Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Got new speakers... some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 11:40 PM

Got new speakers... some questions

Hey guys. I just bought some new speakers on ebay. 6.5" Focal 165v Polyglass components for $189. I'm gonna use them as my front speakers. I've been reading that the backs aren't so important, but I'm thinking of getting Infinity Kappa 63.5i's. They match the wattage of the Focals(75 watt) and I hear they are a good brand. And according to crutchfield.com they are a direct fit. You think those are good to pair with the Focals?

My amplifier is an Eclipse 32440 85x4 watt(@4 ohm), awaiting installation after I get my speakers and wiring. My head unit, prepare for dissapointment, is a Sony. I never knew about the bad reputation of Sonys till I started reading these forums. But I'm stuck with it for now, and I think it sounds decent for having 4 crappy speakers in the car and no amp. Sounds basically the same as my moms new Pioneer(without amps and stock speakers). Well anyway the model is a CDX-M850MP, it sure impresses in terms of looks, but we'll see about sound quality soon enough. When I get some money in the future I'll upgrade to something better but for now like I said I am stuck with it.

Ok so my real question in addition to the first is what supplies do I need to wire all this stuff up(the amps, the focal components, and the rear infinities(which I'm still deciding on). I'm guessing I need one of those amp wiring kits, but which one? What other supplies will I need?

And lastly, is this a hard installation to do? You think I could do it myself or am I better off bringing it to an audio installation shop? I really wanna attempt it myself though if it's not too hard. I installed my head unit, and cheap *** speakers(front and back) on my own. I just need some advice seeing as I never replaced the wiring in my car or hooked up an amplifier.

Well I hope someone here can help, thanks a lot for any advice. I appreciate it And please don't make fun of my sony
Old 12-21-2003, 03:27 AM

About sony headunit. I had one, despite all the bad stuff people say about it, I don't see it MUCH different from my new Pioneer (750 one) hu, except Pioneer has much more features, which sometimes get me confused, but that's just my opinion (ok, i'm ready to hear how wrong I am and how bad my hearing is if I can't tell the difference)

Wiring, yeah, get a wiring kit, I would say 12 gauge wire for speakers and 4 gauge for power (you're gonna add another amp for sub, right?) with a power distribution block running 8 gauge to amps. If the amp kit does include two pairs of RCA cables, I would buy a second pair (since you're using all four channels). You could use y-spreader instead if you'd like. I don't think there's anything HARD in installing it, you should be able to install everything yourself. Run all power cables on one side of the car, all speaker cables on the other. Don't forget to ground everything.

The hardest part in my install was running a power cable from the battery. It's still not done properly, but I don't know how it is in your car. Oh, one more thing, FUSE the thing as close to the battery as possible (what's the correct length again?)

So that's a mess I could come up with. Please correct me if/where I'm wrong. I don't want anyone mess up their stuff cuz of me.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:56 AM

It shouldn't be too hard of an installation, just time consuming to run the wires and take stuff apart. I haven't done door speakers before but i have done extensive rear speaker installations (i have 6x9's), sub installs, and a new deck. They really arn't that hard just make sure you take your time and you will have no problem. Sounds like a nice set up
Old 12-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Intereting... I think you will like that set up a lot. As far as the installation goes, I would have no clue, that's why I paid the shop to do it. I hope you like your stuff loud?