Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

upgrading subwoofer for bose systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 01:45 PM

upgrading subwoofer for bose systems

So I told myself that when I got this car, I wouldn't do anything to it. Keep it stock for awhile....well, I can't help myself. I'm an upgrade junkie and I can admit it!

So, I'm looking to upgrade the bass a little. The stock system sounds pretty good for stock but, I'd like to get more bass. The 8's give you some bass but, it's like a tease for me because I'm waiting for my seat to give me a massage!

Anyway, I've come up with a pretty cool idea. I'm planning to make a mdf/fiberglass box to fit into one of the side to the rear of the trunk. Kinda like the JL audio stealthbox for the previous maximas. A 10" sub, maybe even a 12" sub might be able to fit in there. I would use the other side of the trunk to house the new amp. I'm thinking that I will finish the front of the box with carpet to match the trunk or I can paint it to match the car. I don't know yet...

I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think of it. Maybe someone else has already done it...I don't know. If it has already been done, can someone point me to a website or pic. Thanks

PS - I guess this upgrade could be for both the bose and the stock system.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The best way to go about this and keep the stock Bose stereo is add a PAC OEM1 Bose adaptor. We sell them to the 4th and 5th Gen Maxima people that just want to add a single 10 or 12 to give it some more bottom end.

The PAC adaptor gives you 4ch of RCA outs. It's not a crappy hi-low converter, but it intercepts and converts the balanced line level signal from the deck and gives you a tradtional unbalanced RCA output.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:26 PM

I don't have bose but I'm looking to replace stock speakers jbl maybe. Has anyone with out bose has changed stock speakers? does it sound better ?
Old 06-26-2004, 07:42 AM
ABS

Originally Posted by cobymoby
The best way to go about this and keep the stock Bose stereo is add a PAC OEM1 Bose adaptor. We sell them to the 4th and 5th Gen Maxima people that just want to add a single 10 or 12 to give it some more bottom end.

The PAC adaptor gives you 4ch of RCA outs. It's not a crappy hi-low converter, but it intercepts and converts the balanced line level signal from the deck and gives you a tradtional unbalanced RCA output.
Can't he just tap into the signal lines going from the Bose amp to the subwoofer without an adapter? I know I've read about people doing this with good success.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:58 AM

No, that will not work. The bose amp uses a balanced line signal whereas amps w/ RCA's are unbalance.

Or you can use a hi-low converter which is a ghetto way of getting RCA's. You will loose a lot of signal quality using this method.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:49 AM
ABS

No, that will not work. The bose amp uses a balanced line signal whereas amps w/ RCA's are unbalance.

Or you can use a hi-low converter which is a ghetto way of getting RCA's. You will loose a lot of signal quality using this method.
Well, I know it's a high level unbalanced signal from the HU to the Bose amp, but, are you certain about the line from the Bose amp to the Bose subwoofer? I nearly positive that I've read about people tapping directly into that line without any ill effects.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by ABS
Well, I know it's a high level unbalanced signal from the HU to the Bose amp, but, are you certain about the line from the Bose amp to the Bose subwoofer? I nearly positive that I've read about people tapping directly into that line without any ill effects.
The signal going from the HU to Bose amp is a line level (ie low level), BALANCED signal. yes, you can tap into the speaker level output from the amp using a hi-low converter. But like I said, you will loose a lot of signal quality that way.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

so where can i get the PAC OEM1 Bose adaptor? my installer said he's gonna tap into rear speaker wires and get signals from there. he did amp/sub installation on my roommate's QX4 with bose system, he used some kind of adaptor...i'll get a pic of it tomorrow or sometime soon.

he wants $80~$100 for just installation. I kinda wanna install amp/sub by myself, but I'm inexperienced and it's freaking cold outside...still thinking...
Old 12-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Originally Posted by rabenoja

Anyway, I've come up with a pretty cool idea. I'm planning to make a mdf/fiberglass box to fit into one of the side to the rear of the trunk. Kinda like the JL audio stealthbox for the previous maximas. A 10" sub, maybe even a 12" sub might be able to fit in there. I would use the other side of the trunk to house the new amp. I'm thinking that I will finish the front of the box with carpet to match the trunk or I can paint it to match the car. I don't know yet...

