Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Scosche HU install kit...POS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 09:21 AM

Scosche HU install kit...POS!!

I purchased a Scosche head unit installation kit from sounddomain.com, (good company, BTW) part number NN1494. I was going to install my HU, a Sony CDX-C90. It is a single DIN HU. (I actually already had it installed and was just looking for something that looked nicer than my current install kit). Sounddomain's website said, "Can accommodate one single-DIN, two single-DIN, or one double-DIN aftermarket radio (double-DIN radio requires minor modification of the installation kit)."

Hmmmm, okay. Whatever. So I had to REALLY modify the single DIN opening (above the pocket) to get my stereo to fit. The opening was WAY too small. Did I mention what a PITA that was? No? I didn't? WELL IT WAS!

Then, the pocket would not fit at all because it was too big and rubbed up against the HU's mounting sleeve. I don't care how many times I tried it just WOULD *grunt* NOT *cuss* FIT!!!!!!

The ONLY thing this kit had going for it was that it was perfectly color-matched with the dash. Oh well. I emailed sounddomain and asked them what my options were. I'm sure it's mine to keep now...even though it will end up in the garbage can if I can't get a refund.

There. I feel better.

Oh, in case you're wondering, the original kit I used was made by American International, purchased at Crutchfield. It's a perfect fit, but not the same exact color as the vents and trim around the climate control. No one notices except me, though.

Tony
Old 01-31-2004, 11:41 AM

yeah i have the metra kit and it was simple to install and fits great. doesnt match the dash but nobody notices. they are too busy "watching my h/u". people are so easily entertained.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:22 PM

yeah, scosche is crap. i got one from walmart and now my pocket is recessed a little and i got a gap in between the headunit and pocket. i'll redo it in the summertime and order it from a different company.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:48 PM

Should have asked first my man. Everyone here will tell you the best way to go is the 2000 GXE vent trim. Color matched, contour matched, perfect fit, of course it is - it's a Nissan part! But too late for that I guess.

Pic
Old 01-31-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
Should have asked first my man. Everyone here will tell you the best way to go is the 2000 GXE vent trim. Color matched, contour matched, perfect fit, of course it is - it's a Nissan part! But too late for that I guess.

Pic

will that fix a 97' se max?
Old 01-31-2004, 06:12 PM

Pic
Yeah, I bought both kits--Metra and Schoche--the Metra fit so much better. Kojiro, by any chance, do you know the Nissan part number for this 2000 GXE radio trim? I would like to get one because it looks so much better. Where can I find one cheap?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:38 PM

Pic
I already knew about the GXE piece. Too expensive. The Scosche looked very promising from the picture. It was only $12, which isn't a big deal...it was my time and effort that I didn't like wasting. Had the internal fittings worked and the hole been the right size, it would have looked very nice.

Thanks for info, though. Your dash looks VERY nice. Maybe down the road I'll get the GXE piece.

Tony
Old 01-31-2004, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
Yeah, I bought both kits--Metra and Schoche--the Metra fit so much better. Kojiro, by any chance, do you know the Nissan part number for this 2000 GXE radio trim? I would like to get one because it looks so much better. Where can I find one cheap?
Dave B. is your best bet:
Part # 68750-3Y110 $88.28
Pocket Part # 68475-35F00 $19.96

You can try other parts suppliers, but they will be more like $110 + $25 for the pocket. Dave B gives discounts to Maxima.org members. 888-254-6060 or daveb@adpub.com

It is a little pricey, but worth it. I had both the plain black one from a local shop and the scosche. I gave up on making the Scosche fit. The plain black looked ghetto. After having the ghetto one for a couple months, I decided the money was worth it.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:42 AM

Dave B. is your best bet:
Part # 68750-3Y110 $88.28
Pocket Part # 68475-35F00 $19.96

You can try other parts suppliers, but they will be more like $110 + $25 for the pocket. Dave B gives discounts to Maxima.org members. 888-254-6060 or daveb@adpub.com

It is a little pricey, but worth it. I had both the plain black one from a local shop and the scosche. I gave up on making the Scosche fit. The plain black looked ghetto. After having the ghetto one for a couple months, I decided the money was worth it.
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:30 PM

pic of 2K GXE dash trim

Old 02-02-2004, 07:06 PM

I used a scosche kit for my amp (power only) that i got from walmart and i'm impressed
Old 02-02-2004, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by skiboarder72
I used a scosche kit for my amp (power only) that i got from walmart and i'm impressed
their amp wiring kits are fine but their dash install kits arent that great
Old 02-03-2004, 12:46 AM

Thanks for the pics, maugs808. It comes with a pocket, right?

