Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

can't decide on which Pioneer to buy... ebay first

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:00 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

can't decide on which Pioneer to buy... ebay first

wassup guys

I am lookin at ebay for the headunits. What do you guys think of buying ebay decks? They claim they are brand new and I get the factory warranty which is 1-year.

Should I get the DEH-P5500MP for ~$180 shipped or the DEH-7500MP for ~$250?? So I'm uncertain whether I should just spend the $70 more on the headunit...

Please give me any feedback on the headunits or buying on ebay. I am also talking to Don (Pearl96Max) on prices and I'd be alot more comfortable buying from him knowing it is top quality. I dunno... my expenses are tight and I gotta see what I can do. I really appreciate it guys!

7500:

5500:
Old 11-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Maxima95Tuner

Mfriend Joe has the 7500 in his car, and I have the 5500 in mine. Really, the only difference between the two is the little graphics on the front. You're paying the extra 70 for little animations and such. I dont think it's worth it. The first one has a little bit more tunability, but if you're gonna stick with the bose system like you already have, you're fine with the second one.

Chris

Old 11-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxima95Tuner
Mfriend Joe has the 7500 in his car, and I have the 5500 in mine. Really, the only difference between the two is the little graphics on the front. You're paying the extra 70 for little animations and such. I dont think it's worth it. The first one has a little bit more tunability, but if you're gonna stick with the bose system like you already have, you're fine with the second one.

Chris
I have the 5500 and love it. I have XM hooked up to it and it rocks! I also had to make the choice you did and decided the videos were pointless to me.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by WaarrEagle
I have the 5500 and love it. I have XM hooked up to it and it rocks! I also had to make the choice you did and decided the videos were pointless to me.
I also have a 5500, just put it in 2 weeks ago. Same decision, the graphics on the 7500 looked like they would get old real quick! So far I really like my 5500. I got mine at sounddomain.com, they were pretty good, i got the Scosche Bose adapter from them also ($20) and it works great. Etronics.com sells the deck real cheap but don't include the fit kit and harness like sounddomain. Let me know if you want anymore info, good luck!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:27 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by nhokt
I also have a 5500, just put it in 2 weeks ago. Same decision, the graphics on the 7500 looked like they would get old real quick! So far I really like my 5500. I got mine at sounddomain.com, they were pretty good, i got the Scosche Bose adapter from them also ($20) and it works great. Etronics.com sells the deck real cheap but don't include the fit kit and harness like sounddomain. Let me know if you want anymore info, good luck!
wow, looks like you guys have swayed me to the 5500!

How much was it total from sounddomain?? Also, if I do end up getting the deck on ebay or wherever, what else do you suggest getting? I always thought the harness was included, but it looks like it isn't... which is more reason for me to get the cheaper deck in order to get all the extra stuff. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2003, 05:50 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

1 more thing nhokt

which scoch bose wiring harness did you get?? Scosche NN03?? (only one for Nissan 94+, but doesn't specifiy if it was for bose or not).
Old 11-13-2003, 07:31 AM
I need a truck

I bought my original system off of Ebay and everything was BNIB (at least from what I could tell). Then my new system was pruchased from Don. I'd recommend buying from Don first.

Brand new ebay stuff tends to have fallen off the back of the truck, if you know what I mean
Old 11-13-2003, 08:08 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by Conrad283
I bought my original system off of Ebay and everything was BNIB (at least from what I could tell). Then my new system was pruchased from Don. I'd recommend buying from Don first.

Brand new ebay stuff tends to have fallen off the back of the truck, if you know what I mean
Thanks. Yeah, before I do anything, I'll work him with him (as i am now).
Old 11-13-2003, 08:36 AM
I need a truck

He always gets on me for getting my stuff from ebay, the install of the rockford fostgate amp was especially fun.

