Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

For The Love Of God

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 05:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You guys,

I am SO FRUSTRATED right now.

As some of you know, I had an Alpine system installed in my i30. The guys who put it in are good guys, but I hate the dash piece they made for it, I really do. (See the pix on my car pages -- it doesn't match at ALL.. like this weird space age metal stuff)

ALL I WANT is for my dash to LOOK GOOD. I want it to LOOK LIKE IT BELONGS. For FOCKS sake.

So I take it to ANOTHER Alpine dealer and he's like awww yeah that's ugly. We can fix you right up. I left my car with them for 5 hours yesterday and all they did was get LATEX PAINT matched to my dash color, and PAINT THE SAME PIECE and put in a trim ring. It looks like SH-T and the paint is already peeling. Plus the piece is now looser than it ever was. You can push it and it moves. They only charged me $75, but.... for what?

The guys at the place said they misunderstood and were trying to save me money. I was like "I didn't ask you to save me money, I asked you to make my dash look great." So they offered to refund the $75 and do it again, this time making a custom fiberglass piece but I suspect they still plan to use the same paint. I need a custom DYE that matches the dash I would imagine... or a custom wood dash piece.. or both..

I mean, even after the discussion, the guy who did it is showing me this fabric he can stretch over it and make it look good. I'm thinking, FABRIC? WTF??? This was telling me they didn't quite get it.

EVEN MY MOTHER THINKS IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP. MY MOM IS AWESOME BUT BARELY WOULD KNOW IF SHE WAS IN A CHEVY NOVA OR A LEXUS LS430.. THIS TELLS YOU SOMETHING VERY VERY IMPORTANT.

The original install: http://www.citrano.com/car/pix/CVA1005Closed1.JPG

How it looks now:

http://www.citrano.com/car/pix/painted_piece.JPG

I don't feel like I'm asking for much -- I just want it to look stock. I want my dash to look great. I want it to look like a GOD DAMNED Infiniti... like it IS.

For god's sake, what am I going to do? Am I REALLY asking for the world here?????? DAMN

HELP

/aac
Old 03-14-2001, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WOW that painted version looks worse than the original.
Maybe you can buy a aftermarket dash kit and then neatly cut the upper piece around your stereo?
It's probably real hard to match the interior color of the dash and the new trim that you have.
Old 03-14-2001, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by breaux124
WOW that painted version looks worse than the original.
Oh GOD I KNOW

Originally posted by breaux124
Maybe you can buy a aftermarket dash kit and then neatly cut the upper piece around your stereo?
It's probably real hard to match the interior color of the dash and the new trim that you have. [/B]
I could probably get some custom dye somewhere.. but I can't find an aftermarket dash kit that will fit... any ideas ANYONE???

/aac
Old 03-14-2001, 07:48 AM

fock that looks bad lol. sorry not the rain on your parade i know you're pissed but they did a **** job painting it. It's a really odd shape, fiberglass is the way to go because at least you can get a smooth shape if it's done right (read: $$$) Seems like the biggest problem is paint. I don't see any reason why you couldn't bring a dash peice into a home depot and have them color match paint for you. I used to mix paint at my old job and the techniquest hat have now for color matching are phenomenal.

good luck, let us know how it comes out.
Old 03-14-2001, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by CKNY
fock that looks bad lol. sorry not the rain on your parade i know you're pissed but they did a **** job painting it. It's a really odd shape, fiberglass is the way to go because at least you can get a smooth shape if it's done right (read: $$$) Seems like the biggest problem is paint. I don't see any reason why you couldn't bring a dash peice into a home depot and have them color match paint for you. I used to mix paint at my old job and the techniquest hat have now for color matching are phenomenal.

good luck, let us know how it comes out.
You're not raining on my parade, you agreed with me.

I don't care about cost. It needs to be done right. My worry is that latex paint will not adhere to fiberglass very well. Is there an aeresol dye I could get instead? Or another kind of paint? A metallic would be even better.

