Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

DVC subs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:33 AM
SimStones

DVC subs

Is there any way to wire 2 DVC 4 ohm subs to deliver a 2 ohm load to an amp. I dont think there is, but Circuit City is out of stock and the best thing they got that I can afford is a 4 ohm DVC, but the Memphis amp i have isn't 1 ohm stable, and it only puts out like 300 RMS @ 4. So i was wondering if this is possible???
Old 09-14-2004, 10:57 AM

Nope!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you get three DVC @ 4 ohm it would be 2.67 ohm.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:08 PM
imported_j_maxima

You could just use one coil on each sub. But there would be no benefit to the 2 ohm load by doing that as you would have less efficiency from using only half the coils. It would be kinda plus 3 minus 3 equals nada. Just go to the store on the other side of the street and get the single voice coil subs. Or just get one sub, or four.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:54 PM

What ohm load would you get if you bridged your Memphis amp to 2ohms then wired both of 4ohm DVC subwoofers in series?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:20 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
What ohm load would you get if you bridged your Memphis amp to 2ohms then wired both of 4ohm DVC subwoofers in series?
He cant do that...4Ohm dvc in series...8Ohm, even paralleling that to the amp would leave a 4Ohm load....
Old 09-15-2004, 03:39 PM

Pearl96Max,

Just another quick question for you. Check out this tutorial on "wiring your subs" http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2dvcsp

If you look at this chart (2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel)
Notice how the ohm load is not doubling to 8ohms but is maintianing a 4ohm load when wired in series. My question is why is that happening? You would expect the ohm load to double but it is not. Thats why I asked what ohm load would he get if he bridged the Memphis amp & wired the subs in series. If he wires them in parallel he would get 1ohm but like he mentioned his amp is not stable at that ohm load.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:00 PM

Pearl96Max,

Just another quick question for you. Check out this tutorial on "wiring your subs" http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2dvcsp

If you look at this chart (2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel)
Notice how the ohm load is not doubling to 8ohms but is maintianing a 4ohm load when wired in series. My question is why is that happening? You would expect the ohm load to double but it is not. Thats why I asked what ohm load would he get if he bridged the Memphis amp & wired the subs in series. If he wires them in parallel he would get 1ohm but like he mentioned his amp is not stable at that ohm load.

It actually IS doubling. They did series to make the dual 4s into 8Ohm each, then parallel to make a 4Ohm load. So basically 4Ohm DVC in sries = 8 Ohm, 2 8Ohm subs in parallel = 4Ohm
Old 09-15-2004, 10:25 PM

Pearl96Max,

Ok, so basically the way they show the sub's wired in parallel is eccentially dropping the ohm load seen by the amplifier from 4ohms mono to 2ohms mono. But since the speakers are wire at 8ohms then total ohm load is actually 4ohms.

So that brings up another question???

If you start with a 2ohm load from the amplifier instead of 4ohms, then wire up the 4ohm DVC's in parallel what total ohm load will be seen?

I'm assuming starting with 2ohms (bridged) from the amp instead of 4ohms (normal) then wiring up the 2 subs will force the amp to go 1ohm but since the voice coils are wired in parallel (8ohms) then the total ohm load at the amp should be 2ohms? Is my thinking not logical. Sorry, I'm not trying to become annoying or anything like that just trying to increase my knowledge. I've never been in a situation with any off my equiptment where I had to worry or think about it this hard.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:42 PM

Pearl96Max,

Ok, so basically the way they show the sub's wired in parallel is eccentially dropping the ohm load seen by the amplifier from 4ohms mono to 2ohms mono. But since the speakers are wire at 8ohms then total ohm load is actually 4ohms.

So that brings up another question???

If you start with a 2ohm load from the amplifier instead of 4ohms, then wire up the 4ohm DVC's in parallel what total ohm load will be seen?

I'm assuming starting with 2ohms (bridged) from the amp instead of 4ohms (normal) then wiring up the 2 subs will force the amp to go 1ohm but since the voice coils are wired in parallel (8ohms) then the total ohm load at the amp should be 2ohms? Is my thinking not logical. Sorry, I'm not trying to become annoying or anything like that just trying to increase my knowledge. I've never been in a situation with any off my equiptment where I had to worry or think about it this hard.
You cant really "start" with any load from an amp. The amp will only 'see' what you put into it. In which case is the final load you end up with after wiring the speakers.

With 2 4Ohm DVC subs, there are a few different options...
each sub in parallel= 2Ohm, then both subs in series = 4Ohm to the amp.
each sub in parallel= 2Ohm then both subs in parallel = 1Ohm to the amp.
each sub in series= 8Ohm then both subs in series= 16Ohm to the amp
each sub in series=8Ohm then both subs in parallel=4Ohm to the amp.

