Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

wiring neons

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 02:55 PM

wiring neons

i have installed under dash and under seat neons. i cut the plugs off each tube. now i have 4 power and 4 ground wires. how could i connect theses to one switch. im frunning a fused line from the bat. should i just twist all 4 wires together and make it one or is there a better way?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:37 PM

solder all connectons after twisting them, but yeah...twist all 5 wires (your neon wires and another lead wire) together, solder them together, and use heat-shrink tubing and a butane lighter(CAREFULLY) to cover the connection..I don't care what anyone says, solder connections in wires, if done properly, will work better and last longer than crimp connections..you can also find an ignition controlled fuse in your fuse box to tie into instead (be sure its rated high enough and on some circuit that doesn't use a tremendous ammount of current..cig. lighter fuse would probably work, though you may have to bump it up 1 fuse size..use those blade type fuse taps on the accessory side of the fuse..if you do all this, you won't have to turn on a separate switch for your lights to come on..they'll come on whenever you have the ignition on..or, if you only want them on when its dark, you can wire them into the parking lights somehow (I could figure it out if I looked at it, but it'll be awhile before I'm concerned with wiring neons inside the car, so I really can't explain how) so that they only come on when you have the parking lights/headlights on..
Old 01-17-2004, 09:17 AM

You should make a switch in your ash tray to turn the on/off. That is what I plan on doing, and also to make them flash with the beat of my music.