If you do decide to take the ebay route may I suggest getting what you can from user id scala1. I got most of my stuff from them and they have over 46,000 feedbacks.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
1 more thing nhokt

which scoch bose wiring harness did you get?? Scosche NN03?? (only one for Nissan 94+, but doesn't specifiy if it was for bose or not).
Here is what I got:

Pioneer DEH-P5500MP MP3 Player 1 ($190)
Scosche FAI-3A OEM Interface Adapter 1 ($20)
Scosche NDAB Antenna Adapter 1 ($5?)
Scosche NN03 Car Stereo Wiring Harness 1 (Free with HU)
Scosche NN1494 Car Stereo Installation Kit 1 (Free with HU)
SoundDomain.com Connector Kit Head Unit Accessory (free kit with zip ties etc...)

This is everything I needed to install the HU in my 2000 Max GLE with BOSE, the total to my door was $226.80.

Not bad considering they actually have some tech support and they take returns. You can do a little better on some prices but all the shipping charges add up. Remember if you have BOSE you need the special interface for the factory BOSE amps.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:50 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by nhokt
Here is what I got:

Pioneer DEH-P5500MP MP3 Player 1 ($190)
Scosche FAI-3A OEM Interface Adapter 1 ($20)
Scosche NDAB Antenna Adapter 1 ($5?)
Scosche NN03 Car Stereo Wiring Harness 1 (Free with HU)
Scosche NN1494 Car Stereo Installation Kit 1 (Free with HU)
SoundDomain.com Connector Kit Head Unit Accessory (free kit with zip ties etc...)

This is everything I needed to install the HU in my 2000 Max GLE with BOSE, the total to my door was $226.80.

Not bad considering they actually have some tech support and they take returns. You can do a little better on some prices but all the shipping charges add up. Remember if you have BOSE you need the special interface for the factory BOSE amps.
thanks alot for your help. I was so close with buying it from sounddomain because I got them to price match 105% to ecoustic.com 's price, but Don (Pearl96Max) is offering the Premier version of it and it is a bit more... but with the extra 1 year in warranty, brand-new from factory, and Premier version it sounds good.

Thanks alot for your help guys.

I was lookin at the Pioneer website and was comparing the DEH-P5500MP and the DEH-P550MP (premier) and found that premier has less options? What's the real difference between premier and non-premier?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:59 AM

thanks alot for your help. I was so close with buying it from sounddomain because I got them to price match 105% to ecoustic.com 's price, but Don (Pearl96Max) is offering the Premier version of it and it is a bit more... but with the extra 1 year in warranty, brand-new from factory, and Premier version it sounds good.

Thanks alot for your help guys.

I was lookin at the Pioneer website and was comparing the DEH-P5500MP and the DEH-P550MP (premier) and found that premier has less options? What's the real difference between premier and non-premier?

Good question, I always wondered that myself. I always thought it was the same stuff with a different name, I didn't realize that there are differences in the features.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Maxima95Tuner

My guess is that the premier probably has a few more watss being pushed to each speaker, and to the actual deck itself. It's really just going to sound maybe a tiny bit better.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Conrad283
He always gets on me for getting my stuff from ebay, the install of the rockford fostgate amp was especially fun.

If you do decide to take the ebay route may I suggest getting what you can from user id scala1. I got most of my stuff from them and they have over 46,000 feedbacks.
No one's perfect... scala1 shipped me a set of components with a dead crossover then never returned repeated phone calls to their "customer service" line. Plus since I waited too long to install it (30 days or whatever it says) it would have been $30 flat fee to return it. I just got new crossovers and learned how to install them myself, I wasn't going to pay again. I'd sure never order from them again though.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:14 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

I ended up buying the Premier DEH-P550MP from Don.

Now i must wait........

while I'm waiting, even with the wiring harness, there is cutting/splicing still involved?
Old 11-14-2003, 02:26 PM

I ended up buying the Premier DEH-P550MP from Don.

Now i must wait........

while I'm waiting, even with the wiring harness, there is cutting/splicing still involved?

Good choice, Don is a good guy I've talked to him a couple of times about an install.

Also, usually on audio lines like premier and excelon (kenwood) You have more control over sound (ie: crossovers, frequency, hertZ) and you get more pre amp voltage for running amps.