Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

PAC OEM-1 install - review and questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PAC OEM-1 install - review and questions

I finally got around to installing the new Alpine CDA-9807 today. I used the PAC ROEM-NIS2 kit, which included the OEM-1 converter, RAD-UNV harness for connecting to the new HU, and the AMP-NIS2 wire harness to plug into the existing BOSE plugs.

First off, I agree with what Studman said when he did his. The sound is 200% better. I realize now that the old BOSE HU had a muddled sound to it. Everything is now much clearer and cleaner. And it was easy to install.

Second, I had some interesting balance issues. I initially set all 4 gains on the OEM-1 about half way around (or 3 o'clock). However, when fading to the rear, I got absolutely no sound. I was worried and thought I had cut some wiring or something when I installed the new amp that I will eventually attach to new subs. I reset the gains on the OEM-1 so that the rears were full open, and the fronts were almost full closed (the best setup for favoring the rears). However, even then, I'd say the fronts are atleast twice as loud as the rears. For me, this works out accoustically, as far as where the center of sound is, so I have no problem, but I thought it was weird that I had to set the gains this way.

Anyone else have this issue when using the PAC OEM-1 kit in a 4th generation? How did my old BOSE HU power both the front and rears fairly equally?
Old 01-24-2004, 09:22 AM

I didn't mess with the settings at all... cuase I figured they were preset to the optimal settings. I get about 50-50 FRONT-REAR sound distribution now.

G