/aac
Old 03-14-2001, 11:58 AM

If it was me, here's what I would do.

I'm not so sure about the texture, it looks pretty beat up, you might wanna get the old piece back or have them make one with the old texture.

Pick the interior piece that best matches the color of the piece you want. Auto-paint supply stores (not AutoZone or Pep Boys), but hardcore auto paint specialty stores, sell an interior paint that is flexible (if your pieces are), or just a plastic paint (different than regular paint), that can be matched off a sample.

I would prefer the factory "grey color/kinda metal looking" but you may have another preference.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:22 PM

I say sand down the trim piece enough that you can wrap it in vinyl. You should be able to get it dyed to match the rest of the dash covering. Matching wood trim would look nice, too, but that's probably tough to come by.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
If it was me, here's what I would do.

I'm not so sure about the texture, it looks pretty beat up, you might wanna get the old piece back or have them make one with the old texture.

Pick the interior piece that best matches the color of the piece you want. Auto-paint supply stores (not AutoZone or Pep Boys), but hardcore auto paint specialty stores, sell an interior paint that is flexible (if your pieces are), or just a plastic paint (different than regular paint), that can be matched off a sample.

I would prefer the factory "grey color/kinda metal looking" but you may have another preference.
That IS the old piece, they just painted it. I am reluctant to let them do something else... too bad I don't know how to work with fiberglass, I'd do it myself...

/aac
Old 03-14-2001, 05:54 PM
Disco Biscuit

Problem with fiberglass, is paint doesn't usually stick to it well. Gel Coating works wonders with fiberglass, but costs. I work with fiberglass with my "other" hobby and it usually scatches easily when painted. I do agree with Botos is the covering with vinyl, as that would be the easiest and most durable.
There is one other idea that would look beutiful, but will cost. Take the piece you have to a machine shop, ( a GOOD one) and have them machine a replacement piece out of solid aluminum stock. Best way for doing that is if you find a shop that has a CNC machine and a 3D scanner to scan the part.
Hey, it's an idea.
Old 03-14-2001, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

actually if you smooth that piece out and cover it with vynil it will look a LOT better. Justa thought.
Old 03-14-2001, 08:53 PM
STFU n00b!

I was gonna say the vinyl thing too. You can find some witht he same texture as your interior, and then have a good paint/dye place color match some vinyl dye to your car..
I figure it'll probably cost about $50 if you do it yourself, but that's not bad at all compared to what you've already spent..

Come to tulsa and I'll fix you up..
Old 03-15-2001, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Botos
I say sand down the trim piece enough that you can wrap it in vinyl. You should be able to get it dyed to match the rest of the dash covering. Matching wood trim would look nice, too, but that's probably tough to come by.

There are some gaps with the current piece (at the top) and it's loose (the top left corner moves freely)

Would there be a way to solve this with the current piece? Or do I have to make a new one? How can I make a new piece using the old piece as a mold, if I need the new piece a little taller?

/aac
Old 03-15-2001, 03:07 PM
Disco Biscuit

Well, if it was wrapped with vinyl, it will make it fit snugger depending on how loose it is....
Old 03-15-2001, 06:40 PM

welp

I brought it to a THIRD installer and these guys have done some high-end work.

He is going to make a custom ABS piece to fit; then paint it with the actual Infiniti interior color. Hopefully that will look good.

We are also going to TRY to put a piece of ABS burlwood over it if it looks OK, but not sure if that will work. What I'd really like is to get a custom-cut piece (or a sheet to cut) of the real Wood Dash stuff. Ideas?

/aac
Old 03-15-2001, 08:31 PM
jmax

I will 4th or 5th the vinyl idea and add another for kicks. Try covering the trim piece as well as the rest of the dash trim with a real wood veneer and stain it the color you like best. Then put a good layer of polyurethane on top. I also agree that the vinyl will make it fit more snugly. But you could do either of these for less than $20 yourself.