Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

BOSE Question. Can the BOSE Speakers Be Used With Another Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 10:03 AM

I would like to buy and then install a CD/DVD/MP3 Player, and will not have the money for speakers afterwards.

Can i rewire the speakers to work?

If so, how, and will i need any adapters?

Please let me know. I would love nothing more than to be able to install a new head unit, throw in a LCD and hook up a PC to it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:34 PM

From what I understand you can not. The Bose speakers are 1 ohm speakers so they will not run off the power of the headunit. There are adapters that you can purchase to run the bose speakers and amps off of the hu, I beleive they run about $50.

I will be splicing RCA cables into the bose leads and connecting them to the preouts on the deck. If my freakin deck every comes in.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:26 PM

GJohnson - i'm going to be attempting the same thing tomorrow.. however, when i stripped a RCA wire up, i noticed the center wire which i've been told is positive, is very thin compared to the outer wire.. Is this going to affect the sound?
Old 11-14-2003, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyo319
GJohnson - i'm going to be attempting the same thing tomorrow.. however, when i stripped a RCA wire up, i noticed the center wire which i've been told is positive, is very thin compared to the outer wire.. Is this going to affect the sound?

I don't believe so, but I haven't tried yet. I've been waiting for my deck to come in for the past 6 weeks. I would give Don (Pearlmax96) a call or shoot him a email. He's the one to ask.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:56 PM

i just hooked them up to my HU and have been runing for the past 3 months just fine.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by EriCCirE
i just hooked them up to my HU and have been runing for the past 3 months just fine.

What do you mean, you just hooked them up to your headunit? They way I described above, using rcas and preouts? Do you have a bose system???
Old 11-15-2003, 10:11 PM

Yes, I had the bose system in my car. When I first installed the HU I used the regular (amplified) outs and also used the bose amps. It was hella loud, but volume 1 was too loud if you just wanted to casually listen. There was also a hiss coming from the speakers. So a couples months ago, I kept the wiring on the deck the same, all I did was bypass the bose amp. So right now, they are running from the Amplified HU to the bose speakers and working GREAT!
Old 11-16-2003, 10:59 AM

This is not good EriCCirE, the bose speakers are 1 ohm speakers and cannot operate off of the HU. They will run temporarely, but will over heat and fry your new HU.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:13 AM

found some Head Units....

I went to crutchfield.com to look around this weekend and get some audio and video ideas going in my head, and guess what i found out. You can buy Head Units that are set up for the direct replacement of our head units. Basically plug and play.

You can mod your other head units to work, but you would need adapters. These head units dont. everything from CD - Tape - to DVD and MP3.

just go and try it out. click on the link "what will fit in my car" to have the site do all the work.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:15 AM
Pizda Boy

i've been running a pioneer HU on my bose speakers for almost a year....like the other dude said... volume 1 is hella loud but who cares, i always pump it anyway....my HU goes up to volume 40 but i only go up to 10 because that's as loud as it can get without the sound being all distorted and crappy... i'm thinking of bypassing the amps too but i'm scared that something will happen....
but if you just put it in without anything, it'll work but will be loud even at volume 1.
Sam