Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Orion Components or Soundstream w/silk tweets?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 06:44 PM

Orion Components or Soundstream w/silk tweets?...

I am looking for good SQL, not SPL. I plan on initially using the components with the stock Bose, and both the 6.5" Orion Components & Soundstream w/silk tweets are 3-Ohm rated.

I plan on adding a 5-channel amp in the future, possibly Soundstream, or Hifonics. Has anyone heard either set of speakers? Which of the two sound better? (not too harsh highs, clean midbass) I will also use either Orion or Soundstream coaxials in the rear.

Thanks,
G
Old 11-29-2003, 05:44 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I sell both, but wouldnt particularly use either if I was looking for "good" sq. I also would suggest getting an amp prior to installing them. Your car as well as your ears will thank you for it. The choice of a Soundstream amp is fine, but take out the HiFonics option. You will not get SQ from them.

--Don
Old 11-29-2003, 06:46 PM

Thanks Don. I was just looking for some "decent" SQ... basically my focus is SQ not SPL. Not for competition, just for my own enjoyment. Are the Orions & Soundstreams equally matched, as far as you can tell? I know the SS have silk dome tweeters, and the Orions Titanium. Would you say that they sound "better" than Infinity Kappas?

I guess I will get the Soundstream amp, instead of the HiFonics.

I will PM you with some prices. Perhaps you can beat them

Thanks again.
G
Old 11-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Jedi Knight

G,

What up son!!!, I agree with Don, STAY AWAY from HIFONICS...for an amp. I am currently running an XTANT amp and love it...it is a 3 channel model. I am running my "homemade" comps off it. By home made I mean running Diamond Audio crossovers with Vifa 5.25 mids and boston pro series tweets. The tweets are a tad bright as I believe they were made more for metal type music, but I'll live with them for now. I would recommend that you listen to a set of MB Quarts, diamond audios, or something of that caliber, for SQ!

good luck with it all man!...long time to chat..
Old 11-30-2003, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by nupe500
G,

What up son!!!, I agree with Don, STAY AWAY from HIFONICS...for an amp. I am currently running an XTANT amp and love it...it is a 3 channel model. I am running my "homemade" comps off it. By home made I mean running Diamond Audio crossovers with Vifa 5.25 mids and boston pro series tweets. The tweets are a tad bright as I believe they were made more for metal type music, but I'll live with them for now. I would recommend that you listen to a set of MB Quarts, diamond audios, or something of that caliber, for SQ!

good luck with it all man!...long time to chat..
Ola! Was up bro? Yeah long time no hear! Your 4gen is looking good, man. I'll have to check out your ride & audio during the next meet. Let me know the next time we decide to "hang" in the area. Haha, you got the Heavy Metal tweets, when you should have gotten the Tupac revision. "Is there a heaven for a G?" Nice talking to you man! Keep in touch...

Later,
G