Its not annoying at all, its my job. Feel free to ask away and I hope this helped.

--Don
Old 09-15-2004, 11:29 PM

Thanks Don, I just noticed after rereading my post that I mistakenly wrote wire in parallel when I meant to write wire in series. I'm glad to see you understood what I was trying to figure out in my post anyway

Maybe you can help me figure out if I am getting the most out of my system.
Here is a list of my equiptment.
Eclipse H/U model# 8443 (8v preouts)
----------------------------------------------
PPI 5 channel amp model# 5440
30w X 4 @ 4ohms + 120w X 1 @ 4ohms
60w X 4 @ 2ohms + 200w X 1 @ 2ohms
120w x 2 @ 4ohms bridged + 120w x 1 @ 4ohms
JL Audio 12W6v2 (vented enclosure)
JL Audio 6-1/2" components up front
JL Audio 6-1/2" Coaxial in the rear
All wiring & connectors are Phoenix Gold

Well I already know I'm not getting the full potential of my Eclipse H/U. Mainly because I am running 1 amp to run the entire system so I can't take advantage of alot of the Pro mode EQ features mainly the surround sound stuff. That H/U is really best suited for the use of 3 amps. One for ea. high's, mid's & bass, so I'm missing out there. I guess my main concern is if I have the wiring on the amp hooked up correctly. I have my subwoofer wired in parallel so I think I'm getting the full 200watts to the woofer. But I have my highs wired up in 4ohm so I think I'm only sending the 30w rating to those. My main problem is I'm not sure if by running my sub @ 2ohms if it's forcing the amp to generate the 60w rating for the highs?
If you had my equiptment how would you wire it up???

Also, do you think it would be possible to wire up another W6v2 into the system with that amplifier?
Old 09-17-2004, 04:28 PM

Don,

Any thoughts about my last post???????
Old 09-17-2004, 10:13 PM

Thanks Don, I just noticed after rereading my post that I mistakenly wrote wire in parallel when I meant to write wire in series. I'm glad to see you understood what I was trying to figure out in my post anyway

Maybe you can help me figure out if I am getting the most out of my system.
Here is a list of my equiptment.
Eclipse H/U model# 8443 (8v preouts)
PPI 5 channel amp model# 5440
30w X 4 @ 4ohms + 120w X 1 @ 4ohms
60w X 4 @ 2ohms + 200w X 1 @ 2ohms
120w x 2 @ 4ohms bridged + 120w x 1 @ 4ohms
JL Audio 12W6v2 (vented enclosure)
JL Audio 6-1/2" components up front
JL Audio 6-1/2" Coaxial in the rear
All wiring & connectors are Phoenix Gold

Well I already know I'm not getting the full potential of my Eclipse H/U. Mainly because I am running 1 amp to run the entire system so I can't take advantage of alot of the Pro mode EQ features mainly the surround sound stuff. That H/U is really best suited for the use of 3 amps. One for ea. high's, mid's & bass, so I'm missing out there. I guess my main concern is if I have the wiring on the amp hooked up correctly. I have my subwoofer wired in parallel so I think I'm getting the full 200watts to the woofer. But I have my highs wired up in 4ohm so I think I'm only sending the 30w rating to those. My main problem is I'm not sure if by running my sub @ 2ohms if it's forcing the amp to generate the 60w rating for the highs?
If you had my equiptment how would you wire it up???

Also, do you think it would be possible to wire up another W6v2 into the system with that amplifier?
I would actually wire it up the same way myself. Although you could bridge channels 1-4 I still would not only for the sake of imaging or simply put right to left seperation. Typically in any music you would nearly never have something fade front to rear, but some song/trackshave left to right. If bridging the amp you would lose that.

I wouldnt add another sub at all as it would dramatically be lacking in power. If you do in fact want more, then I would say go with a bigger amp or use multiple amps.

--Don
Old 09-17-2004, 11:08 PM

Don,

Thats along the lines of what I was thinking also. I was using a multiple amp set up previous to the purchase of my Eclipse HU & decided to just go with the 5 channel amp to keep things alittle more simple & clean. However since I bought the HU used (about 2 weeks old) from my friend I wasn't up to speed with the Pro mode features prior to purchase. Otherwise I probably would have stuck with a mulitple amp set up. Either way I'm happy with the SQ from my system, it's just hard to get over the fact that I know I'm seriously underpowering all of the speakers.

