Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Car Video Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:51 AM

Car Video Question

Ok, I plan on putting some TV screens in my Maxima but I had a few question. First out how do you hardwire a DVD player, VCR, or a PS2 to the carso you don't have to use the cigarette lighter? If I decide to use TVs on the headrests as well as the dash, how do I connect them together? If I put the video sources in the trunk will the remote work though the car (if i'm in the drivers seat will the remote work if the DVD player is in the trunk?) Finally, what do I do about A/V wires, are you able to buy 10'+ so I can run wires from the trunk to the dash? Any help will be helpful. Thanks guys.

-Kevin
Old 10-12-2003, 02:59 PM

1. you cut the plug there will be a + side and a - side. get 12v power from the car best place the cig lighter.
2.if all the t.v's are the same you'll have only one brain. plug it in there. if not just run the wires from the headrest to the brain of the indash. or buy a video selector and plug it in there.
3. it will if you run a "eye" from the dvd player up to the front this way you can point at that as appose to trying to point in the trunk.
4. yes there are av wires long enough to run from the trunk to the dash.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

to hardwire the dvd player, ( Im assuming your not using a mobile one? ) or a ps2 get a power inverter off of ebay or something, then just clip the cig. plug off and connect the positive wire to the battery (you can run an inline fuse to be on the safe side if you want but most inverters have a fuse built in, just use the same size as the inverter and put the fuse no more than a foot from the battery)

then run a ground and you can plug you PS2 or whatever your using into it. One thing Ive noticed though is that you have to turn the power switch on the power inverter on everytime it is shut off, so that means going to the trunk and flipping the switch or you can move the switch to somewhere else in the car, just make sure you make your connections good (solder and heat shrink)

now for connecting mutiple TV's. buy a video amp off of ebay (I think there is a good clarion one on there right now) then run the power for that off the battery (Im not sure if it has a remote turn on, if not but a switch and put a switch on the positive line before the video amp)

then you plug your RCA with the video signal into the input side then just run RCA's from the outputs to your screens

Remote: I know my mobile dvd player has a wired IR eye for the remote that you can mount it up front and that just plugs into the dvd player so you can use the remote in the front.

Wires: yes you can buy longer lengths of wires just try to keep the distance down but you should be alright if you get the video amp, and make sure you keep the video and audio signal wires as far away from the power wires as possible.

I think thats it