Tony
Old 02-05-2004, 04:53 PM

pocket not included

Tony-- the pocket was NOT included with the part in the picture. The pocket was a separate... like $20 I think. the dash trim was like $120. it was worth it to me because, after all, i am looking at my dash/stereo every day!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I had to take it a step further with the GXE kit because the gap between the radio and pocket was driving me insane. I had a local shop make a custom abs trim ring for me and flush mount the deck.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by asu174
I had to take it a step further with the GXE kit because the gap between the radio and pocket was driving me insane. I had a local shop make a custom abs trim ring for me and flush mount the deck.
Hey that looks good man. I got that gap too, but I think it is because we put the pocket on top instead of bottom like designed. I have seen others with the pocket on the bottom and no gap. I am thinking of taking it out and turning the pocket upside down to see if the spacing will be better.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by asu174

hm, that h/u looks strangely familiar..

Don't ya love how clean the sound is from the KDC MP622? My only complaint is mine skips somtimes on bass tracks if I leave the fader set too far to the front..I usually dump it about 1/3 the way to the rears for bass tracks to keep it from skipping..

Anyway..I've used a couple of scosche h/u install kits in other vehicles and they worked fine..if it wasn't for the multiple opinions about them that have already been given, I'd tell you it was that massproducedoverpricedjunk (Sony) headunit causing the problem, but I don't think I could get away with it now
Old 02-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
hm, that h/u looks strangely familiar..

Don't ya love how clean the sound is from the KDC MP622? My only complaint is mine skips somtimes on bass tracks if I leave the fader set too far to the front..I usually dump it about 1/3 the way to the rears for bass tracks to keep it from skipping..
Mine has never skipped once- not even on really, really hard bumps.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:27 PM
ABS

I wish I'd seen this thread prior to ordering the damned Scosche kit! It turns out that indeed the Scosche kit is virtually impossible to install. When I tried it out, the HU was always in the wrong position, the pocket never lined up right and I kept ending up with a big gap between the top of the automatic climate control and the bottom of the Scosche kit. Absolutely horrible. Mid install I ran out to a local shop and picked up the Metra kit. Fifteen minutes later, I had my HU installed in the OEM bracket with the Metra kit. Overall it looks pretty good although it would be better if it were painted to match the OEM silver/grey on my dash. If/when I need to install a flip out 7" LCD display I will probably have no choice but to upgrade to the OEM double din unit from the GXE. I highly recommend the Metra kit over the Scosche kit.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:30 AM
vqman

does anyone have a picture of the OEM 2000 GXE installed in a newer Maxima?

I have a Titanium Edition, and was wondering if the color would match up?

thanks for the info...

I've recently bought an Eclipse CD8053....and I could tell the sosche was a POS as soon as I opened the package...

I won't even TRY to install it.

-vq

Old 02-16-2004, 06:00 AM

2K GXE Dash Trin in Titanium Edition

VQMAN--

I have the 2K GXE Dash Trin installed in my 2K1 SE and the color matches perfect. However, my in-law's have a 2K3 Titanium Edition and the color DOES NOT match. The TE's dash trim is more "silvery" and the 2K/2K1 dash trim is more "grey". The part that wont match up is the small grey swoop detail at the bottom of the piece. (See pic in my post above.) The piece itself would probably fit perfect though.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:34 AM
vqman

I think I will just take the OEM part from Dave B, and get it painted to match the TE paint...

thanks for the info

-vq

Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
I already knew about the GXE piece. Too expensive. The Scosche looked very promising from the picture. It was only $12, which isn't a big deal...it was my time and effort that I didn't like wasting. Had the internal fittings worked and the hole been the right size, it would have looked very nice.

Thanks for info, though. Your dash looks VERY nice. Maybe down the road I'll get the GXE piece.

Tony
I have the Scosche on my 2002 SE, and it works fine. I don't use the Pocket, I have a DIN EQ from Kenwood. It looks almost factory!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:46 PM
ABS

Originally Posted by joebrez
I have the Scosche on my 2002 SE, and it works fine. I don't use the Pocket, I have a DIN EQ from Kenwood. It looks almost factory!!!
How exactly did you mount the radio and the EQ with the OEM bracket? Did you drill new holes and if so, how exactly did you figure out where to put them?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ABS
How exactly did you mount the radio and the EQ with the OEM bracket? Did you drill new holes and if so, how exactly did you figure out where to put them?
To be honest, One of My buddies used to do the Show-Car installs for Sony. So I let him do ALL my sound system work (wouldn't you for a 12pack :-)
)

I just gave him the parts and drank beer. I can sent some pics. He is usually the first to comment on anything crap that I buy (which is not often anymore), and he also was impressed with the Kit (Coloring and Fit). Again...He did NOT use the Pocket. I do know that he didn't make ANY modification to the kit. He may have drilled to mount the EQ, but I am not sure.

Please let me know if you want any pics...
Old 02-19-2004, 01:08 PM
vqman

joe,

I just got my 2000 GXE trim peice in the mail...

and when I compare it to the sosche peice...

well,

the sosche peice is a lot flimsier, and the pocket is tiny...

the pocket on the OEM part is bigger, and stronger.

but if you are happy what can I say? it's your ride...

