Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alarms...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alarms...

I want to get an alarm for my 98 Max 5spd. The features im looking for is 2-way security, remote start and front windows roll up and down. The remote start is very important but it would be great to have the car heated up when leaving work. It is illegal to to get the remote start insalled on manual so I cannot get it done at a certified dealer. If I get the Viper 791XV installed at a certified dealer and then take it somwhere else to get the remote start put in, will I lose my warranty? Will I regret not having a warranty on the alarm? If not then I can just buy the alarm for cheap and get it installed with the remote start. If I need the warranty I guess Ill go with the Viper 690XV. A friend suggested Autopage alarms to me, they are cheaper then the Vipers but how is the quality? What places should I go to get the alarm installed? I went to Circuity City and it is about $460 for the Viper 791XV installed, seems cheap to me compared to prices I have seen in other posts. Any input would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:46 AM

Talk to Don(Pearl96Max) He's up in NJ. Putting a remote start on a 5spd is a no no, if it's ment for automatics. I'm not sure if they still make remote starts for 5spd. I doubt if Don or most shops will install remote starts on 5spds, it's a big liability issue for the one time you park it in gear. As for alarms, I'd reccomend getting the Viper 690xv.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:07 PM

Figured I would add on rather than start new....

There are a few shops around here that do 5spds, must be new this year though because last year when I had one I tried to find a shop that would do it with no luck.... Astrostart and Viper both have 5spd options I believe... (not positive on Viper).

I am sorta looking at the same thing.... want autostart / alarm but don't need window up / down but would like trunk release... Anyone have any recommendations (automatic transmission).

Nothing excessive on the alarm side, would like a trunk sensor and something I could have around my deck. 2way would be nice, but not necessary.

Just don't want to break the bank
Old 12-14-2003, 10:01 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Jake9190
Figured I would add on rather than start new....

There are a few shops around here that do 5spds, must be new this year though because last year when I had one I tried to find a shop that would do it with no luck.... Astrostart and Viper both have 5spd options I believe... (not positive on Viper).

I am sorta looking at the same thing.... want autostart / alarm but don't need window up / down but would like trunk release... Anyone have any recommendations (automatic transmission).

Nothing excessive on the alarm side, would like a trunk sensor and something I could have around my deck. 2way would be nice, but not necessary.

Just don't want to break the bank

NOTHING in the Viper/DEI line is intended or allowed for manual trans.

--Don
Old 12-15-2003, 01:44 PM

Today I went to someone with our cars, 4 of us to see how much we can get our alarms done for and if we can get a deal. The place does not have Viper alarms. He gave me a price of $350 installed for an Autopage 850 LCD without remote start. He also has Prestige alarms. Anyone have Prestige or Autopage? If so, how is it? I am leaning more toward a Viper 690XV but it is going to cost me more.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by JeEvE
Today I went to someone with our cars, 4 of us to see how much we can get our alarms done for and if we can get a deal. The place does not have Viper alarms. He gave me a price of $350 installed for an Autopage 850 LCD without remote start. He also has Prestige alarms. Anyone have Prestige or Autopage? If so, how is it? I am leaning more toward a Viper 690XV but it is going to cost me more.

Like I told you in PMs doing a price for all four of the cars is not a problem. As for the 690 being more expensive than an autopage....well you do get what you pay for. With that aside, doing all of the cars you had previously mentioned, the 690 would Not be more expensive than the AP.

--Don
Old 12-16-2003, 01:38 PM

The kid with the 99 Contour doesnt want anything, so now its down to 3 people. The one with the 99 Grand Am doesnt really want to go on a long trip to get the alarm installed because if he has any problems he would have to come a long way down to you again. Im not sure whats going on right now with my friends but Im im set on getting a Viper 690XV.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by JeEvE
The kid with the 99 Contour doesnt want anything, so now its down to 3 people. The one with the 99 Grand Am doesnt really want to go on a long trip to get the alarm installed because if he has any problems he would have to come a long way down to you again. Im not sure whats going on right now with my friends but Im im set on getting a Viper 690XV.

If you want to email/pm me we can figure something out. As far as your friends having a problem...Not likely BUT they do not need to come back here IF there is one. They can go to ANY Authorized Viper dealer in the country.

--Don
Old 12-16-2003, 07:56 PM

Thanks Don for all your help, I sent you an email.