Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Buying online..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 06:15 PM

which shops are good, which ones to steer clear of?

tanks!
Old 03-21-2001, 09:37 PM
STFU n00b!

Good:

mmxpress.com
zalytron.com (only focal car speakers. everything else they have it home audio)
uhhh, ampmanaudio.com is CanuckAMP's website or who he works for or something. I've known this guy for several years and he's always been an upstanding guy.. I'll vouch for him, even though I've never done $ type business with him.

Carmedia1.com: mixed reviews.

NEVER EVER buy from smilephotovideo.com
I know tons of people (including me) that they have screwed.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:24 PM

Good:

www.mmxpress.com, www.audio-n-more.com, www.audiophiles-online.com, www.caraudiolady.com, www.ampmanaudio.com, www.theautophile.com, www.autotoys.com, www.tms-electronics.com, www.installer.com/rocs.html, www.discountaudosound.com, www.soundcity.com.

Mediocre: (Spamwhores)

www.carmedia1.com, www.thezeb.com

Stay clear: (lost goods - warranty issues)

www.soundhabit.com, www.sqaudio.com, www.smilephotovideo.com
Old 03-23-2001, 12:30 AM

Thanks a lot guys.. if i cant get the stuff i want locally at the prices i want.. online it is.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:31 AM

Try www.crutchfield.com. They offer great service and decent prices.
Old 03-23-2001, 01:07 AM

Doh I forgot about Crutchfield, but I'm pushing for the little guy, not the big megastore that doesn't need any more market share

OgreDave: What brands are you interested in? what are you looking to buy, subs, amps, speakers? What is your budget?

I suggest you go out and take a look around and listen to as many things as you can. Don't expect to make the decision on the spot. Take a notepad with you and jot down anything that pops into your head when you are at each place. That will help you organize your thoughts when you get home at the end of your search to think about everything. Give yourself at least one night to sleep on it. Get up the next day and with a clear head go over your notes and finalize your lists down to 3 or 4 places. Make a return visit to all of them. Ask questions about their installs, ask to see pics if they have any.

Then you can make an informed decision. And if you believe you can do it yourself, cetainly consider buying online.
Old 03-23-2001, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Good:

uhhh, ampmanaudio.com is CanuckAMP's website or who he works for or something. I've known this guy for several years and he's always been an upstanding guy.. I'll vouch for him, even though I've never done $ type business with him.
Close, Kirk Neal is the owner of AMPMAN Audio, I'm just one of his sales associates and technical help guys, offering support for customers and TeamAMP members alike. I'm also starting my own business outside of my Ampman duties for Canadian customers up here and friends in the States.

Matt do you hang on rec.audio.car?
Old 03-23-2001, 06:12 AM
STFU n00b!

Canuck, I used to hang on RAC quite a bit, but I haven't been back in a couple years. there just got to be too much BS, and loading 2500 new posts per day through a modem connection was absolutely horrid.

It was just slightly past the time Team ROCS was established.. I think it was just after the year that Scott Buwalda kicked *** at finals, which woulda been finals '99, right?
Old 03-23-2001, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by CanuckAMP

OgreDave: What brands are you interested in? what are you looking to buy, subs, amps, speakers? What is your budget?
Don't worry, i know about crutchfield. Theyre way overpriced, im pushin for my wallet.. my budget can be stretched, i can starve for a week or two, im a lil aZn guy.

I've been takin notes.. im tryin to get the Kenwood z828, but i cant find places other than crutchfield that carry it, they want 619 for it to be PREORDERED.. i realize its not out yet, but it should be out anyday, since it was supposed to ship with the MP8017 deck..

Basically, im lookin at a Mp3 deck that can put out decent amt, and im scared of the 1.8v preouts on the KDC-MP8017.. plus only 2 preouts.

Amps, i think im going PPI 4400.2 + JBP 1200.1 .. 2 1.0f Lightning caps

Speakers.. probably all Image Dynamics, i used to be able to get them at cost, or near cost.. which is basically a 2 for 1 deal.

Dunno what else i need. Gonna try to dampen/wire/install deck, speakers, amps.. everything but the subs & box. Gonna see about gettin that custom made, like my cousin's 540

If i can pull the labor out my a$$, and get hooked up on stuff, i should be able to do everything for around 2000 - 2200, but im not sure how much the dampening & wires will cost, so hopefully ive overestimated.. heh.

Oh, one other question.. im not quite sure on how to wire the subs.. im gonna see if theyll make me a pair of ID Max's, but if they wont, im going with IDQ 12 v2 .. what ohm you guys think i should get & how should i wire them up?

Once again, thanks for your help guys, and any ideas would be appreciated.. but dont say anything about the JBL or the 2 Caps, cuz i think Russ would be unhappy. (buyin from him)

*update* .. wow the clarion is selling for 495 at tms-electronics .. *2* .. just called .. not in stock yet. bah. still cheaper than kenwood tho ..

*cry* cant use any more smileys (read: images)
Old 03-23-2001, 02:08 PM

RAC!

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Canuck, I used to hang on RAC quite a bit, but I haven't been back in a couple years. there just got to be too much BS, and loading 2500 new posts per day through a modem connection was absolutely horrid.
Man, I haven't been on RAC in years. Used to be a decent place to pick up tips and ideas, though...
Old 03-25-2001, 02:11 PM

Nothing much has changed since you were prolly last there. The regulars poke fun at the newbies. Everyone bashes the new spammer of the week. And the questions ae still the same because no one reads the darn FAQ