-vq

Old 02-19-2004, 08:02 PM

Ok fellas I have a question. I know I can install the kit in my I35 but the vents in my car are seperate from the trim that is around the Crap Bose. Will I still be able to use this kit for my car?
Old 02-20-2004, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by VQMAN
joe,

I just got my 2000 GXE trim peice in the mail...

and when I compare it to the sosche peice...

well,

the sosche peice is a lot flimsier, and the pocket is tiny...

the pocket on the OEM part is bigger, and stronger.

but if you are happy what can I say? it's your ride...

-vq
As I said in my previous post, I did not use the Pocket due to having a full DIN EQ. Glad the GXE works great though.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by gqmac2
Ok fellas I have a question. I know I can install the kit in my I35 but the vents in my car are seperate from the trim that is around the Crap Bose. Will I still be able to use this kit for my car?

You can use the Metra and Scosche kits. You canNOT use the GXE Maxima vent+trim+pocket.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

See i had this problem with the Scoshe kit because you HAVE TO DRILL NEW HOLES on your factory bracket.

The metra kit you don't have to, but your headunit is not aligned with the bracket so you have to drill regardless if you want more rigidness.

FOr me, i have double din (7" screen for xbox and kenwood deck) and i am building my own trim.

I am mounting the 7" screen flush using the schoshe trim, and puting my Dmask Kenwood deck in a custom trim under the climate control (where the ash tray is)..

ED
Old 02-20-2004, 04:57 PM

Here is my setup to clarify anyone that is confused of which kit fits better. My setup involves the Metra kit. In order to mount both DIN units, I had to trim off the bottom of the kit. I bought both the Scosche and Metra kits. The Scosche kit did not work because the openings were too small and the mounting holes/tabs did not align up with the bracket. Recently, I bought the GXE kit off a member in which I will install when the wheather warms up. Here is a pic of my setup now, Kenwood D-mask CD headunit on top and Kenwood CD add-on unit on bottom.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
Here is my setup to clarify anyone that is confused of which kit fits better. My setup involves the Metra kit. In order to mount both DIN units, I had to trim off the bottom of the kit. I bought both the Scosche and Metra kits. The Scosche kit did not work because the openings were too small and the mounting holes/tabs did not align up with the bracket. Recently, I bought the GXE kit off a member in which I will install when the wheather warms up. Here is a pic of my setup now, Kenwood D-mask CD headunit on top and Kenwood CD add-on unit on bottom.
That is sweet! Man I can't wait to get some time to install my setup.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:41 AM

See, I knew there was a reason I liked doing business with sounddomain.com. I just learned that they refunded my entire purchase amount, including shipping. They didn't even ask for the kit back!! (or what was left of it)

Kudos to sounddomain!!!

Tony
Old 02-21-2004, 10:24 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
See, I knew there was a reason I liked doing business with sounddomain.com. I just learned that they refunded my entire purchase amount, including shipping. They didn't even ask for the kit back!! (or what was left of it)

Kudos to sounddomain!!!

Tony
did you call them, or email them

what phone number, what email address?

thanks

-vq

Old 02-21-2004, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by VQMAN
did you call them, or email them

what phone number, what email address?

thanks

-vq
I emailed them. At the bottom of their home page is a link for "contact us". I just used that. I didn't even ask for my money back...I had just complained about my bad experience with their product. It was a pleasant surprise.

Tony
Old 02-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yall do realize that this scosche kit is not a headunit kit right? Its only a faceplate kit. Not to mention its only to be used for ISO mount, not DIN mounting. I think alot of people fail to realize that.

I got two units in my setup, and the setup looks just fine, no issues.
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/...o/frontlcd.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../frontlcd2.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../frontlcd3.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../frontlcd4.jpg

Dixit
Old 02-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Yall do realize that this scosche kit is not a headunit kit right? Its only a faceplate kit. Not to mention its only to be used for ISO mount, not DIN mounting. I think alot of people fail to realize that.

I got two units in my setup, and the setup looks just fine, no issues.
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/...o/frontlcd.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../frontlcd2.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../frontlcd3.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../frontlcd4.jpg

Dixit
Man this is a nice setup. Did you use a aftrermarket kit or a a custom design kit.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Like I said, just used the scosche face kit. The units are screwed down through the stock brackets. Just need to drill new holes. Line it up exactly, and no problems.

Dixit
Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cool J
will that fix a 97' se max?
Again, would this GXE kit be adaptable to a 4th Generation maxima, that is a 1998 version with no Bose?

The discussion here has been compatibility with 5th generation.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Play with my balls

No it will not work. The dash is completely different. Single dins and double dins work well with the 4th gens.

Quick Reply: Scosche HU install kit...POS!!