Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

It's so hard deciding which speakers to get!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 02:55 PM

It's so hard deciding which speakers to get!!!

I've been searching around trying to do some research on what component speakers would be good for the front of my car. I came to the conclusion that Focals are very high quality speakers. But I guess you get what you pay for, because they are damn expensive. I've also looked up Polk Momos, and the Infinity Perfect series.

Now, I found Focal 165V2 Polyglass series components on Ebay for around 210 + shipping. I wanted to know if they will surpass the quality of the Infinity Perfect 6.1 components which are around the same price, and they handle higher wattage.

So are the Focals(165V2) worth it over the Infinities(Perfect 6.1)?

I listen to a lot of rock and Metal from classic stuff like Led Zeppelin to heavier stuff like Metallica and System of a Down and I like to play my music loud and heavy!

I know nothing about car audio, but I really love music and would like to have a nice sounding system. So any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaguax
I've been searching around trying to do some research on what component speakers would be good for the front of my car. I came to the conclusion that Focals are very high quality speakers. But I guess you get what you pay for, because they are damn expensive. I've also looked up Polk Momos, and the Infinity Perfect series.

Now, I found Focal 165V2 Polyglass series components on Ebay for around 210 + shipping. I wanted to know if they will surpass the quality of the Infinity Perfect 6.1 components which are around the same price, and they handle higher wattage.

So are the Focals(165V2) worth it over the Infinities(Perfect 6.1)?

I listen to a lot of rock and Metal from classic stuff like Led Zeppelin to heavier stuff like Metallica and System of a Down and I like to play my music loud and heavy!

I know nothing about car audio, but I really love music and would like to have a nice sounding system. So any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
My first bit of advise for you is to find a shop that you can listen to the speakers, I don't know of any shops near you that would carry both brands, but you should listen to them for yourself. Now I have some questions for you, where do you plan on mounting the midbass drivers? The Kappa Perfects are killer speakers but the mids are very deep, that's how we get a lot of X-max and great control with the motor, so you might want to check mounting depth. What type of amp are you looking to power the components with? That also important. Another set of components you might want to look at, the JBL GTI608's (6.5"), that what I have in my max, they ROCK!! So sweet and smooth sounding, they take a ton of power, but do have a break in period. Also for a few bucks less are the new JBL Power Series components, they have a higher senitivity rating which means they will be louder with less power. Similar tweeter as the GTI, titianium dome which is great for metal and rock (still smooth and no listern fatuge) and the cone is very stif, its a HCL, Honey Comb Laminate materal used in the areospace industry. Check them out,
http://jbl.com/car/products/product_...er=POS&cat=COS
Most importantly, go and listen to the speakers yourself, only you know what you like the sound of, and bring a favorite CD with you to use on the speakers. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxstilln
My first bit of advise for you is to find a shop that you can listen to the speakers, I don't know of any shops near you that would carry both brands, but you should listen to them for yourself. Now I have some questions for you, where do you plan on mounting the midbass drivers? The Kappa Perfects are killer speakers but the mids are very deep, that's how we get a lot of X-max and great control with the motor, so you might want to check mounting depth. What type of amp are you looking to power the components with? That also important. Another set of components you might want to look at, the JBL GTI608's (6.5"), that what I have in my max, they ROCK!! So sweet and smooth sounding, they take a ton of power, but do have a break in period. Also for a few bucks less are the new JBL Power Series components, they have a higher senitivity rating which means they will be louder with less power. Similar tweeter as the GTI, titianium dome which is great for metal and rock (still smooth and no listern fatuge) and the cone is very stif, its a HCL, Honey Comb Laminate materal used in the areospace industry. Check them out,
http://jbl.com/car/products/product_...er=POS&cat=COS
Most importantly, go and listen to the speakers yourself, only you know what you like the sound of, and bring a favorite CD with you to use on the speakers. Good luck!
I agree, first and foremost, go listen to the speakers in person. It's difficult for someone to recommend speakers to another person when people may have vastly different tastes. So, go find a car stereo shop. Most shops these days have listening rooms where you can listen to numerous combinations of hu, speakers, amps, subs...even circuit city has listening rooms now. It won't sound exactly the same as in your car since since the dimensions & imaging will differ, but you'll get the idea. Also, ask the sales people what they would recommend. They're usually pretty helpful in finding great speakers for you.

Btw, I've used Infinity Kappas before, and I've always liked the Kappas. Always thought Infinity made great car speakers.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The focal speakers sound much better than the infinitys, anybody who has heard both would agree.

One problem with buying them off ebay would be the you wouldnt get the warranty. Focal tweeters are pretty sensiotive to power and distortion, and if one blows, you will be looking at $50 a piece to replace them.

I know where you could get a set of those components for $300, with warranty.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:54 AM
jmax

The focals may have sounded better because the shop that installed them did a better job of placing them optimally on the wall.

Musical tastes will make a difference as will your individual ears. It's best to listen to many different speakers. But the install will make a huge difference in how they sound in car. Awesome sound board speakers may sound like crud in the car. Opposite is also true.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:09 AM

I have 165V2 Polyglass Focal Component system.. They rock! Better than the 6.1's!! I even listened to them @ the local audi shop.. And they sound just as good as at the shop in my car! http://95maxima.cjb.net