I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think of it. Maybe someone else has already done it...I don't know. If it has already been done, can someone point me to a website or pic. Thanks
Done That:

More pix:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/636944/5
Old 12-04-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
so where can i get the PAC OEM1 Bose adaptor? my installer said he's gonna tap into rear speaker wires and get signals from there. he did amp/sub installation on my roommate's QX4 with bose system, he used some kind of adaptor...i'll get a pic of it tomorrow or sometime soon.

he wants $80~$100 for just installation. I kinda wanna install amp/sub by myself, but I'm inexperienced and it's freaking cold outside...still thinking...
Old thread back from the dead...

Some people have gone the pre-fab route... they got either a basslink or bazooka tube and tapped into the rear subs. The PAC adaptor you can get probably on ebay or post a WTB in the 6th gen classifieds.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 AM

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it turns out. If you go with fiberglass, I would probably just have it painted the same color as the trunk interior. I really like the fiberglass look, it's just a little more expensive. I have been considering a fiberglass enclosure for my last sub. The vinyl for me has worked out nice, but fiberglass is the shizznizzle, ya' hurd!!! Good luck!
PEACE OUT
Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 AM
SuPeRmOd

Sticky anyone?

otherwise......
Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I know its an old thread but none the less. Dozens of Maximas and Many years of installs beg to differ with your opinion. Running a direct RCA out from low level of the HU works perfectly fine without and issues.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Sticky anyone?

otherwise......
No need for this stickied.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:19 PM

I had an '04 Altima w/ the Bose Premium system. I wanted crisper bass so I installed an Infiniti Basslink into the trunk and tapped into the signal lines going into the rear Bose amp. Worked great. The nice thing about the Basslink is it's small eough to move around the trunk until you find the right bass wavelength response in relation to the driver's seat.

I now have an '06 Maxima (long story) w/ the Bose premuim sound system. The bass on this system is a little better so I've decided to not to install another basslink. However I have found the highs to be flatter than my liking and would love to find a way to add some tweeters into the upper doors or A pillars.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:29 PM

i have an 04 max with the bose premium sound package as well. when you say tap the wires in the rear, do you mean splice into the wires going to the rear speakers?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:31 PM

cobymoby, is the adapter PAC AOEM-NIS2 ?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:01 PM

^ that is the adaptor. Scoche also makes one you can get for a bit less money. The PAC one costs around 59 or so. I am buying the one from Scoche tomorrow and going to install later this week or early next week with two amps, components and subs.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:39 PM

what is the schose model or part number that you bought? TIA
Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 PM

SLC4 4 channel line output converter. Not bought yet, but will in a few hours (ebay). I'm going to try this one and if it doesnt work well I may consider others. Depending on your pockets/needs Fosgate has a new signal processor out called the 3Sixty. Its around 300 dollars but its pretty sweet. If I had the money I would consider but I dont, so no need. It is supposed to be the next generation in using the stock head unit and adding aftermarket speakers/subs/amps. And its bluetooth.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 AM

you are wasting your money.

The bose sound system doesn't sound very good in the first place and all you're doing is upgrading the bass... Buy a hi-low converter (15$ on ebay), it'll work just fine! I've installed these in MANY Maximas which kept the bose speakers and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Take the extra money and invest it in a better amp and drivers, you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
No need for this stickied.
wow this is old... i think i meant the info was in a Sticky I wrote up. this thread was likely moved from the 6th gen forum
Old 08-16-2006, 08:34 PM

realtight - so using the PAC AOEM-NIS2 would give the same result [more or less] like the typical line out converters?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM

foudn the PAC oem2 really cheap.. thought i'd post it here.

so use this to tap into the rear stock bose speakers input wires, then connect this to the new amp right?

