to buy the harness and kit from them if you already have your radio, because they will suppy you with the master sheets. Let me know if you have any other ?s.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:38 PM

Wow, Blackmax, thanks for the detailed reply.

I think I am still unclear on one or two things, though - sorry for my inexperience!

I guess I'll need the head unit, 4 speakers, antenna adapter ($8), wiring harness ($X), and pocket kit. For the pocket, do I need just the plastic pocket, or a whole new metal mounting frame for the stereo and pocket?

Is this it? Autotoys pocket kit. It's only $9, and looks like it's what I need.

Also, the system is listed as a 6 speaker system. Can I replace it with two pair of 3-way pioneer speakers, or so I have to get a component set with seperate XOs and tweeters?

I've replaced the stereo and speakers on my old Camry, but this looks much more complicated. Should be fun, though!

Thanks again,

RDaneel

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
You will need a phillips screwdriver, a panel removal tool, crimper with the crimpie thingies. You should not need a bracket for the Pioneer head unit, but if you have a double din Bose unit you will need to buy a kit to put a pocket below the head unit. I highly recommend a wiring harness, they are usually about $15 dollars and it plugs right in to factory wiring. You will also need an antena adapter, probaly about the same as the harness in price. For the speaker as long as your get 6 3/4 you should be fine, they used to be called 6 1/2S. If you have not bought anything yet you could buy from www.Crutchfield.com and they will suppy the kit and harness for free, as well as the instructions(I think they call them master sheets) on how to take your dash, doors, and rear panel apart. It would still be worth it to buy the harness and kit from them if you already have your radio, because they will suppy you with the master sheets. Let me know if you have any other ?s.