Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

component 6.5's in the front

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

component 6.5's in the front

hey guys
i've got a 94 gxe w/o the bose sytem in it, lucky me. the system that i have in mine is described by the manual as the "active speaker" system (as do the grills say in the rear) and i wanted to know if these speakers are really "active" (where's the amp?).
i don't like the idea of having 4x6's anywhere in my car and i don't like the idea of replacing them for 100 bucks when i could get the cdt cl-61a components for the price that they are going for now($150, can't go wrong).

i was poking around last night seeing if there was anything that i could discover that i didn't already know about my max so i decided to take my door panel off and see what the stock 4x6 speakers were looking like (may i add that it was a pleasure doing this, the max is so easy to work with). i've decided that these are not for me, even though they sound descent with the stock h/u.

so my question...is there a new panel that can be installed to accomidate 6.5's rather than 4x6's while still being good to the speaker and not exposing it to the elements (the assembly would be practically outside if it wasn't for the door between the two).

i was reading a thread earlier about the best 6.5's and someone mentioned something about James92SE and the pods tha can be bought from him and i was wondering if this is the same situation that i am in? were they talking about the same thing as me?

i would go the route of kickpanels, but i'm not looking to fiberglass. also, is there anyone that disagrees and thinks that the 6.5's are a bad idea in this position? the bracket for the 4x6 is pretty elaborate and i was very impressed with it's quality. keep in mind that i work at a hardware store and can get anything associated with hardware, within reason, at cost.

i think that it would be possible to fabricate something myself and stick it in the position, but i would be worried about the speaker being damaged from the elements unless i used some of those rubber baffles.
so this is another idea.

and no, i won't be running the comp's off of the h/u, the line-up for the next few weeks is as such... alpine cda-9815, cdt cl-61a, Resonant Engineering SE15 w/ custom box, and whatever amps i decide to go with along the road for all of the components involved, looking at hifonics, alpine, jl etc...

thanks in advance for your replies, you guys are awesome and i apologize for the thread being so long.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:19 AM
Im izz sexay

James92SE sale 6.5 inch door pods that fits very well into the door panel using the stock bolt patterns. I am to buy some of them when ever I get $32 to pay for them but then again it's easy to make them but I don't know how. Check out this page for info on how to make them yourself. He also has info on hooking the speakers up to stock wiring.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by turdlett
James92SE sale 6.5 inch door pods that fits very well into the door panel using the stock bolt patterns. I am to buy some of them when ever I get $32 to pay for them but then again it's easy to make them but I don't know how. Check out this page for info on how to make them yourself. He also has info on hooking the speakers up to stock wiring.
thanks bud. anyone else?

i can make them out of plywood fairly easily i would think. i've got a table saw and reject paint and all the supplies.. i like the look of the pods that the second guy did but i was wondering if someone had some plastic ones of some kind. thanks