OEM2 for $27.04
http://www.thebettersource.com/servl...prod=3593&dw=1
Old 08-17-2006, 12:55 PM

I guess some people just Loooove to spend money on useless products..
Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 PM

I guess some people just Loooove to spend money on useless products..
so... i can just splice the rear deck speakers into my amp and that will work just fine?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:22 PM

No, what you can do is splice RCAs into the preamp level of the signal.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:40 AM
Suspension Yoda

How many times does this RCA method need to be repeated for people to actually listen?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:38 AM

Too Many !!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
How many times does this RCA method need to be repeated for people to actually listen?
the sticky's say that you need to use the PAC adapter.

those need to be updated then...

No, what you can do is splice RCAs into the preamp level of the signal.
so how exactly do i do this? any pictures or anything? the stickys dont say anything about this.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by evil_spork
the sticky's say that you need to use the PAC adapter.

those need to be updated then...

so how exactly do i do this? any pictures or anything? the stickys dont say anything about this.
Take a pair of MALE RCA's. Cut off the end leaving about 6 inches of wire. Strip the two wires on each plug. Use those 4 wires and splice them INTO the speaker leads. Plug your PREAMP wires coming out of your HU into these male wires. Done. You're lucky I'm drvnk and in a good mood to actually type all that out.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:15 AM

Take a pair of MALE RCA's. Cut off the end leaving about 6 inches of wire. Strip the two wires on each plug. Use those 4 wires and splice them INTO the speaker leads. Plug your PREAMP wires coming out of your HU into these male wires. Done. You're lucky I'm drvnk and in a good mood to actually type all that out.
ok i must be missing something... that would be making a loop from the preamp out on my bose headunit to a spot on the rear deck speaker leads... with an rca connection in the middle. how does that get a signal to my new sub amp?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Suspension Yoda

Not the speaker leads on the rear deck. The sub. Where is the sub in the 4th gen anyway?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:28 PM

Not the speaker leads on the rear deck. The sub. Where is the sub in the 4th gen anyway?
theres 6 inch speakers in the front doors and the rear deck with tweeters in the a column.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:00 PM

Oh Im sooo not touching this...
Old 08-21-2006, 08:20 PM

Oh Im sooo not touching this...
or you could just help me to do this...

the stickies show the wrong information, and i havnt bought search so i cant search how to so this.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:55 PM

Actually the stickies have the right info. Some of it I wrote myself. They have been used for a reference point Many times over without fail.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 PM

Actually the stickies have the right info. Some of it I wrote myself. They have been used for a reference point Many times over without fail.
the first thread is some help but is very vague as to the actual procedure of splicing female RCA's into the preamp leads on the HU. i have no idea how to do this from that one post.

the second thread says to use a PAC adapter.

the post below that in the FAQ:
Adding RCA outputs / Amplifiers / Subs to 95-2003 Bose
Want to add RCA outputs (with optimal sound quality) to the BOSE HU (95-2003)?

Use the PAC AOEM-NIS2. It is completely plug and play and provides a remote wire lead, a pair of front channel RCA outputs, and a pair of rear channel RCA outputs. Eliminates several of the issues involved with using a Line Output Converter.

Currently the best price is $59.95 shipped, available here:

http://www.affsave.com/pac5.htm
no help there...

those are the only posts in the FAQ section regarding adding a sub to the bose system.

so again i ask, where in the stickys is a good explination of how to do this? could you please help this time instead of wasting both our time and bandwidth?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:59 PM

Where do you place this PAC OEM?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Canepole

It will connect to the back of you factory head unit. Look it up on Ebay and you will understand. It goes from your head unit to the OEM box then back into the cables that run to the amp. I got mine about a month ago. It's either you buy one, or splice a pair of RCA cables into the output of you amp. They sound very similar, the PAC OEM1 is a little better/cleaner though.

Quick Reply: upgrading subwoofer for bose systems