Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Speakers: Infinity or Polk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 07:20 PM

Speakers: Infinity or Polk?

I want to replace the 4 OEM speakers in my non-Bose system with either Infinity Reference 6002i or Polk db650.

I can get the Infinitys for around $60/pair in Etronics. Crutchfield have the Polks at $99/pair but you can get the second pair for 1/2 price until the end of this week. So it is really a $30 difference for two pairs. Specs are pretty close. I'm leaning towards the Polks but I need a second opinion.

BTW, I'm going to be using the OEM headunit to drive them.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 08:02 PM

1) Don't go to crutchfield. They're expensive. Try doing searches online and i guarentee you'll find the same exact speakers for a cheaper price.

Infinity and Polk are both great speakers. I like them both. You might want to consider mb quart. They're very nice speakers. I have 2 pairs of qsd 216 mb quart in my car and they sound great.

You can't go wrong with both...
Old 03-16-2004, 08:32 PM

of the two, id choose the infinitys, but JL or CDT speakers will sound much better
Old 03-16-2004, 08:58 PM

id get cdt cl61 a's. are the speakers you mentioned coaxes or comps?
Old 03-19-2004, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by slickrick
id get cdt cl61 a's. are the speakers you mentioned coaxes or comps?
Thanks for the suggestions... I'll look into them.

Slick, they are both coax. I thought of putting comps up front, to replace the A pillar tweeters altogether but I'm a little bit concern with being able to fit the woofers at the doors and installing the x-overs that most comp systems require. I want to make the installation as simple as possible because I want to do it myself. I don't know of any decent installers in my area and I don't want to risk my interiors by going to places like Circuit City or Best Buy.
So I was hoping that replacing the OEM speakers with decent coax would suffice.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
Thanks for the suggestions... I'll look into them.

Slick, they are both coax. I thought of putting comps up front, to replace the A pillar tweeters altogether but I'm a little bit concern with being able to fit the woofers at the doors and installing the x-overs that most comp systems require. I want to make the installation as simple as possible because I want to do it myself. I don't know of any decent installers in my area and I don't want to risk my interiors by going to places like Circuit City or Best Buy.
So I was hoping that replacing the OEM speakers with decent coax would suffice.
i was in the same boat as you... ive never installed car audio before and it was a nightmare. luckily i had a friend who did his car before so he had an idea. i could help you with any questions on the install. i HIGHLY recommend getting a comp set for the front. its better than coaxes. its worth the install. the xovers are easy to install.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:30 AM

yea comps are way better than coaxes. it's not as hard to install as it sounds either.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:46 PM

comps? help a person who is just getting into the audio aspect of the car
Old 03-20-2004, 03:21 PM

components are when the tweeter is separate from the midrange driver. coaxials are when the tweetr is connected to the midrange. for front stages typically a comp set is used, for the back (rear fill) coaxes are used.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by slickrick
i was in the same boat as you... ive never installed car audio before and it was a nightmare. luckily i had a friend who did his car before so he had an idea. i could help you with any questions on the install. i HIGHLY recommend getting a comp set for the front. its better than coaxes. its worth the install. the xovers are easy to install.
Hi guys,

I am going to get CDT CL-6x for the rear and CL-61a components for the front. I have an Alpine 9805 HU. At this time I am not going to use an Amp. Where woud you sugest to put xovers? Any thoughts on how to correctly wire the fronts and how to properly install the tweeters.

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rmalach
Hi guys,

I am going to get CDT CL-6x for the rear and CL-61a components for the front. I have an Alpine 9805 HU. At this time I am not going to use an Amp. Where woud you sugest to put xovers? Any thoughts on how to correctly wire the fronts and how to properly install the tweeters.

Thanks a lot.
I work at circuit city roadshop as an installer right now. The best place to put the speakers in the front is to have them side by side, you want them to function as a single speaker for the best sound, and splitting them apart screws with the soundstaging. Basically you want all the sound to hit your head at the same time, but anyway, you can still mount it in the a-pillar and it should sound fine. I just installed infinity components in the front of an Evo 8 and I didn't use the crossover, Infinity tweeters have a small crossover built into it already and the woofer didn't sound bad without the crossover so I ended up just not using it. You might be able to do the same thing with the CDT speakers or just using the crossover for one speaker. Just pull the A-pillars off and unscrew the stock tweeters, use some velcro and hotglue to secure the tweeter onto the bracket and you should be good to go. I'd trust circuit city, but you just have to make sure the guy doing your car is a good installer. If you ask to speak to a roadshop manager and let them know you're very worried about damage on the interior of the car they usually get one of the more experienced guys to do it. I know we've done that on a few high-end vehicles like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus.