Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

CDT 3-way Crossover Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:17 AM

CDT 3-way Crossover Question

I have CDT CL 641 3-way component system. Is it possible to change the crossover unit from the one that came with it to the ES-300 crossover (one for eurosports)? If so would there be any benefit to doing this?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 05:02 AM

bump.... bump..
Old 06-30-2004, 05:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the CL's are the bottom of the barrel comps from CDT....the tweeters and mids aren't made to play what the Eurosports can- much superior componentry

I think they would do more harm than good
Old 06-30-2004, 06:19 AM

Although they are CDT's entry level components, the CL series is still much better than many other component sets out there in the same price range. The crossover for the CL-641s are made for that component set and I would suggest sticking with that one as the crossover points might be different on the other crossover and like stated above...could do more harm than good.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM

Thanks for your responses. I talked with CDT this morning and they said that it would improve my sound quality and imaging and that wouldn't hurt my speakers as long as I don't provide more power than they are rated for. Zeb has a sell on them for like $84 bucks so what the hell I am going to test them out.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rider69
Although they are CDT's entry level components, the CL series is still much better than many other component sets out there in the same price range. The crossover for the CL-641s are made for that component set and I would suggest sticking with that one as the crossover points might be different on the other crossover and like stated above...could do more harm than good.
+1 on that x100. cl's are more than solid for $150 shiped.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by keanders21
Thanks for your responses. I talked with CDT this morning and they said that it would improve my sound quality and imaging and that wouldn't hurt my speakers as long as I don't provide more power than they are rated for. Zeb has a sell on them for like $84 bucks so what the hell I am going to test them out.
I really don't see how that can be. Unless they are using the exact same drivers for both series and just raping people for the top of the line stuff. Different drivers are just that, different. Different impedence and frequency response.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:41 AM

I thought that at first, but the 3-way eurosports and the 3-way CL line both have the same frequency response 55 - 20khz. And they are both 4 ohms. Only sense I can make out of it is the Euros are better at reproducing those frequencies than the CL line, and they handle more power, has a better voice coil, etc. that is why there is a price difference
Old 06-30-2004, 01:19 PM

If the Eurosports indeed handle more power- by this I'm assuming the crossover therefore has larger capacitors/ inductors/ resistors- this could cause a
'resistance load' from the speaker back to the crossover/amp since the Eurosports (even though they play the same frequencies) do so with a lot more power
Old 06-30-2004, 01:29 PM

I thought that at first, but the 3-way eurosports and the 3-way CL line both have the same frequency response 55 - 20khz. And they are both 4 ohms. Only sense I can make out of it is the Euros are better at reproducing those frequencies than the CL line, and they handle more power, has a better voice coil, etc. that is why there is a price difference
You need the response data from each driver.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:59 AM

My mistake the new crossover will allow more power handling for the CL. Here is what CDT told me.

Yes you can and power handling will increase and sound more clean and clear
and detailed

Rgds
John
CDT Customer service

On 6/29/04 9:52 AM, "Anderson, Kevin E.
wrote:

> I have CDT CL 641 3-way component system. Is it possible to change the
> crossover unit from the one that came with it to the ES-300 crossover (one
> for euro sports)? If so would there be any benefit to doing this?
>
> Thanks
Old 07-01-2004, 08:41 AM

My mistake the new crossover will allow more power handling for the CL. Here is what CDT told me.

Yes you can and power handling will increase and sound more clean and clear
and detailed

Rgds
John
CDT Customer service

On 6/29/04 9:52 AM, "Anderson, Kevin E.
wrote:

> I have CDT CL 641 3-way component system. Is it possible to change the
> crossover unit from the one that came with it to the ES-300 crossover (one
> for euro sports)? If so would there be any benefit to doing this?
>
> Thanks
Hmmm. Wish he would have provided some technical info. I'm guessing it is a higher order crossover...can't see how else they would claim improved power handling.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:29 AM

Hopefully it turns out to be so...keep us posted- good luck
Old 07-01-2004, 09:59 AM

I will keep everyone posted. I should have it hook up by next weekend
Old 07-21-2004, 06:22 AM

I got the crossovers and installed them over the weekend and I must say that it improved the detail of sound, imaging, clarity, and bass response. The only thing now is when I rehooked everything back up I introduced an alt whine in my system. I had it before with my old crossovers before I regrounded everything, but it's back.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:01 AM

why is greater power handling of the higher quality crossover so hard to believe? if the caps used in the lower end crossover aren't rated for use in higher power situations then the lower end crossover would handle less power. also same goes with the inductors. if the lower end crossover uses inductors wound with 18awg, they will handle less power than a higher end crossover that uses 16, 14, or even 12awg wound inductors. i don't see what is so hard to believe about this.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
why is greater power handling of the higher quality crossover so hard to believe? if the caps used in the lower end crossover aren't rated for use in higher power situations then the lower end crossover would handle less power. also same goes with the inductors. if the lower end crossover uses inductors wound with 18awg, they will handle less power than a higher end crossover that uses 16, 14, or even 12awg wound inductors. i don't see what is so hard to believe about this.
You forgot the resistors.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
You forgot the resistors.
no i didn't. you can still achieve greater power handling. it's really not that hard to do.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:54 PM

no i didn't. you can still achieve greater power handling. it's really not that hard to do.
Yes you did, you mentioned the caps and coils but failed to mention the resistors. Fact is if a crossover was properly designed in the first place the components would withstand the power leaving the drivers as the weakest link. Not that hard to do.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:51 PM

Yes you did, you mentioned the caps and coils but failed to mention the resistors. Fact is if a crossover was properly designed in the first place the components would withstand the power leaving the drivers as the weakest link. Not that hard to do.
i didnt mention resistors because they dont need to be changed in order to increase the power handling of a crossover. it's not about "properly designing", it's about cost of manufacturing. cheaper caps = less power handling. cheaper coils = less power handling..also cheap coils tend to exhibit a hysteretic effect which increases the power dissipated as heat in a cheap inductor....also skin efect comes into play with iductors wound with round wire as opposed to winding with copper foil. these high end compnents are very costly .
Old 07-21-2004, 09:05 PM

i didnt mention resistors because they dont need to be changed in order to increase the power handling of a crossover. it's not about "properly designing", it's about cost of manufacturing. cheaper caps = less power handling. cheaper coils = less power handling..also cheap coils tend to exhibit a hysteretic effect which increases the power dissipated as heat in a cheap inductor....also skin efect comes into play with iductors wound with round wire as opposed to winding with copper foil. these high end compnents are very costly .
Resistors are important...Is there a componenet system in production that doesn't use an L-pad, inductive rise comp network, or other response shaping networks? All of the above require resistors, and all need more than the typical 1/4W carbon resistor.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:30 AM

Resistors are important...Is there a componenet system in production that doesn't use an L-pad, inductive rise comp network, or other response shaping networks? All of the above require resistors, and all need more than the typical 1/4W carbon resistor.
you're not understanding me. i didn't say resistors were not used. i said they did not need to be changed in order to change an existing design with low power handling to a new design with more power handling. all that needs to be upgraded is the coils and the caps, the resistors can stay the same. if you don't believe that, then go back to the textbooks.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:50 AM

you're not understanding me. i didn't say resistors were not used. i said they did not need to be changed in order to change an existing design with low power handling to a new design with more power handling. all that needs to be upgraded is the coils and the caps, the resistors can stay the same. if you don't believe that, then go back to the textbooks.
My point is that unless you have the crossover in front of you or a copy of the schematic it is impossible to say where the weak point in the design is. You say "change the caps and coils" which might work, but there could be a 5W resistor used where a 10W is required. Do you see my point. A circuit is only as good as it's weakest part. You are probably right that it is the caps and coils, but you could also be wrong.

Also what if the crossover was properly built in the first point and that it is the tweeter that blows. Power handling can then be improved by increasing the slope of the high pass section.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:00 PM

My point is that unless you have the crossover in front of you or a copy of the schematic it is impossible to say where the weak point in the design is. You say "change the caps and coils" which might work, but there could be a 5W resistor used where a 10W is required. Do you see my point. A circuit is only as good as it's weakest part. You are probably right that it is the caps and coils, but you could also be wrong.

Also what if the crossover was properly built in the first point and that it is the tweeter that blows. Power handling can then be improved by increasing the slope of the high pass section.
i see ur point. i wouldnt suggest raising the high pass slope though.