If I did plan on purchasing a replacement 5 channel amp what would you suggest? I've been looking around lately & haven't been able to find anything worth the effort & money of replacing the PPI. Also i know my model of PPI was built after DEI purchased the company so I know it's not really compariable to the older PPI units. But it seems to really be able to produce very good power. Do you know if this amp is under rated at all PPI model# 5440. Thanks again for all the info & help. Take care!!!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:33 AM

Don,

Thats along the lines of what I was thinking also. I was using a multiple amp set up previous to the purchase of my Eclipse HU & decided to just go with the 5 channel amp to keep things alittle more simple & clean. However since I bought the HU used (about 2 weeks old) from my friend I wasn't up to speed with the Pro mode features prior to purchase. Otherwise I probably would have stuck with a mulitple amp set up. Either way I'm happy with the SQ from my system, it's just hard to get over the fact that I know I'm seriously underpowering all of the speakers.

If I did plan on purchasing a replacement 5 channel amp what would you suggest? I've been looking around lately & haven't been able to find anything worth the effort & money of replacing the PPI. Also i know my model of PPI was built after DEI purchased the company so I know it's not really compariable to the older PPI units. But it seems to really be able to produce very good power. Do you know if this amp is under rated at all PPI model# 5440. Thanks again for all the info & help. Take care!!!!!
I wouldnt consider it underrated as much as conservatively rated. ALot of the "higher" end amps tend to do that. If your happy with it and it works now, then I wouldnmt even bother spending the extra money on a new amp.

--Don
Old 09-18-2004, 02:19 PM

Thats kinda how I feel about it. I mean I'm plenty happy with the overall sound, but sometimes I wish it had alot more "umph" in the low end. Only thing I've really been able to find that is 5 channel that could provide that additional low end is a Kicker amp. I think it's the 700.5 model it provides 400w RMS @ 2ohms so that would double the power I'm sending to the sub. But I've never used Kicker amp's & I'm alittle skeptical about them. Another thing that worries me is how good the high end will sound, I really don't want to sacrifice how clean those sound. Where would you place the Kicker amps as far as product rating? Are these even in the class of say Phoenix gold, PPI, etc. The reason I ask is I have an opertunity to pick one up for $100 bucks used but it's in excellent condition. I figure if it's a decent amp, then it's worth $100 bucks to find out, otherwise I'm not gonna buy it? Thanks again for the help, I really appriciate it.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:03 PM

Thats kinda how I feel about it. I mean I'm plenty happy with the overall sound, but sometimes I wish it had alot more "umph" in the low end. Only thing I've really been able to find that is 5 channel that could provide that additional low end is a Kicker amp. I think it's the 700.5 model it provides 400w RMS @ 2ohms so that would double the power I'm sending to the sub. But I've never used Kicker amp's & I'm alittle skeptical about them. Another thing that worries me is how good the high end will sound, I really don't want to sacrifice how clean those sound. Where would you place the Kicker amps as far as product rating? Are these even in the class of say Phoenix gold, PPI, etc. The reason I ask is I have an opertunity to pick one up for $100 bucks used but it's in excellent condition. I figure if it's a decent amp, then it's worth $100 bucks to find out, otherwise I'm not gonna buy it? Thanks again for the help, I really appriciate it.
The KX 700.5 is one of my best selling 5 channel amps actually. That along with the Phoenix Gold 9.0:5. Generally speaking Ive been happier with the Kicker. When I say "best selling" this is targeted towards the general population of customers that I deal with. Not particulary ones looking for the more higher end stuff...

For $100 I say def go for it, I dont think youll be let down.

--Don
Old 09-18-2004, 03:32 PM

Thanks, I figured for $100 bucks if I wasn't happy with it I could just add it to the pyle of spare equiptment I have laying around. Eventually i'll find a use for it or I'm sure one of my friends will beg me to sell it to them. I'm not big on selling my commodities but I have so much spare equipt I'm gonna have to consider getting rid of some of it. Thanks again fro all the advise!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 03:37 PM

hmm u say get rid of spare equipment? lol im intrested
Old 09-18-2004, 03:57 PM

2 Da Max,

I've kinda promised my friends if I sell any of my stuff that they got first dib's, but if they flake out you'll be the first to know. Also I'm gonna be picking up a Kicker 5 channel amp. So if I'm happy with it I might consider selling my PPI 5 channel amp or the Kicker if i prefer my PPI instead? I'll deffinitly let you know.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:16 PM

Don,

Sorry another question for ya. I was checking out your sound domain page & I noticed you were running either a signal processor or a parametric EQ. I was just wondering if you went that route simple for more tuning ability or if your Eclipse HU was limited as far as the EQ/processing adjustments were concerned. I have a 3 way Audio control parametric EQ in the collection & I'm wondering if I should install it?Would I have to switch the HU selector to off if I run an external EQ like this one? I'm not sure about that since my PPI has a internal EQ with Q bass already built in & the selector switch on the HU is set to on. If you do recommend I install the Audi control EQ will I lose my pro mode feature on the HU?